Pet Peeve's - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 Old 05-10-2005, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
Pet Peeve's

Ferrari Forum is a remarkable forum! It outshines the other forums I've joined. There aren't any troubles with people (that I know of.) However, the only thing that I see wrong here is that a number of users enjoy using the “quote” button as a replacement for the “reply to topic” button. I'm not aiming to appear mean; it’s simply one pet peeve of mine. I feel people should start using the “reply” button more often. A great number of times it is useful, but I've witnessed plenty of posts where people post pictures of Ferrari’s. Then, other people who choose to reply to that person continuously seem to hit “quote”. Now there are several pictures of the identical car. Not only is that, but now the topic extremely lengthy!

Thanks,

mzracer360

JINX - Gamers, Geeks and Hackers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 05-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Re: Pet Peeve's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZRacer360
I feel people should start using the “reply” button more often. A great number of times it is useful, but I've witnessed plenty of posts where people post pictures of Ferrari’s. Then, other people who choose to reply to that person continuously seem to hit “quote”. Now there are several pictures of the identical car. Not only is that, but now the topic extremely lengthy!
Sorry, you asked for it :green:

In light of what you said, I believe people use the quote to highlight they are responding more to that comment than the first. But I do agree, quoting with photos gets a little annoying. At least delete that part as I deleted part of your quoted text.

I'm glad you like it here so much. I try to be humble and other sites are great, but I'm confident this is the highest quality site out there on all levels and plan to keep it that way.
post #3 of 60 Old 05-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509

Quote:
Ferrari Forum is a remarkable forum! It outshines the other forums I've joined. There aren't any troubles with people (that I know of.) However, the only thing that I see wrong here is that a number of users enjoy using the “quote” button as a replacement for the “reply to topic” button. I'm not aiming to appear mean; it’s simply one pet peeve of mine. I feel people should start using the “reply” button more often. A great number of times it is useful, but I've witnessed plenty of posts where people post pictures of Ferrari’s. Then, other people who choose to reply to that person continuously seem to hit “quote”. Now there are several pictures of the identical car. Not only is that, but now the topic extremely lengthy!

Thanks,

mzracer360
I usually use the reply button unless I want to repond to a particular part of a person's post in which case I'll quote and delete all but the relevant passage. Or if the direction of the thread has changed I'll quote to get back on track.

In this case I used quote just to piss you off! :green: :green: :green:

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

post #4 of 60 Old 05-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
Quote:
Ferrari Forum is a remarkable forum! It outshines the other forums I've joined. I feel people should start using the “reply” button more often. A great number of times it is useful, but I've witnessed plenty of posts where people post pictures of Ferrari’s. Then, other people who choose to reply to that person continuously seem to hit “quote”.

Thanks,

mzracer360
I usually use the reply button unless I want to repond to a particular part of a person's post in which case I'll quote and delete all but the relevant passage.
IBID.

8) 8) 8) 8)
post #5 of 60 Old 05-11-2005, 12:02 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer
IBID.

8) 8) 8) 8)
OK that is a new acronymn/internet talk for me. I scratched my head too long and couldn't come up with it.
post #6 of 60 Old 05-11-2005, 01:19 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

The term is slightly pre-Internet. More Roman Empire.... actually Latin.
post #7 of 60 Old 05-11-2005, 05:33 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
Quote:
IBID.

8) 8) 8) 8)
OK that is a new acronymn/internet talk for me. I scratched my head too long and couldn't come up with it.
From the Latin ibidem meaning "in the same place". You'll usually see it in the footnote of a paper or book when a reference work is being quoted more than once.

MZ, this is another time I use the quote button; when I am responding to someone other than the original author. Usually I would have deleted Boxer's quote within the quote.

Capt. Pete
post #8 of 60 Old 05-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
From the Latin ibidem meaning "in the same place". You'll usually see it in the footnote of a paper or book when a reference work is being quoted more than once.
Well it is good to know I wasted my money on a Liberal Arts education. This certainly slipped through the cracks.
post #9 of 60 Old 05-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
Quote:
Well it is good to know I wasted my money on a Liberal Arts education. This certainly slipped through the cracks.
Liberal Arts! Is it true that at graduation instead of a cap and gown you wear a ball cap and an apron? :green:

My degree is in Nautical Science and even I knew what ibid meant. I've got a buddy who's getting his PhD in Linguistic Anthropology and he likes to throw a little Latin around to be cool. I always call him on it when I think he has no idea what he's actually saying. I'll be like, "Mike, I don't think that word means what you think it means." Then I'll pull out the dictionary and hand it to him. He trys to be so sophisticated using all these $15 words and he hates it when some guy with grease under his fingernails completely shuts him down.

Capt. Pete
post #10 of 60 Old 05-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Liberal Arts! Is it true that at graduation instead of a cap and gown you wear a ball cap and an apron? :green:
Not at all. Toga with a beer bottle 8) 8)
post #11 of 60 Old 05-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Quote:
Not at all. Toga with a beer bottle 8) 8)
Oh yeah, didn't think about that. So when your beers empty and you tear off your toga, that's when you go out into the workforce and expect people to throw money at you? :green: :green:

Capt. Pete
post #12 of 60 Old 05-11-2005, 02:24 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 160
1) People who overtake in the "pass only lane"

2) People who drive in the lane that ends very soon and then cut in front of you when it ends

3) People who drive down the hard shoulder during a traffic jam. I don't really get mad when driving because i figgure a lot more people aren't as smart when they are driving as me (sounds cocky, but its true) but the people who go down the emergency lane PISS me off so much. What makes them any better than everyone else who is waiting. Assholes. Next time i see it happening i'm just going to drive between my lane and the emergency lane.

4) People who don't know proper grammar online. IE "their" instead of "there" or "your" instead of "you're"

5) Dumbass kids at school who think they're (notice its not "their" ) "all that" because they smoke, drive quick etc :roll:

6) People who whine about things their fault. IE (sounds horrible but its a good example) There was a lady that strapped her child in a baby seat into the front of the car the wrong way. The kid was facing backwards instead of forwards. Ignored the 4+ yellow and orange warning labels about kids being decapitated and figgured they were just there to look good :roll: Guess what happened? Yep, she crashed, kid was beheaded and she sued the seat company. They dropped the case but she still believes it wasn't her fault. They never learn. Morons

Well, that was a good vent. I'm sure i have more but thats it for now :green:

Chris
post #13 of 60 Old 05-11-2005, 03:18 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
I just couldn't resist:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5mcl
4) People who don't know proper grammar online. IE "their" instead of "there" or "your" instead of "you're"
But guess what I found?
Quote:
I don't really get mad when driving because i figgure a lot more people aren't as smart when they are driving as me (sounds cocky, but its true) Next time i see it happening i'm just going to drive between my lane and the emergency lane.

...and figgured they were just there to look good

Do the math
post #14 of 60 Old 05-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz
I just couldn't resist:

Quote:
But guess what I found?
Quote:
I don't really get mad when driving because i figgure a lot more people aren't as smart when they are driving as me (sounds cocky, but its true) Next time i see it happening i'm just going to drive between my lane and the emergency lane.

...and figgured they were just there to look good

Do the math
Good catch. That is one of my pet peeves also, misspelling. I asked Andrew about a spell-check feature but he said it was not practicable. Usually if I'm not sure I'll paste the phrase to Word and check it.

Capt. Pete
post #15 of 60 Old 05-11-2005, 06:23 PM

I must say that bad spelling used to annoy the hell out of me but I think that because so many people here on FF spell so horribly bad that I've grown used to it. I'm not saying that my English is one hundred percent perfect but it's good enough for me to get cocky about it :P

But what the hell is my pet peeve? I have no idea. Maybe it's Dirk...

Yeah... I'm making Dirk my Pet Peeve :P
post #16 of 60 Old 05-11-2005, 06:55 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 776
Quote:
1) People who overtake in the "pass only lane"

I will call you on these two points.

#1 - Isn't the pass only lane for overtaking slower drivers? Hence the "Pass Only" name.

#4 - A lot of people here, and anywhere online really, neither speak nor write in English as a norm. English is not an easy language to grasp. Mistakes will happen. Even my Grandmother, who was an English professor at a private college for 30+ years made mistakes.

As for my pet peeves...Dipsh*ts who talk on the cell phone while driving. For God's sake people...hold the conversation at home/work wherever; not while driving. When you are driving, pay attention to your damn driving. I can't tell you how many times I have nearly been hit by some stupid soccer mom driving her big arse SUV down the road and she decides to switch lanes not seing me because she is holding a cell phone up to her ear; or by Billy Bob driving his pick-up truck and holding a drink in one hand and a phone in the other not being able to steer into the turn quick enough with his f'n knee. And...it was so much worse for me when I was driving a tractor trailer...holy crap people...LOOK FOR THESE TRUCKS COMING!! They can't stop on a dime folks. People would roll up to the stop and roll right out because they were to into their conversation to notice the 75,000+ pound projectile rolling straight at them. Jeez...I could go on forever on this topic...

Please folks...It's a car...not a phone booth. Hang up and drive.

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...
post #17 of 60 Old 05-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I must say that bad spelling used to annoy the hell out of me but I think that because so many people here on FF spell so horribly bad that I've grown used to it. I'm not saying that my English is one hundred percent perfect but it's good enough for me to get cocky about it :P

But what the hell is my pet peeve? I have no idea. Maybe it's Dirk...

Yeah... I'm making Dirk my Pet Peeve :P
Your signature reminds me of another pet peeve of mine. Bicyclists who think they own the road. They friggin' ride half out into traffic so you have to slow down and swerve to avoid running them over. They ride 2 wide instead of one behind the other. They give you the finger and say they have just as much right to the road as I do. Wrong! When I register my car I pay a usage tax. What is that tax for? It's to pay for the roads. So all you bicyclists are riding on the road I paid for. I'm willing to give you 1 meter on the extreme right hand side. You take more than that, well, then you're fair game. Watch your elbow on my side view mirror that's doing 80.

Capt. Pete
post #18 of 60 Old 05-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm not saying that my English is one hundred percent perfect but it's good enough for me to get cocky about it
My English IS 100% perfect. If you disagree, please write me and I'll tell you why you are wrong. :green: :green:

(just kidding of course, I give a lot of latitude to my friends who have English as a 2nd language. Heck, my heritage is French and I can't speak a lick of it.)

Capt. Pete
post #19 of 60 Old 05-12-2005, 01:26 PM

I'm so happy that Pete doesn't live in the Netherlands... his attitude towards cyclists would certainly cost the lives of hundreds of people. But then... the Netherlands is a lot better for cyclists than the USA
post #20 of 60 Old 05-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm so happy that Pete doesn't live in the Netherlands... his attitude towards cyclists would certainly cost the lives of hundreds of people. But then... the Netherlands is a lot better for cyclists than the USA
True, the Netherlands is better for bicycling. In fact, it is probably more convenient to NOT have a car in Amsterdam or Rotterdam. But don't forget the vastness of the US. Maine is one state out of 50 (and it's one of the smaller ones) and Maine is bigger than the Netherlands. Maine is rural and people have to rely on automobiles for transportation. Bicycles are merely for exercise, like jogging but easier on the knees. You ain't going back and forth to work on a bicycle and there is no public transportation out in the woods.

The road I live on is a fairly major road, route 125, it is a rural road and not made for bicycles. There is no bicycle lane, it's designed for cars. The speed limit is 45 mph. You'll have a couple of bicyclists riding side by each at 10 mph enjoying the scenery and taking up half the road while I come around the corner at 50 mph with my 3/4 ton pick-up truck hauling a trailer. I'll have to swerve to avoid them and they give ME the finger!

We do have some roads that have bicycle lanes and are designed for shared traffic; and if they respect my lane I respect theirs, but when they are on a road that is not designed for bicycle traffic, they need to watch out for themselves because I ain't watching out for them. Stay to the far right and ride one behind the other and we'll have no problems. It's when they ride side by each and expect me to be able to run a truck and trailer around them against oncoming traffic with a smile and a wave that we have a problem. That's my pet peeve.

Capt. Pete

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode