Advice in firearm choices - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 Old 12-22-2014, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Advice in firearm choices

I live w/ my family (wife and two sons - 10 and 13) on a mountain just east of Santa Fe, NM. Our house is located in National Forest territory. We have black bear, bobcat, scads of coyotes, elk and lots of mule deer. We have had close encounters w/ black bear; they are gorging in August and September here; big stupid eating machines.

We and our neighbors have had issues w/ "habituated" bears. US Fish & Wildlife will occassionally come up and dart a bear and haul them up to high country, but this is pretty rare. USF&W advised me to have a shotgun w/ birdshot to scare them away. A quote from USF&W; "Don't use buckshot because if you kill it, we're not coming up to get it."

So my question to this august group is what to get? Would you get a shotgun, and, if so, which one? We also go hiking in the high country, essentially walking out of our front door and walking further up the mountain, deeper into the Santa Fe National Forest. I don't think I want to lug a shotgun on those trips; is there a smaller, more portable weapon you would use for trips like this?

I look forward to your input.

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 12-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 379
Ksg makes a nice short bullpup shotgun that hold like 10 rounds

Lookup ksg shotguns. It looks kinda military
post #3 of 57 Old 12-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
Lockup your chainsaw. Bears be dangerous Bryan.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419294680.230448.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  86.8 KB

You might ask Santa
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419294705.961425.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  17.5 KB

post #4 of 57 Old 12-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Mossberg 590 it's both left and right handed safety is simple.

Suggest a trip to the store and buy what feels comfortable - shotgun is the right way to go for a lot of reasons.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #5 of 57 Old 12-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 460
Bryan, you can't go wrong with a Remington 870. I would suggest a standard 28" barrel. The shorter the barrel, the less accurate at greater distances. And I would imagine you don't wanna get "close" to a bear. Pump action, holds 4-6 shells. Be perfect for what you are looking for. Will not break the bank either, very reasonable priced and well made. You can get 100's of accessories for it, light kits, stocks, pistol grips, etc. Whatever you feel comfortable with.
post #6 of 57 Old 12-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
50cal handgun. keep it on you. Good luck "scaring" a charging bear. i would rather kill it. Makes a nice rug too. coyotes i would get a rifle. .223 would do, but maybe .308.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #7 of 57 Old 12-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Find out what the Laws in your area are. A handgun in a .45 caliber is loud enough and has good stopping power and can be handled easy but get a high cap gun (meaning more that 7 rounds in the gun). As far as a .50 cal, if you are asking about guns, you can't handle a .50 cal... That's like giving a 16 year old 2 cans of Red Bulls, a line of coke and the keys to a 430 Scuderia.... BAD NEWS........

A shotgun is the better weapon, fuck what the US F&W say, use buckshot and shoot the ground....if you scare him wrong and just pinch his ass with bird shot and it makes him mad and it decides to charge you and you only have bird shot.....you might as well throw him the gun....get buckshot, shoot the ground to scare him and if he charges.....drop him.

Stay away form Remington 870, they are garbage guns and can't handle big loads. Get a Benelli Nova Tactical, they are extremely reliable, light, inexpensive, can handle huge loads up to 3 inches, super easy to take apart to clean (less than 10 seconds). The cool part about it as well is if you want to load a different round, its super simple, you hold a button under the slide, rack the slide back and it locks the reloading chamber so you can drop the shell you want in it, rack it forward to load and you are done....

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #8 of 57 Old 12-22-2014, 08:41 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
If you want to go shotgun, Mossberg 500 or 870....Get some good home defense 00 buckshot....screw what the gamie said. Nothing is going to stop me from using buckshot when I'm being charged.

Although an AR-15 chambered in 6.8 or even 5.56 would be a good choice. My Father is the Sales director for Olympic Arms. They've been manufactorying AR's for a long time.

They were the first company to expand ar calibers to 7.62x39, 6.8, 45 ACP, 10mm etc.....If your interested in an AR, pm me and I can get you in contact with him, and he can advise what would be ideal....
post #9 of 57 Old 12-22-2014, 08:43 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
Another good option is a Sig 556. Probably my favorite rifle. When I slap on my mini opsrey night vision it becomes a coyote slayer.....
post #10 of 57 Old 12-23-2014, 04:25 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum6464 View Post
Find out what the Laws in your area are. A handgun in a .45 caliber is loud enough and has good stopping power and can be handled easy but get a high cap gun (meaning more that 7 rounds in the gun). As far as a .50 cal, if you are asking about guns, you can't handle a .50 cal... That's like giving a 16 year old 2 cans of Red Bulls, a line of coke and the keys to a 430 Scuderia.... BAD NEWS........

A shotgun is the better weapon, fuck what the US F&W say, use buckshot and shoot the ground....if you scare him wrong and just pinch his ass with bird shot and it makes him mad and it decides to charge you and you only have bird shot.....you might as well throw him the gun....get buckshot, shoot the ground to scare him and if he charges.....drop him.

Stay away form Remington 870, they are garbage guns and can't handle big loads. Get a Benelli Nova Tactical, they are extremely reliable, light, inexpensive, can handle huge loads up to 3 inches, super easy to take apart to clean (less than 10 seconds). The cool part about it as well is if you want to load a different round, its super simple, you hold a button under the slide, rack the slide back and it locks the reloading chamber so you can drop the shell you want in it, rack it forward to load and you are done....

~

Mario
Welcome back and congrats on the Scud tell your son happy bday

Remington was a good product but no longer and agree a 50 cal handgun pretty sure Ed was kidding.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #11 of 57 Old 12-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I was not kidding. (That's like giving a 16 year old 2 cans of Red Bulls, a line of coke and the keys to a 430 Scuderia.... BAD NEWS........). You been talking to my wife? anyway, like biden's advice, I don't agree with it. The only time you will defend yourself from a bear, your shotgun will be inside. Run inside to get it. Wait, just stay inside! If you can't get inside, take the .50 cal out of your holster and blast a few big holes in him. You are in the West now. Enjoy it! Works for poodles too.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Attached Images

post #12 of 57 Old 12-23-2014, 11:57 AM
Owner

Couple pics of my gun room - - - I have a few guns, you can borrow one!
Attached Images

post #13 of 57 Old 12-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 285ferrari View Post
OMFG

I thought my collection was sufficient and was planning on adding one maybe two,

Thanks - need to go find where I can build a safe room.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #14 of 57 Old 12-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Quote:

Lord Rob! you could trade your gun room in on a race-ready 250GTO, even up! wanna do the 2015 Mille Miglia retro together?

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #15 of 57 Old 12-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
If you are only looking to get one general purpose weapon then shotgun hands down. Easy to aim, not much experience needed. You could always put in one round of birdshot or rock salt in but have buckshot with 3/4 inch brass in the rest of the tube or magazine in case whatever you shoot at is still coming at you.

Plus, if for some reason your wife or kids need to pick it up they are likely to be able to shoot it effectivly. If you get a really lightweight one it's going to kick harder.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #16 of 57 Old 12-23-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
DUDE! A few observations in addition to an overall "holy shit". Second pic; to honor my western ancestry, perhaps I should just walk around w/ a couple of pearl-handled six-shooters on my gunbelt. Third pic; diggin' the pink pistols. Fourth pic; is that a Stick No More forestock cozy?? Last pic; ok, sooo are those stingers on the back wall?? That'll get a bear's attention.
post #17 of 57 Old 12-23-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I want to thank everyone for their input; I will do some homework and let you know what we decide.
post #18 of 57 Old 12-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
DUDE! A few observations in addition to an overall "holy shit". Second pic; to honor my western ancestry, perhaps I should just walk around w/ a couple of pearl-handled six-shooters on my gunbelt. Third pic; diggin' the pink pistols. Fourth pic; is that a Stick No More forestock cozy?? Last pic; ok, sooo are those stingers on the back wall?? That'll get a bear's attention.
There is a company that does custom rails for AR's. So I had a Stickynomore one built for my .50 Beowolf AR build. Then I Duracoated it yellow, something different.
post #19 of 57 Old 12-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Don't listen to Ed, you want to defend yourself against a bear with zero handgun experience, don't use a .50 CAL handgun. It kicks so hard you wont hit shit.... it will kick back in your face and split your head open or you will drop it and the bear will kill you.

Hell, most people can't hit a car at 30 feet with a 9mm, you think you can hit a bear running after you with a .50CAL? HAHAHAHA......unless you're a skilled hunter or an experienced gun owner with lots of range time, don't be stupid to try and impress, unless you want to die. If so, tell you wife to come online and tell us what cemetery you will be buried at when you get killed so we can send flowers...

Get a 12 gauge, get something that a 10 year old can use and open blindfolded in less that 15 seconds (Benelli Nova) and can use 3 1/2 inch slugs.... Mossberg or Remington can't and, the inside of the Remington burrs like a Kia in a car accident until you can't rack the slide back, get a shotgun you can trust your life and your families life on.

There are a few other options, but go for ease of use and reliability of a gun. An AR is also a good choice but you need to know how to use it. A 12 gauge, anyone can use, rack aim, pull the trigger.

To be 100% sure, get some range time. You might hate a certain gun and really like another. Once you choose the right one, practice, practice, practice until you can pull it out, aim and fire that thing and get a kill if the bear is after you.....

I almost forgot, carry a backup.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #20 of 57 Old 12-23-2014, 03:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Holy shit Robbie, that is an arsenal. We don't even see that in movies down here. Sure glad we are on the same side!

David.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode