LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 60 Old 05-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil
One of my pet peeves - and this thread is a perfect example - is Americans claiming they can speak English properly!!

I am English - so I'll be the judge of what's right and what's wrong round here!!

:green: :lol: :green:
The United States and Great Britain, two countries seperated by a common language....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 Old 05-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
You are comparing apples to oranges. The whole nation of Japan is smaller than California.
My brother always says something along those lines and my retort is that Japan started its rail system well before cars so a better infrastructure was already in place before cars were invented. I beleive Shinjuku station was built around 1860 and connected to Tokyo Station. Total time between the two is about 15 minutes today with 5 stops between so you can see it wasn't like the U.S. trains from one major city to the next but was a commutter system for Tokyo city.

New York and Chicago have both created a great train system and there is no reason smaller cities in the U.S. cannot do the same.

Just because we have lots of land also doesn't mean spreading out is the best way to develop. On the contrary, I hate it when I see a Wal-Mart that takes up 200 acres. It is unbelieveably stupid (because land is cheap here) and narrow minded. Build up! Why not make a 3 floor store is 1/3 the space? I don't know the cost difference but I know when land is expensive you go up. Perhaps it is cheaper to build on giant floor than 3 smaller floors.

I use to live in Louisville, KY on a 1 acre lot so I've experienced a few different ways of living and I guess I'll leave it at personal preference. I like walking to get my food, not driving 3 miles, fighting traffic lights and then parking. I like taking a train to work on the weekdays regardless of the size of the city. I like driving a car on the weekend to Yosimite to see the forest and mountians.

OK this is probably a little to far out there for my taste but the ideas are similar in that its goal is to evaluate urban sprawl and change it:

http://www.arcosanti.org/
post #43 of 60 Old 05-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by above website
Today’s typical city devotes more than sixty percent of its land to roads and automobile services.
If that fact is true then that is depressing.

post #44 of 60 Old 05-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
One of my pet peeves - and this thread is a perfect example - is Americans claiming they can speak English properly!!

I am English - so I'll be the judge of what's right and what's wrong round here!!

Actually I believe the language has changed less in the USA than it has in the UK over the last few hundred years. I think the language in the US is more true to the original dialect than the crap they speak in Britain now.

I once worked on a Norwegian shuttle tanker. There was 20 Norwegians and me. We had to bring a load of crude down to Kingston upon Hull, the Norwegians were like, "Man, we are glad to have you aboard." I was like, "Why?". They said, "So you can translate, we don't know what they are saying.". Now mind you, I don't speak Norwegian, I speak to my crew in English. They wanted me to translate what the English were speaking into English. I was like, "Well, I tell you what. I don't understand them either. You guys speak better English than the Brits."

So Bazil, although you can make a beautiful baby, you can't speak English better than me.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #45 of 60 Old 05-14-2005, 12:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 160
Quote:
Me too :green:

Chris
post #46 of 60 Old 05-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz
The north-eastern part of the USA was practically founded by the dutch. So I'm thinking that I want to hear Pete saying "I want to thank the dutch people for inventing our country" :P
Are you talking about those religious freaks who had to flee Europe to avoid being executed? Yeah, thanks for them.

Actually, I did a search for "Dutch in America" and came up with this:
http://international.loc.gov/intldl/...kb-1/kb-1.html

Capt. Pete
post #47 of 60 Old 05-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Actually I believe the language has changed less in the USA than it has in the UK over the last few hundred years. I think the language in the US is more true to the original dialect than the crap they speak in Britain now.

So Bazil, although you can make a beautiful baby, you can't speak English better than me.
Careful, don't pick on me old china.

I think you just went somewhere you shouldn't have. It is an interesting debate but I think Bazil is right, they did invent the language after all. Remember we were a former colony of theirs.

They say bloke, we say dude. They say bird we say chick (when speaking of good looking females). No problem. All the Brits I've met were very funny and I could take their jokes about my English. Overall they are good chaps and I enjoy having a few britneys with them.
post #48 of 60 Old 05-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
Quote:

Careful, don't pick on me old china.

I think you just went somewhere you shouldn't have. It is an interesting debate but I think Bazil is right, they did invent the language after all. Remember we were a former colony of theirs.

They say bloke, we say dude. They say bird we say chick (when speaking of good looking females). No problem. All the Brits I've met were very funny and I could take their jokes about my English. Overall they are good chaps and I enjoy having a few britneys with them.
Don't get me wrong, I love the UK and almost all the people I've met from there. I understand about the historical link between the US and the UK. But the language in the UK has changed a lot. If you ever met someone who grew up in view of the river Tyne, you would not be able to understand a single word he says. I bet even Bazil will agree with me on that one.

Capt. Pete
post #49 of 60 Old 05-14-2005, 01:48 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 770
Pete - you know I'm not going to argue with you on that one!!

During the war, my grandmother had a couple of guys from Newcastle staying with her - I think they were working at one of the RAF bases near where she lived. She swore blind that during the time they were there (which was quite a few months) she never understood a single word they said!! :green:

But to be fair - I went to a very old fashioned public school (which for some reason actually means private school!!) so I think I speak English a little better than your average Geordie!! Actually "better" isn't fair - more correctly.

As for the language having changed over the last few years - I think that's true in America too. I'd honestly attribute a lot of the bastardisation of English in England (and I know you'll hate this!! :wink: ) to the appalling standard of English spoken on most American TV shows - of which we see a lot in England.

1991 Ferrari 348ts
2004 Honda Accord 2.2CDTi
2004 Kawasaki ZX-12R
2005 Volvo S80 D5
post #50 of 60 Old 05-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
Basosz,
you ROMULAN infiltrator !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)
post #51 of 60 Old 05-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Pete - you know I'm not going to argue with you on that one!!

During the war, my grandmother had a couple of guys from Newcastle staying with her - I think they were working at one of the RAF bases near where she lived. She swore blind that during the time they were there (which was quite a few months) she never understood a single word they said!! :green:

But to be fair - I went to a very old fashioned public school (which for some reason actually means private school!!) so I think I speak English a little better than your average Geordie!! Actually "better" isn't fair - more correctly.

As for the language having changed over the last few years - I think that's true in America too. I'd honestly attribute a lot of the bastardisation of English in England (and I know you'll hate this!! :wink: ) to the appalling standard of English spoken on most American TV shows - of which we see a lot in England.
Yeah, the American networks are appalling when they support what is popular rather than what is correct (but the BBC is no better). I always cringe when someone wants to "axe" me a question. "Can I axe you a question?" "You just did. Would you like to axe me another one?" Can you actually believe that in California they wanted to recognize this getto talk as an official language and teach it in the schools? They call it Ebonics and said that was why the kids weren't doing well in school. They weren't speaking the same language. It was defeated so thank God Ebonics is not recognized as a seperate language. The official language of California is still Spanish. (Mexican Spanish, not the Spanish from Spain.)

As for the fine folks from Newcastle, I used to work in the North Sea and I had a Geordie crane operator. He called down to the control room one day and was like, "blah, blah, blah." I was like, "What?" He said, "blah blah, blah." I was like, "I'm not getting this, say it again." "BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!" Now he's pissed. I was like, "I'm sorry, you are going to have to come down here and write it on paper. I have no idea what you are trying to say." So he comes down to the control room and starts in about how I'm an idiot because I can't understand English. I just looked at him and said, "Hey, you can understand what I am saying, I can't understand what you are saying. I don't think I'm the problem here."

So Bazil, I'm glad you got a good education and you are able to speak English almost as well as I can. :green:

Capt. Pete
post #52 of 60 Old 05-15-2005, 01:52 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 770
Quote:
I always cringe when someone wants to "axe" me a question.
I know exactly what you mean!!!

"OK, I'll stand back and you axe away!!"

I'd heard about the Ebonics thing... What is the world coming to?

Actually, the one that's gradually creeping in to the unofficial English language and is really driving me mad at the moment is "pacific/pacifically" in lieu of specific/specifically. There's a pacific ( ) guy at work who says it all the time and I just want to punch him, really hard!!

1991 Ferrari 348ts
2004 Honda Accord 2.2CDTi
2004 Kawasaki ZX-12R
2005 Volvo S80 D5
post #53 of 60 Old 05-15-2005, 07:26 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
I remember one of the guys from Oasis being interviewed for MTV USA and they subtitled it because it was damn near impossible to understand what the bloke was saying.

My opinion (which ofcourse matters very very much) is that there is a lot of differences between, say, London english, and Liverpool english. Accent or whatever you want to call it. The same is true of English english and american english. And in america there is southern english (redneck or something) and the more politically garbled washington DC english.

I think that with a bit of patience and some extra time... we can all understand eachother. At least... as long as we recognize these differences and don't get mad at the one you're taking to because he doesn't understand you. And if you really don't understand the man (or woman) then you have to understand why.

If I start a conversation with Bob in my home-accent then Bob will not understand me. I can guarantee you that. But if he asks me to slow down and explain what the words mean... then we're making progress.

Same with Pete and the Geordie on the Rig... you just have to explain that you're from another part of the planet
post #54 of 60 Old 05-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Quote:
I always cringe when someone wants to "axe" me a question.
I know exactly what you mean!!!

"OK, I'll stand back and you axe away!!"

Actually, the one that's gradually creeping in to the unofficial English language and is really driving me mad at the moment is "pacific/pacifically" in lieu of specific/specifically. There's a pacific ( ) guy at work who says it all the time and I just want to punch him, really hard!!
I nose what'chu means.

I've actually seen CV's that used slang and had misspellings on them. You've got a college graduate who is applying for a $60k a year job and they don't even bother to hit the spell check button on their resume? I always put those in the circular file. They probably wouldn't be happy working for me anyway.

I've got a guy working for me who is from Togo. English is his 3rd language. He speaks Togolese and French. He learned English when he came to the US to go to California Maritime Academy (Bart's son probably knows him). He actually came to the US to attend college without being able to speak the language. Now there's a steep learning curve. He told me how he would have to tape record the lectures and then play them back word by word with a french-english dictionary and sometimes he would even be in tears doing his lessons. He didn't graduate with honors but the fact that he graduated at all impresses the hell out of me. Now he's a guy who speaks proper English. He speaks it better than most Americans or Brits. He had to.

Capt. Pete
post #55 of 60 Old 05-15-2005, 08:16 AM

I'm kind of glad that I'm not going to the USA any time soon :P I would probably make a total arse of myself by asking why someone suddenly mentions an ocean in the middle of a sentence
post #56 of 60 Old 05-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Far left softies that want to say everything is OK so long as it doesn't hurt another, which in and of itself is self defeating because everything we do effects someone. I find it ironic because they claim to have an astute viewpoint, yet they cannot grasp that simple philosophical concept.
post #57 of 60 Old 05-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm kind of glad that I'm not going to the USA any time soon :P I would probably make a total arse of myself by asking why someone suddenly mentions an ocean in the middle of a sentence
Yeah, you don't need to come all the way over here to make a total arse of yourself. You do just fine from where you are.

:green: :green: :green: (score one for Pete. LOL) And in the US, the word arse doesn't exist. It is Ass! As in, "I think Basosz is a total ass!"

(for those of you that are shocked at what I just wrote, don't worry, Basosz and I have a little friendly rivalry going on. He was up on me, but I think I just tied the score.)

Capt. Pete
post #58 of 60 Old 05-16-2005, 11:24 AM

But then again... "Arse" is a far better looking word. Sounds better too.

And "Arse" is true english ofcourse.

But I wouldn't expect a true american like Pete to understand that :P
post #59 of 60 Old 05-16-2005, 03:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 776
Quote:
But then again... "Arse" is a far better looking word. Sounds better too.

And "Arse" is true english ofcourse.

But I wouldn't expect a true american like Pete to understand that :P
Hey now...I'll type "arse" into a message when I want to call someone an ass. But...Arsehole just does not have the same ring to it...

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...
post #60 of 60 Old 05-16-2005, 09:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 900
Quote:

You're bloody right mate!

:lol:

HAHA couldn't resist. :wink:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode