Should I...? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 09-09-2005, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 218
Should I...?

Quote:
1966 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM, red beauty, mostly original, interior almost like new, original owners manual, 50700 miles, must sell, $4, 500 or best offer, must sell, . 505-265-5755.
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...2/80597142.htm

---

Offer the guy something like 4 grand if the car looks good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-09-2005, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
1978 CADILLAC ELDORADO, BIARRITZ, red, runs excellent, power windows, power door locks, cruise, climate control, leather, fully loaded, must see, $2500 OBO.
Thats another one in my area, price looks very low... I'd have to give this one a good 'checking out' before deciding

No pic of it on the site, but it should look something like this: (without the red hubcaps)

post #3 of 22 Old 09-09-2005, 10:50 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 509
DEF have it looked at by a couple guys who know what they're lookin at. A good old school indy garage would be best. Problem areas would be wheel wells (if they're metal) and undercarage (BIG one). If the body looks good Id start looking for other things like welding joints where the body has been fixed (ie the wheel wells ... feel for a seem where they might have joined a patch pannel or a whole fender).

Undecarage would be a big one but it would be hard to miss if you got it on a lift, so do what you can.

Looks to be a good buy if alls in order. Biggest thing is to have it checked out. Ive seen many people crumble because the car had MANY problems that werent explicated.

Also (with respect to the first car you posted) look for service records for an extended period of time. The car is a '66 and has 50k miles. that means someone has taken care of it and SHOULD have the documentation to back it up.

Otherwise all looks good. The pic looks really clean so you should be good to go!

Good luck!!!

post #4 of 22 Old 09-10-2005, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Where I am there are ALOT of old car shops and the dry desert heat tends to lend itself towards preserving old cars (there are many on the roads here as daily drivers)

The 'low rider' culture started here (Espanola) so there is a dozen places that specialize in old Caddys

I am still looking around, maybe even at the 70s Lincoln 2-doors
post #5 of 22 Old 09-10-2005, 08:59 AM

I forgot you live in NM!! Youre very lucky.

Out here in the midddle of PA you have to deal with rust, sometimes A LOT of rust. It always turns out to be the undercarage or something. You cant even find a 15 year old car without rust. Bummer, eh?

Good luck on your hunt, sounds like fun and cool cars.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Re: Should I...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botto

Quote:
1966 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM, red beauty, mostly original, interior almost like new, original owners manual, 50700 miles, must sell, $4, 500 or best offer, must sell, . 505-265-5755.
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...2/80597142.htm

---

Offer the guy something like 4 grand if the car looks good?
Do you enjoy driving this sort of car ?
post #7 of 22 Old 09-11-2005, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Yes, Old Caddys and Lincolns like that are some of my fav. classic cars

I live in NM now but you can't take New Jersey out of my heart! hehe :lol: :lol:
post #8 of 22 Old 09-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I prefer the '50s American cars. Mid '60s to the '80s were not their best years in my opinion. Way too big and just outright ugly.

Let us know how it works out.
post #9 of 22 Old 09-11-2005, 03:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Andrew... you're forgetting that american cars plain suck at cornering and stuff like that.

If you want a that's reliable buy Japanese. Especially Toyota almost never breaks down

If you want a GREAT ride... buy french. They install fabulous seats

If you want a plain good car... buy german. Quite anonymous... but the Vento (Jetta 3 in the States) is a very nice car to travel long distances

If you want some sort of style... buy italian. Except for ferrari the last 30 years ofcourse

But American cars have lousy grip, traction and are gas-guzzlers. When you hit a bump... you still feel it miles down the road.

But that's just my opinion
post #10 of 22 Old 09-11-2005, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Cars like these arent built for cornering or handling, they were designed as highway haulers and boulevard cruisers

I've driven alot of cars, in fact right now I have a German, Japanese and American vehicle, each has their own faults and their own advantages.
As for American cars, I tend to agree with you, American cars have lost alot in the recent years but they are making a comeback (hopefully). For me personally, these big dinosaur cars from the 60s to 70s just have something that nothing around today has, I can't explain it, maybe its class, maybe its attitude, maybe its the tacky chrome and bench seats.... its just something. Growing up where I did, these were the cars that people wanted to be seen in (esp Italian people! LOL) and maybe that just rubbed off on me but I love these big cars from another era just as much as I love Ferrari, Alfa, Benz, Bimmer, Acura et. all.

I'm a car-fan who doesn't care about nationality I guess

post #11 of 22 Old 09-12-2005, 02:19 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
although the cars are uneconomical and huge and are a pain in the ass to corner, I tend to like them as well. Cruising around the boulevard playing the beach boys on the stereo and the sun out and shining
post #12 of 22 Old 09-12-2005, 03:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
I used to hate the huge American models until I played the Gran Turismo 4. I found the old giant American models are cool. My favourite is the Buick Special. Wow, would I like to have that car.
post #13 of 22 Old 09-12-2005, 03:53 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
And that's about the most curious thing about american cars. They do have something. They suck in cornering, handling and a lot of other things... but they breathe the american dream or something.

I'm pretty sure it's not style... because they're pretty tacky
I'm pretty sure it's not size either... because they're just too big

Funny cars... american cars... from a technical or aestetic stance... one should dismiss 'em... but there's something...

My favorites are the Cobra and the Pink Cadillac with the big wings by the way :P
post #14 of 22 Old 09-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Cars like these arent built for cornering or handling, they were designed as highway haulers and boulevard cruisers
Thank you for clearing this up. I should know by now that he is only hear to antagonize. I guess the Corvette Sting Ray doesn't handle well. :roll:
post #15 of 22 Old 09-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
I should know by now that he is only hear to antagonize.
Your just figuring that out!?!?! He comes to a Ferrari site and openly states that he hates Ferraris and everything they stand for. Basosz and I have been going back and forth on this site for years. He and I have a "mutual aggression" pact that we have been fostering. It is not personal, we have different views and we discuss them here. He is wrong, and I like to tell him why.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #16 of 22 Old 09-12-2005, 01:17 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
He is wrong, and I like to tell him why.
:green:
post #17 of 22 Old 09-12-2005, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
Quote:
I should know by now that he is only hear to antagonize.
He is wrong, and I like to tell him why.
Ha ...

Like Ive mentioned a past couple posts I own a 70 Chevelle SS and (I dont know if Ive mentioned this) but my father owns a 1969 Chevelle Malibu. Both the cars have something very special about them ... and its not tacky styling. Its not one thing, per se, its the combination of things and what it represents (which is something distinct and not from this generation at all). My dad and I both love our cars, and its something to enjoy.

I attached a picture of me (when I was 15 and bought the car) and my dad with his chevelle. Enjoy! I apologize for the resolution, Ill have to look for a better pic.
Attached Images

post #18 of 22 Old 09-12-2005, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for clearing this up. I should know by now that he is only hear to antagonize. I guess the Corvette Sting Ray doesn't handle well. :roll:
I was talking about Cadillacs and Lincolns when i said "not built for cornering or handling"

@FunkyJunc: Great cars! I love the red!
post #19 of 22 Old 09-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Botto,

My Corvette comment was aimed at Basos's comment about American cars not handling well. My mis-communication.
post #20 of 22 Old 09-12-2005, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Ahh OK

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode