Excellent forum - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-14-2005, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 72
Excellent forum

Just signed up for three years after a look at the forum, very pleased. Having been an owner of a few higher end auto's and a member of a few forums I can say that this forum is very well run, the members are very respectful, and I consider it a pleasure to join. Also the fact that I am very soon, purchasing a 550, just having problems deciding on the silver, black, or blue. My girl of many years is pushing for the blue, I prefer silver, but as we already have two silver auto's and one black, she would like a change of color. The 550 is decided on, as it is the next evolution in automobiles for me, speed and comfort. No more hour long rides that leave me exhausted from having to wrestle my car, comfortable seats, and no bouncing my head off of the headliner.

Mikel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Welcome Mikel glad you could join us. You are right in that the members are respectful on this forum. We do joke around, but we are all friends here and there are no personal attacks.

Concerning you color choice, refer to this post and it may give you some insight on why your girl wants blue. http://www.ferrariforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4388

If you want a color change, go for red. 550's look awesome in red! IMO.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 18 Old 08-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Hi Mikel,

Welcome to Ferrari Forum and thank you for your support and kind words. The topic Pete is referring to is quite a kick to read. The color choice for the 550 is a tuff one. There is a charcol black that looks very good on the car. I also like the blue, see this photo for blue:

http://www.ferrariforum.com/photos/v...to.php?id=1756

OR Azzurro California (light blue):

http://www.ferrariforum.com/photos/viewphoto.php?id=442

post #4 of 18 Old 08-15-2005, 03:41 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 411
You have to take black! It's just magical!

Then you have my sweet baby 8)
post #5 of 18 Old 08-15-2005, 04:02 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Mikel,

Welcome to Ferrari Forum.

Regarding your quandry, this is a tough one as the 550 Maranello is one of the Ferraris that looks striking in just about any of the standard colors. For what my opinion is worth, I would go for either Silver or Black. The only color that I have seen on a 550 that looked off was yellow. There are a couple of good pictures of both Silver and Black 550's in the 550/575 Buyers Guide.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-15-2005, 04:16 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Boxer, I liked the yellow 550...

like Pete, I think yellow is a good color for sports cars

But choosing from the colors that Mikel said, I would go with black
post #7 of 18 Old 08-15-2005, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the input, as well as the warm welcome, and the color guide.
I have to agree with Boxer as to the yellow on a 550, it seemed to me to flatten out lines a bit or something, it just seemed off. On a 355 or 430 it looks good, but something about it on a 550 did not work for me, then again there is the small penis thing, but we do not need to go there......really like the lighter blue, but silver and black both look good. The model I drove was silver with black interior and something about it said, class in a very subdued manner. One question I have is should I wait until spring as the new models wil be out and maybe the 550/575 will take a price drop? Although I may not be that patient, instant gratification has its rewards. Like driving it NOW.....
post #8 of 18 Old 08-15-2005, 11:06 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 900
Ask Bart.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeltm
Although I may not be that patient, instant gratification has its rewards. Like driving it NOW.....
Amen to that Brother! I'm an impulse buyer myself. "Ohhhh, Shiney, must have." (you'll have to picture the mile-long stare) :green:

I gotta admit. Andrew's pics of the 550 in blue do look sharp!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #10 of 18 Old 08-19-2005, 03:21 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
a very deep blue would be my color of choice. Or matt black with matt black wheels and exhaust. I know there is a 550 in that color scheme and it looked awesome in pictures. One mean racing machine
post #11 of 18 Old 08-19-2005, 05:44 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeltm
One question I have is should I wait until spring as the new models wil be out and maybe the 550/575 will take a price drop? Although I may not be that patient, instant gratification has its rewards. Like driving it NOW.....
Well, if you can fend off the instant gratification thing, then 550 prices will take another hit next spring with the new model launch. That having been said, if you can find the right car (color combination), in the right condition, at a reasonable price, I would not wait.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-19-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Just got back from looking at another 550, this one is very nice, as they all are. A 1998 with 7000 miles, just had all the belts and seals done (just as an age factor) silver in pristine condition for 130k and they are flexable on the price (especially with cash) my only problem is the interior, it is in Bordeaux. If it was black I would have it in the garage tonight, but I am not sure I like that color combo, at first it is striking and unusual but I am not as of yet sold on it. I am wondering if I got the seats redone in black, maybe that would tone it down a bit? Or does one get use to it and like the contrast in time? Not sure yet. Would love to find the light blue and black combo....
Mikel
post #13 of 18 Old 08-20-2005, 08:25 AM

Wait a little more and look at some other cars. It would be a shame if you buy the car and wouldn't like it 3 months later only because of the colour. Look at it a little longer, look at lots of pics and decide if you like it or not. Or wait for the perfect colorcombo to show up.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-21-2005, 12:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
If you like the 550, you cannot be all bad. Mine is silver.

Welcome to the non-teenage boy forum.

8)

12 cylinders or walk
post #15 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 11:44 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
I just found this picture

IŽd never seen a 575M or 550 Maranello in this color

http://img382.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ri575mm1xd.jpg

looks good to me, but I wouldnŽt buy one with the red interior

what do you think?

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #16 of 18 Old 08-22-2005, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

That exterior color is Titanium, and it looks real great as it has more metal flake than silver, but I just can't deal with the red interior. Looked at a 2000 black and tan 550 but it had been hitin front once (repaired nicely), needed brakes and wanted more than it was worth (145k) and should have had the belts and seals done (age, rather than mileage (8000)) so I passed on that one. Still looking.

Mikel
post #17 of 18 Old 08-23-2005, 12:52 AM

I personally think that color is grigio ingrid. A silver with a hint of brown/gold. Titanium is much darker.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-23-2005, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

That one may be Ingrid, at first I thought it was but the side looks much glossier and without the brown to it. I must say I have a hard time telling in pictures as the lighting/film changes things so much. I thought I found a light blue/natural one (picture looked right, dealer said it was) and on personal inspection it was the darker blue with tan interior, not bad but not what I expected. Will patiently (sort of) continue the search.

Mikel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode