LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Nice garage

Just found this picture...

288 GTO, Enzo, F50, TR 60, GTB and a F40

In Florida

Pretty cool!!!

looks better on the original resolution, but itīs too large and the forum doesnīt accept it....
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 05:40 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
I see that Andrew invited you over to his summer home!
...I have yet to see it...

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)
post #3 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

who is Andrew?

the picture wasnīt taken by me, Iīm too far away from Florida...

post #4 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 07:01 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 69
He was joking. That picture has been posted soooooooooooooooo many times
post #5 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 07:17 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
That looks just like my garage!!

Except mine's only 3 bays, the ceiling is unfinished (and only half as high), it is not as well lit, it only has 2 windows instead of a wall of windows, the floor is asphalt instead of brick and instead of several million dollars worth of Ferraris I just have one 25-year old 308. The other bays have a Mercedes, a lawn tractor, various other lawn care equipment, power tools, workbench, air compressor, a table with piles of dirty rags and car cleaning stuff, shelving units crammed with various fluids and piles of junk I will never use but is too good to throw away.

Maybe I should install a few oil paintings and some trees between the doors?

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #6 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Owner
Elite Member

OK, we've seen the dream garage. Now here's the "real" garage.

I just cleaned it out this spring, but with all the projects going on (boat, Jeep, carpentry, painting, etc.) the junk just piles back up. I don't know how people fit 3 cars in a 3 car garage.
Attached Images

Capt. Pete
post #7 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi
He was joking. That picture has been posted soooooooooooooooo many times

sorry, guys
Iīm new here, you know.......

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #8 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

thatīs a nice garage, Pete!! I donīt think Iīll ever buy an E-Series Mercedes (even if I can afford it someday), but itīs a nice car

and the Ferrari............. well, itīs a Ferrari, thatīs enough!!

in my garage you can park 3 cars, but you can see on the left side there is enough space to pass with a car and put it on the back yard

so we have 5 vehicles and 3 motorcycles, althogh only 3 can stay in the garage

the cars in the picture donīt belong to my father

the Audi is from a friend, the Focus is from another friend, the Vectra (on the right) is from another friend, and the white on the left (GM Celta) belongs to my grandmother

brazilian houses are VERY different from american houses
Attached Images

post #9 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine
thatīs a nice garage, Pete!! I donīt think Iīll ever buy an E-Series Mercedes (even if I can afford it someday), but itīs a nice car

and the Ferrari............. well, itīs a Ferrari, thatīs enough!!

in my garage you can park 3 cars, but you can see on the left side there is enough space to pass with a car and put it on the back yard

so we have 5 vehicles and 3 motorcycles, althogh only 3 can stay in the garage

the cars in the picture donīt belong to my father

the Audi is from a friend, the Focus is from another friend, the Vectra (on the right) is from another friend, and the white on the left (GM Celta) belongs to my grandmother

brazilian houses are VERY different from american houses
Thanks!

Yes, Brazilian houses are very different than American houses but then again, the climate is quite different. The houses in the US vary from North to South and East to West also. Up in Yankee-land (New England), a garage is fully enclosed to protect the car from not only the sun and rain in the summer, but from the snow and artic wind in the winter. What you've got is something that we'd probably call an "open carriage barn".

You are right about the E-Class being a nice car. This one is a E-300TD and it's a pleasure to drive. Excellent high speed stability, the best brakes I've ever put my foot on and a killer sound system to boot. Plus it gets about 40 mpg.

And I've also got 2 vehicles and a boat that live outside.

Capt. Pete
post #10 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

the garage is not the only part that is different

you use usually wood on your houses (thatīs odd to me, because it makes a lot of noise when you walk around the house)

we use green-forced concrete, so our houses seem to be more "solid"

that brings differences also about fire: Iīve never heard of a brazilian house that burned, but in the USA that happens sometimes

another difference is that we use fences, and you donīt, so our neighborhoods look more "poluted"

my house is an exception, we have that wood fence, but you can see my neighbors have metal fences

here it is very common to have swimming pools, in the USA thatīs very rare

Iīll post some other pictures of my house soon
Attached Images

post #11 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

just wondering...

is it available in the USA an Audi A3 with a 180 hp 1.8 turbo engine?

how much does it cost there?

here it costs 100 thousand R$, or about 42 thousand US$

post #12 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 06:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
Hi Pete,
I like your garage. And it looks like you've got lots of room in the driveway as well. I only have a two-stall and have to rent space elsewhere. Are you planning to put something special in the 3rd stall?

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)
post #13 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:

you use usually wood on your houses (thatīs odd to me, because it makes a lot of noise when you walk around the house)

we use green-forced concrete, so our houses seem to be more "solid"

that brings differences also about fire: Iīve never heard of a brazilian house that burned, but in the USA that happens sometimes

another difference is that we use fences, and you donīt, so our neighborhoods look more "poluted"

my house is an exception, we have that wood fence, but you can see my neighbors have metal fences

here it is very common to have swimming pools, in the USA thatīs very rare

Iīll post some other pictures of my house soon
Yeah, you use what you've got. Here in Maine we have a lot of pine trees so all the houses are built of pine. When I was in Scotland, all the houses are built of stone. They couldn't believe I had a wood house, they were like, "That must cost a fortune to build!". 'Cause they don't have wood. building a house of stone here is expensive. There it is cheaper.

You are correct that the wood house is louder than one of stone or concrete. When I'm downstairs I can hear someone walking upstairs (I guess that is why they make guitars out of wood?). And you are correct, when these babies catch on fire, they burn down to the ground.

You have really put this in perspective for me. I never really thought of it before but stone or concrete is a superior building material. It's just that here wood houses are so common and affordable. It is WAY cheaper to build a home with wood than with stone or concrete. Plus I think wood has a more "homey" feel to it than living in a concrete box.

Still, you have made me feel like one of the 3 little pigs with the big bad wolf outside...................

Capt. Pete
post #14 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungathart
Hi Pete,
I like your garage. And it looks like you've got lots of room in the driveway as well. I only have a two-stall and have to rent space elsewhere. Are you planning to put something special in the 3rd stall?
No, I actually want to get the Ferrari out of that 2nd bay and turn the whole attached 3-car garage over to my wife (she can fill it). I currently have a detached 2 car garage which houses my Jeep and another pile of junk (and yet I still have 2 cars that live outside!). I want to tear that down and put up a nice, heated, 30' x 50' shop to store all my vehicles and tools in (hopefully with a lift) and I don't even want my wife to have a key to it. :green: At least that's the plan. It still will not look anything like the photo that started this thread. I was thinking more along the lines of an insulated steel building.

Capt. Pete
post #15 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:

For some insight on how American garages are put together check out this thread of me and my buddy Rick repairing my garage 2 years ago (you'll have to hit "download" on each of the pics): http://www.ferrariforum.com/forum/vi...ghlight=garage

Andrew - Has it already been 2 years?

Capt. Pete
post #16 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 10:24 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 218
I think by "American" houses he mean't ones in the North East, since my old home in New Jersey was much like yours Pete but my new house in New Mexico is incredibly different

Adobe construction, swamp cooler, coyote walls, kiva, courtyards etc...

As for swimming pools and fences, I don't think those were very rare, atleast not in New Jersey
post #17 of 39 Old 08-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Yeah Botto, I did mention how the houses in the northeast are different than in the southwest. It's all that climate thing. And the availability of building materials. It would be just as difficult (and impracticable) to build an abobe house in Maine as it would be to build a pine house in New Mexico. Good point. And you are right about the pools, there are plenty of "cement ponds" up here in New England. Altough I must admit, the inground pool is becoming more scarce. What I am seeing a lot of now is those new "soft-sided" pools.

Capt. Pete
post #18 of 39 Old 08-16-2005, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
Still, you have made me feel like one of the 3 little pigs with the big bad wolf outside...................
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

that was not my intention, Pete!!

and Botto, the reference to me as the typical American house is the kind of house I saw when I went to the USA... So, the houses of Pittsburgh, PA and Florida :wink:

I believe in big cities you can find houses with fences, but in Florida and Pittsburgh it was not common. Here in Brazil at least 90% of the houses all over the country have fences

About the availability of building materials, I disagree a little bit with you, Pete

whe have A LOT of wood in Brazil (remember the Amazon?? thatīs just a part of it!), but still we donīt build houses with wood

why?? because of our culture... we donīt feel that wood houses are "solid", you know?

maybe a house made of wood would be even cheaper than a similar house built with concrete

but no one would buy it!!! :roll:

post #19 of 39 Old 08-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
why?? because of our culture... we donīt feel that wood houses are "solid", you know?

maybe a house made of wood would be even cheaper than a similar house built with concrete

but no one would buy it!!! :roll:
Yeah, I guess culture has a lot to do with it. Up here, you could build a house with concrete and no one would buy it. Why? Because it feels more like a "building" rather than a "home". Tradition and Heritage also have a lot to do with it I think. You wouldn't put up Botto's adobe house in Durham, Maine any more than you would put up my Federal style house in Brazil. It doesn't "fit".

As for the fences, I guess it depends on where you live. In the cities people have fences to kind of "mark their territory" and keep other people out. In the country, you'd put up a fence to keep the livestock and little kids in. I don't have a fence, but I do have a row of lilac bushes to provide privacy and noise reduction. (plus it just looks good.) I'll take a pic and post it.

Capt. Pete
post #20 of 39 Old 08-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Here's some pics of a "typical" New England home. There are at least 3 others just like it in the next town over. This one was built in 1920.

Pic 1 is the lilac hedge, the small green platform is the water well.

Pic 2 is the side view of the house, yes that is a green tarp over the roof of the entryway, I'm waiting until the cooler weather in October to re-shingle that section. (check out the turbine vents on the roof. I installed those. My house's attic has "dual exhaust"!)

Pic 3 is the front view, from the street.
Attached Images

Capt. Pete

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode