Top ten Ferrari's - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-01-2005, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 72
Top ten Ferrari's

I was in Jackson Hole, Wy. for the last week for a bit of a break and to go drive a friends new 430. Nice car, not a 12 cylinder mind you but a nice car all the same. Sounds and handles fantastic, a reasonable second
Ferrari in my opinion (except for the price inflation on them right now) I just did not like it as much as the 550. At any rate I picked up the latest Motor Trend Classic, as it has the top ten Ferrari's in it, considered the perfect ten in fact. Some of them I agree with like the #1 being the 250 GTO, no arguement there, but the 550/575 did not even make thealmost perfect list. What the.......???? Especially over the likes of a 116MM or the 206/246 Dino, do not get me wrong the Dino is a great looking car but isn't the true criteria for a Great Ferrari looks and proformance, the last time I was in a Dino I had to keep it so wound up I thought that little 2.0 liter v-6 was going to blow up. Cornered well but slow........almost every 250 made it, but very few modern cars, save the Enzo. So is it just me or is the top ten list a bit amiss.....

Mikel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-01-2005, 06:32 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 509
In issue 64 (the current) of FORZA magazine they rated the top ten road cars by period opposed to ALL TIME. They also anounced that they were going to do the same for further generations etc. I thought this was a far better idea than the "greatest of all time" idea.

I know what you're saying abou the Dino and the only reason I can imagine it made the list was because of its influence on subsequent Ferrari road cars. It was a cheaper alternative to the typical ferrari of the day but stll had the appeal etc.

In any case, I wish I could comment about the 550/575 but alas ... never driven it

Ill have to wait for the next instalment of FORZA to see what thay have to say about the 70's
post #3 of 12 Old 09-05-2005, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Picked up the new Forza and I do prefer as to how they classify Ferrari's, by the era. It seems much more logical to me as each era of Ferrari has its own unique and special models, not to mention production rates. I too am waiting for the next issue.

Mikel

post #4 of 12 Old 09-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
No need to wait for the next Forza issue to come out. THey have posted the article on the website. It is:

www.forza-mag.com
post #5 of 12 Old 09-08-2005, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Boxer,
Thank you for the tip and link, I was pleased to see the 550 in there and the comment that some people felt like it was/is the best of an era, but it lives with some very stiff competition as Ferrari has and continues to build some fantastic cars. I am optimistic that with the great success of the 550 line, that Ferrari continues to evolve the 12 cylinder front engine platform into more models, maybe something lighter and in a spyder style for my second Ferrari.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-08-2005, 08:34 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
do you prefer front engines? why?

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #7 of 12 Old 09-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine
do you prefer front engines? why?
I prefer to have the "iron lump" behind my head.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-09-2005, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

I much prefer to have a front engine car. With the way I drive, and grew up driving, a front engine is much more stable, predictable and more to my liking. As a youth I drove dirt track sprint cars, lots of torque, short track etc... and front engine. As I got older I shifted to drag cars of the 1200 hp variety and after I got tired of just going straight for a 1/4 mile I wanted to once again turn corners so I started road racing/track racing in a C4 Corvette, I really liked having both left and right hand corners. The Vette has a perfect 50/50 balance and with a bit of motor work some real hp. The Corvette is a great car and I still own one, but wanted something a bit more exotic so I bought a Pantera and set it up to race. I quickly found out that if one let up on the throttle in a corner, say hello to the rearend, my 930 slopenose Porsche was much worse, spent a long time spinning around. So then I got a Viper GTS. With a high hp front engine car you can throttle steer but when the rear breaks loose it is much easier to bring back in line, I can slide around a corner and bring it right back to my line and keep going, a rear engine car does not handle like that for a number of reasons, with the exception of some perfectly designed and balanced cars. A lot of it is a matter of driving style. I would however like to take an Enzo out and change my mind, or at least try. Sorry for getting so long winded, so why do you guys prefer mid/ rear engines???

Mikel
post #9 of 12 Old 09-09-2005, 06:53 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Mikel, so you prefer front engines because that makes the car more predictable in corners and easier to drive?

Boxer, why do you prefer rear engines?

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #10 of 12 Old 09-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Hard to say. I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference. I like the feel and balance of the mid engine. Once you get used to it, it is great fun to run through the twisty stuff. The sound of the 12 cylinder carb feed engine right behind you is not bad either.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-09-2005, 10:08 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Motor Trend Classic Top 10

Also saw the MT Classic article. Surprised not to see the 550 or the Lusso. Totally disagree with including the Enzo - too new to be a "classic" IMHO.

Not surprised to see 456GT omitted, but that's why I can afford one!
post #12 of 12 Old 10-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Re: Motor Trend Classic Top 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo

Not surprised to see 456GT omitted, but that's why I can afford one!
Yes, but running one will eat into your wallet. From experience, this is not a Ferrari for the frugal.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode