Jeep vs. Land Rover - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 10-29-2005, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Jeep vs. Land Rover

From the ashes of the Lambo vs. Ferrari post rises this post. The one you've all been waiting for.

The Jeep has a long heritage dating back to WW1 when the US Army first recognized the need for a light , fast, all-terrain vehicle to replace the horse. In 1940 a contest was held with Ford, Bantam and Willys as the contenders. The Willys design won hands down and the Jeep was born in time for America's participation in WW2. Dwight Eisenhower said that we could not have won the war without the Jeep. The soldiers loved the go-anywhere-do-anything vehicle so much that they began purchasing the surplus Jeeps after the war. Willys then began producing a civilian version. The production of Jeeps has gone from Willys (and even Ford during the war) to Kaiser to AMC and finally to Chrysler. The companies that build them come and go but the Jeep itself just won't die. The current version, the TJ Wrangler is the most capable 4x4 in the world. The Rubicon edition comes stock with 31" tires, locking differentials and a 4:1 transfer case and at 190 hp the new engine is a far cry from the original 60hp, 4-cyl. The new 6-cyl has 235 ft/lbs of torque and Chrysler states that 85% of that is available at idle. The base model Wrangler SE can be had for around $18k brand new making it a vehicle practically anyone can own.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-29-2005, 07:57 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
I have never driven any all terrain car

so I can´t have an opinion

both are cool

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #3 of 22 Old 10-29-2005, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Do this in your Ferrari!
Attached Images

Capt. Pete

post #4 of 22 Old 10-29-2005, 08:04 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
great picture, pete!!

did you get out of there by yourself??

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #5 of 22 Old 10-29-2005, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine
great picture, pete!!

did you get out of there by yourself??
Oh yeah, drove right through. Here's some pics of a place I stopped just to take the photo.
Attached Images

Capt. Pete
post #6 of 22 Old 10-29-2005, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Here's a recent pic. Now who can tell me that they'ed rather be driving a Land Rover??
Attached Images

Capt. Pete
post #7 of 22 Old 10-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I still don't understand how you can just stop like that and not have the car not start with water in the exhaust. Maybe I didn't look at the photo close enough, is your exhaust vertical like a big rig?

Also how on earth does the engine not fill up with water?
post #8 of 22 Old 10-29-2005, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Here's another view you may enjoy.

Edit - you can barely see the Ferrari Forum sticker in the back window. In the full size pic you can clearly make out the sticker.
Attached Images

Capt. Pete
post #9 of 22 Old 10-29-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
I still don't understand how you can just stop like that and not have the car not start with water in the exhaust. Maybe I didn't look at the photo close enough, is your exhaust vertical like a big rig?

Also how on earth does the engine not fill up with water?
The exhaust comes out behind the driver's rear wheel. I didn't shut the engine off. It sounded like an outboard motor. "Bla-blub-blub-blub".

Although the exhaust was underwater, the engine never was (at least not completely) so as long as the air can come in, the exhaust will blow itself free.

The engine is actually quite high in this vehicle, the carburettor is about 4' off the ground.

BTW- if you do stall and the exhaust is underwater, it will fill up. The engine may be hard to start, if it will start at all. But once you get it high and dry and get it running the water will quickly drain out and boil off.

Here's an aftermath photo. Nothing a pressure washer can't take care of.
Attached Images

Capt. Pete
post #10 of 22 Old 10-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
My deaughter wishes to purchase one. I took her to a place in Laguna Beach which had 20 - 35 Jeeps.

Is it a good car for a young woman?

8)

12 cylinders or walk
post #11 of 22 Old 10-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
Say, those are very nice plates you have.

8)

12 cylinders or walk
post #12 of 22 Old 10-30-2005, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
My deaughter wishes to purchase one. I took her to a place in Laguna Beach which had 20 - 35 Jeeps.

Is it a good car for a young woman?

8)
It's an excellent car for a young woman. Easy to get in and out of, great visibility, easy to manuever and park, the new ones all have anti-lock brakes and airbags, and the price is right. Also inexpensive and easy to repair when the odd little mishap occurs.
The older Jeeps drive like trucks, the new Jeeps ride and handle like cars but still have the durability of a truck.
Oh, and the new Jeeps also have the "fold and tumble" rear seat that gives you a huge amount of storage space when the woman shopping gene kicks in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
Say, those are very nice plates you have.

8)
Thanks. :green: :green: Say Bart, did your son ever apply to Transocean? I never heard back from either you or him. We just had a DP Operator quit and need one NOW. Or did he get a job somewhere else already?

Capt. Pete
post #13 of 22 Old 10-30-2005, 06:41 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
Do this in your Ferrari!
YES !!! please do !!! Drown a ferrari like that please
post #14 of 22 Old 10-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Hey Pete... you running Dana diffs ???

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #15 of 22 Old 10-30-2005, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum6464
Hey Pete... you running Dana diffs ???
It's a Dana 30 in the front with a Detroit TruTrac limited slip differential, Warn high-strength axles and 4.56 gears.

The rear is the AMC model 20 with a Lock-Rite locking differential, Superior Gear one-piece axles, 4.56 gears, welded tubes and modified Dana 60 spring perches.

Capt. Pete
post #16 of 22 Old 10-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Anyone who has Dana diff knows his Jeeps and trails ! And you have a locker in the front...good man ! best place to have it !

Im impressed ! (doesn't happen too often)

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #17 of 22 Old 10-30-2005, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Anyone who has Dana diff knows his Jeeps and trails ! And you have a locker in the front...good man ! best place to have it !

Im impressed ! (doesn't happen too often)
Actually, in the front it is only the axle housing that is made be Dana, I took out all the guts and put in stuff that was better.

And it's only locked in the rear, the front is limited-slip. My reason for not going with a full locker in the front is that I don't want all 4 tires losing traction at the same time. Gravity takes over at that point and the whole Jeep goes downhill. With the TruTrac, the power shifts back and forth to whichever wheel has the most traction. So I've always got one front tire that is not spinning and can use that for a kind of anchor to help fight the affects of gravity. With the full locker in the back, usually the back end will fall off downhill and point the vehicle where I am trying to go anyway - Uphill.

Capt. Pete
post #18 of 22 Old 10-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Owner
Elite Member

I had a 44 in the rear and a 30 in the front, rear had a full locker and the front had a air locker...fantastic, If I remember, I think my T-Case was a 20, its been a while (10 years).

had a 350 engine with a little over 300hp and almost 400 lbs of torque. Man she was a gas guzzler but ran like hell ! Buddy of mine, his father owned an ambulance company and I bought an alternator from them, had 500w. Was great for winching and lights.

I got rid of it about 2 years after I was done building it. Got tired of pulling buddies who did not want to put one dime into their trucks and I would spend 90% of my wheeling time with them pulling them out. I met a Off Road club in my area but they were older guys and treated me like shit. In the 4 treks with them. They had me go last thrugh their tracks and man did they dig the trails. Was pretty tuff, I got stuck once (got myself out) and everyone got stuck at least once per run. When I tried to help they kept saying "hey kid...watch and learn...." I thought learn....im not the one who got stuck because I cant drive ! (what I thought, not what I said) these guys were in their 40's and they looked down on me. I didn't like that. It got harder and harder to find trails and buddies to go wheeling (they had stock trucks)

I was 20 and drove and handled the trail better than them and had a better truck. My friend/spotter couldn't believe how they were treating me. I said to him I know...maybe it was an initiation test. I didn't stick around long enough to find out.

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #19 of 22 Old 10-31-2005, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
had a 350 engine with a little over 300hp and almost 400 lbs of torque. Man she was a gas guzzler but ran like hell ! Buddy of mine, his father owned an ambulance company and I bought an alternator from them, had 500w. Was great for winching and lights.

I met a Off Road club in my area but they were older guys and treated me like shit. these guys were in their 40's and they looked down on me. I didn't like that. It got harder and harder to find trails and buddies to go wheeling (they had stock trucks)
That's quite a powerful engine for a Jeep. I have the original 6-cyl in mine but it is beefed up a bit, I figure I'm somewhere around 150-160 hp. I don't care much for most of the V-8 Jeep crowd. A lot of them are yahoos who just want to show you how much noise they can make. You know the ones I mean. They'll get in a mud hole and the right foot will come down and the mud will be flying and then they'll bite into a rock and you can hear the snap of the axle a half mile away. They'll be under their Jeep, in the mud, trying to figure out how to repair the axle and I'll drive around them (winch if I have to) and be like, "Wow, I'm impressed, that's quite a motor you got in there! My Jeep doesn't have enough power to break that part!"

And don't knock the older guys! I'm one of them! Today is my birthday and I turn 41. Those offroad clubs are usually pretty tight knit little communities and it's tough being the new guy. They're like a pack of dogs running in circles sniffing butts trying to figure out who's who. But once you've proven yourself and been accepted by the pack, you're family.

Capt. Pete
post #20 of 22 Old 10-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
And don't knock the older guys! I'm one of them! Today is my birthday and I turn 41. Those offroad clubs are usually pretty tight knit little communities and it's tough being the new guy. They're like a pack of dogs running in circles sniffing butts trying to figure out who's who. But once you've proven yourself and been accepted by the pack, you're family.
Happy B-Day !!!!!!!!!!

I used to be a mechanic back then and my uncle owned (and still does) a garage and specializes in racing engines as well. I was able to pick up the engine really cheap. The Jeep I had was cheap because the engine was seized when I bought it. The rest was good so I dropped the engine in it, was a job but fun.

I was young back then and they were all much older than me, nothing against older guys but they kept bashing my Jeep. They had Toyotas, Nissans, Full size pickups and 80’s Bronco’s. I was the only Jeep. They would sit on 38+ tires with barely any engine mods if any running either 4-6 cyl in the imports or underpowered V8 engine in the full size trucks. Most had no winch, just come alongs (give me a break). They would mash the gas, dig the trail, get stuck and blow parts, then get upset and kick their trucks. I would sit and wait with my buddy in the truck laughing. I loved to crawl at low speed avoiding wheel spin at all cost (tread lightly) and I thought it was cooler to cross slow and make it than mash it and dig it ! They had ok gear but my Jeep was the “Equipment Box” if they sold it, I had it. Had an onboard welder, air pump w/tank, a 10K winch with all the straps and blocks, snorkel, all vents were up high, 2 shovels a high lift, a strapped down cooler, extra gas cans, oils, joints, spare hubs, and my tools. She was heavy so the extra power helped. I even had garbage bags for trail clean up as we went.

I was pretty good at wheeling and my buddy was a very good spotter. I had lots of fun but hated being talked down to when I researched how to build a good machine to have fun and help others if need be. Like I said, I went on 4 treks and I had enough.

I miss my Jeep but love my Sierra !

1990 348 TS (87284)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode