Moving to america - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-30-2005, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 30
Moving to america

Ive decided to move to America by June at the latest. I was just sitting at home and thought yes thats what I want to do.

Could I ask a favour of some of the American members, just give me a brief description of your area or an area which you know of thats pretty peaceful and laid back, with enough work to go around and place's to rent. I would really appreciate any input, maybe also places not to go lol.

From what ive had said to me about America and the American people it truly sounds like its the place for me. The people who struggle to smile in my village where I live is something I need to leave behind lol, before I get sucked into bieng misrable too.

Thanks in advance, and happy new year

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
Come to Orange County, California. Our governor is great, the weather is nice, and there is much to do. The only problem is you better be making some money, as homes are not cheap.

ps: we have Crystal Cove each Saturday morning.

8)

12 cylinders or walk
post #3 of 15 Old 12-30-2005, 06:25 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 218
Peaceful and laid back eh? Then I would say Santa Fe or Albuquerque, New Mexico (where I live now). The weather is PERFECT and the people are the nicest you'll meet in the US. Very resonable cost of living and a very fast growing area. 8)

I grew up and lived most of my life in New Jersey though. It's nice but I would only recommend it really if you had substanial funds to start off (or a nice job) since it is one of the most expensive states in the country. Taxes and homes can cost you a fortune in the Garden State.

Some nice NJ towns include:

Fredon (small rural town in a very beautiful area)
Stillwater (...)
Hampton (...)
Morristown (very nice town, great downtown area)
Sparta (one of the most expensive towns in the country IIRC)
Morris Plains (same as the above two)
Edison (very nice place, suburbs and all that)
Short Hills (home of Ferrari USA HQ! :lol: )
Mount Olive
Byram

cheaper and more 'city-like' places include: Clifton, Paterson, Newark, Jersey City, Hoboken (lots of yuppies!), Passaic, Union, Nutley

All depends on your line of work and startup money

post #4 of 15 Old 12-30-2005, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Thats great thanks, my starter money will be very limited im just 19, but I could quite happily put up with living in a small place for a while till ive gotten myself sorted out. Is work easy to come by?

Thanks, Steve
post #5 of 15 Old 12-30-2005, 07:03 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 89
Hello Steve,

As you know, moving to another country is a large step- but if you are going to commit to it, then I would suggest Sarasota, Florida. The weather is mostly always sunny, the job market is ranked around tenth of all U.S. cities in terms of growth, the population is 643,000 and growing, with Sarasota being the 3rd(or 6th, I can't remember) fastest growing city in the U.S. The people are very friendly, there is plenty of work, and the workforce is one of the more educated of all U.S. city workforces, in terms of B.A. degrees. I am looking into moving to Sarasota in a few years, and am going to buy a condominium there to rent out while I live in Orlando in the meantime. The rent I want from a tenant should be around 1,100 USD, since that is the going rate in that particular complex. Living expenses in Florida are not as high as some other locations in the U.S., and are in fact comparably low. However, as with most housing markets in the U.S. at this time, homes are overpriced, but since the pound is so much stronger than the USD, that should not be a problem for you if you decide to buy some place here in the near future. In fact, the housing market is starting to roll back slightly, so it might not be a bad idea to make the move to Florida from the UK, considering that a realtor-relative of mine has dealt with many people buying property in Florida who are from the UK. Anyway, I would strongly suggest you consider Sarasota for its lower cost of living and up and coming growth. It's really quite beautiful as well- many people are moving from California where Bart lives and coming to Sarasota to capitalize on the similar beauty of the environment but with lower costs. That's just my opinion. Anyway, if you ever do decide to come to Sarasota, you at least know of one place where you can rent.

Alexander
post #6 of 15 Old 12-31-2005, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Hi Steve,

My recommendation based on your post would be to look for a region of the country not a particular city. If you want slow pace, laid back and friendly then you'll want:

Southeast (Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennesse) I would recommend any of those 4 states. For cities in those states: Atlanta, Savanna, Charleston, Hilton Head, Louisville, Nashville.

Or Southwest (where Botto said: Arizona, New Mexico)

You could even try the Midwest (Oaklahoma, Kansas, Illinois)
post #7 of 15 Old 01-02-2006, 02:17 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 509
Ive lived in California, New York and Pennsylvania and been close enough to New Jersey to know plenty about it.

My suggestion is to figure out which climate you want to be in first. if you want a winter then northeast/New England is great, and most of the northern part of the country. As far as laid back and jobs I would def go for something in Pennsylvania. I used to live in a small town on the eastern side of the state (the town was called Yardley if you have any interest) that was wonderful and close to ever major city you would ever care to go to. Philadelphia is 30 mins away, new york was an hour train ride away, boston and DC were a little further but just a drive away. The state has reasonable taxes and the property value, while substantial, isnt as high as Orange county (used to live there). All of the neighboring states are great as well. I would stay away from new york just cause the taxes alone will kill you. I dont think the job aspect should be a problem. If you're 19 then you havent gone thorugh college yet and (unless things work a little dif in the UK) and you should be able to find great jobs either in a major city, or just outside in a suburb somewhere.

My 2 cents.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
Texas, Texas, Texas = Location, Location, Location 8)

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)
post #9 of 15 Old 01-06-2006, 07:37 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
I'm in St Louis MO, and its a great town with a rich history but its also an acquired taste. For new people, I suggest Portland, OR for a busy nightlife, friendly people, and a low cost of living. Consider also Arizona, North Carolina, Denver, and Northern California. I would avoid SF, Seattle, LA, or NY.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Steve,

Coming from the UK, I would suggest trying Boston first. It is a great college town, plenty of nightlife, and not so big that you feel lost.

Good luck.

Boxer
post #11 of 15 Old 01-09-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Everybody, thankyou very much for your suggestions. Its greatly appreciated.

Steve
post #12 of 15 Old 01-10-2006, 03:37 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 280
I would say California is definately the nicest place in the United States. California has a terrible governor (Bart, you suprise me) but the rest of the state is great.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-10-2006, 04:39 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
i live in southern california, but i'll tell you, the best place to live in the U.S. is north carolina.

you have everything;

-easy living (your money goes a lot further there)
-very nice/clean (unlike most of sothern california)
-lots of jobs
-4 actual seasons (unlike the perpetual summer of s. cal)
-hospitality (everyone in the south is great. you don't have to worry about getting shot if you wave at somebody).
-history
-mountains/plains/beach (just like s. cal, but a bit farther apart).

there are a lot of great towns in NC, but i'd look at Charlotte (biggest and very close to South Carolina), Raleigh/Durham, Wilmington (if you like the beach). anywhere really.

good luck with your search. let us know what you find.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-15-2006, 10:16 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn156
i live in southern california, but i'll tell you, the best place to live in the U.S. is north carolina.
As the great Baz Luhrman once said: "Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard; live
in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.."

I don't know if it's true or not... but it sounds like great advice. Besides... almost everything else he mentioned in that song (Sunscreen) is very true.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-04-2006, 12:20 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
Hi Steve,

My recommendation based on your post would be to look for a region of the country not a particular city. If you want slow pace, laid back and friendly then you'll want:

Southeast (Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennesse) I would recommend any of those 4 states. For cities in those states: Atlanta, Savanna, Charleston, Hilton Head, Louisville, Nashville.

Or Southwest (where Botto said: Arizona, New Mexico)

You could even try the Midwest (Oaklahoma, Kansas, Illinois)

I have to agree with Enzo here, I live in Maine, the People are layed back but tend to be very independent, good jobs can be hard to find, and you can really only expect the weatherman to be correct 50% of the time. I have been to many of the places mentioned in this post but I really liked Savanna GA. If I did'nt have the commitments I had here I would have moved long ago.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode