Working on the Truck - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-13-2005, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Working on the Truck

Here's what I did today. The right front wheel bearing let go in the truck. My wife and sister-in-law drove it with the bad wheel bearing so it trashed the brake rotor also. Used to be you could just throw in some grease and tighten the bearings up a little. Not anymore, it is a "Unit wheel bearing/hub assembly" and goes for $340 through Dodge. I was able to get a new brake rotor through double discount for $30. Including the pads it was a $400 day (and that is doing all the work myself!).

Who was it that was saying Ferrari parts are expensive?
Attached Images

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 06:59 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
I admire people that repair their own car

I hope someday IŽll be able to do the same!

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #3 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine
I admire people that repair their own car

I hope someday IŽll be able to do the same!
Then you ought to enjoy this topic: http://www.ferrariforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1810

My buddy and I completely rebuilt my Jeep including a new frame!

You'll have to click on "download" to view the pictures but I think it's worth it.

Capt. Pete

post #4 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I am impressed. Way beyond my mechanical abilities.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-15-2005, 05:36 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 509
Looks like you have some heavy machinery there. Thats awesome. I just recently replaced the lower control arms and bushings on the BMW which wasnt a hard job. It would have been cheaper had I been able to just get bushings and press them into carriers, but alas, no press in my apt!

Very cool pete.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-16-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJunc
Looks like you have some heavy machinery there. Thats awesome. I just recently replaced the lower control arms and bushings on the BMW which wasnt a hard job. It would have been cheaper had I been able to just get bushings and press them into carriers, but alas, no press in my apt!

Very cool pete.
Thanks all,
You don't know how many parts I've ruined with a hammer before I bought a press. This one is a small one I bought for $140. It has paid for itself many times over changing wheel studs, pinion gears, ball joints, axle bearings etc.

Funky Junc,
I feel for you man, I used to live in a second floor walk up and I actually rebuilt a Triumph motorcycle in that apartment. It is nice once you get a garage and can start collecting some serious tools like presses, air compressors, torches and welders, etc. Just a decent workbench with a good vise is awesome!!

Lots of fun!!!

Capt. Pete
post #7 of 14 Old 09-17-2005, 08:22 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Yesterday I repaired my bike. Respect for me :P

Front fork was a bit broken (actually... one side was completely through) and I got a new one which cost me € 5 and then I found out that the splitting part of the steerpipe that goes into the ballhead was also broken and I got a new one for free. Took me a few hours but I got it done. Too bad I didn't take pictures.

Oh by the way... Dr.Bob helped a bit so he deserves some of the credit too :P
post #8 of 14 Old 09-17-2005, 08:48 AM

Pete, you are my hero! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

post #9 of 14 Old 09-17-2005, 07:01 PM

Pete, you're killing me. Ive accumulated a couple tools I wouldnt have normally have had (Jack stands, Jack, torque wrench etc.) but I wish I was at my house where I have the world at my fingertips.

I find that 'skill' isnt necessary the operative expression with respect to mechanics, its more patience than anything else, so congrats!

You dont even know how much I miss little things like a compressor ... ugh.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-17-2005, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJunc
Pete, you're killing me. Ive accumulated a couple tools I wouldnt have normally have had (Jack stands, Jack, torque wrench etc.) but I wish I was at my house where I have the world at my fingertips.

I find that 'skill' isnt necessary the operative expression with respect to mechanics, its more patience than anything else, so congrats!

You dont even know how much I miss little things like a compressor ... ugh.
Sounds like you've got the basics for serious work and you know which tools are the "must have" and which are the "nice to have". All the other stuff just makes the job easier. I've done front end rebuilds like you did on your car without a press, but now that I have one I can't imagine being without it. (I've even got a parts washer, eat your heart out! :green: )

I guess the key is to have confidence in your abilities, have a plan, and make sure you know what is going to happen at each step of the job. And be prepared to deal with the unforseen, broken, stripped, rusted bolts etc., that's where the patience comes in, like you said. It's an obstacle, overcome it, move on.

It's all about information. When I switched my Ferrari over from point-type to electronic ignition, I first read everything I could about how the Ferrari point ignition worked and the theory behind it, then read everything about the new ignition, asked people (on this site) who had done it, wrote to manufacturers, etc. Although I had never done an ignition conversion on a dual distributer Ferrari before, I knew exactly what I was doing before I pulled the first wire. The job went flawlessly and the car fired up on the first try.

It is also about experience, some jobs you do so often that you don't even think about them. I can pull my Jeep into the garage and 20 minutes later have both front axles laying on the ground.

Brakes, suspension and driveline is what I'm real good at. On the Jeep I even converted the rear drum brakes to disc brakes (from a late model T-bird). I installed an adjustable proportioning valve so I can tune the brake bias from all rear brakes to all front brakes and everywhere in between right from the dashboard. On the street you want them 60% front/40% rear but offroad a lot of times it is nice being able to shut off the brakes to one end of the Jeep. I've also modified the transfer case so that not only can I go from rear wheel drive to 4 wheel drive, I can also select front wheel drive only. (I've got 3 shifters in my Jeep).

Capt. Pete
post #11 of 14 Old 09-18-2005, 09:04 PM

this last job was my first supension job, and it wasnt too terrible. I, like you, like to be informed about my projects. I got all the necessary info first and pretty much knew what to expect going into the job.

Interestingly I dont have much repetition in my work. Most jobs Ive done once or twice and moved on. Most of my work has been in the engine compartment of my Chevelle. Headers, radiator, transmission fluid lines, blown intake gasket (that was a fin job), and other random ones. My rotors were destroyed once, tackled that job, and the suspension has been ok (knock on wood).

I guess it boils down to experience and patience. Have knowledge and practical knowledge (experience) can be a big help in projects. Similar obstacles tend to manifest themsleves (stripped bolts, etc) and being prepared is definately cool, ha.

I envy you pete, a parts cleaner ... thats nuts (pun intended). You know your garage is complete when you purchase your parts cleaner. I still have to soak my bolts in gasoline and scrub them with a wire brush!
post #12 of 14 Old 09-19-2005, 07:47 AM

Pete, did you learn everything just experimenting? Or did you have a teacher or something like that?

post #13 of 14 Old 09-19-2005, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine
Pete, did you learn everything just experimenting? Or did you have a teacher or something like that?
Let's just say I've been around.

Capt. Pete
post #14 of 14 Old 09-19-2005, 05:06 PM

:lol: I want to take a course about automotive mechanic, and see if I can start to make things happen here

my cousin is thinking about building a car with some friends from college

I donŽt know how thatŽs going to work out, but for sure weŽll learn a lot

the goal is to own a Formula 1 team someday

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode