McLarry Owners, Please Sum Up Your Views! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 09-19-2014, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
McLarry Owners, Please Sum Up Your Views!

I am very curious to hear a sum up of your ownership experiences. It's interesting as you are also Ferrari owners.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 01:16 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Well, dealership here in germany is still not very good and because of breaking down three times the last 6000km/8 month, I give it to my Ferrari - Dealer and have ordered my 458 SP, coming 12/2014.
post #3 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 02:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Have you driven one yet, Capo? I drove the 650S and the 12C and found them handling very well, and very fast once the revs go above 5500. Otherwise I found them sounding like vacuum cleaners, not pretty enough, having uncomfortable seats.

Great cars but not for me.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC

post #4 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Have you driven one yet, Capo? I drove the 650S and the 12C and found them handling very well, and very fast once the revs go above 5500. Otherwise I found them sounding like vacuum cleaners, not pretty enough, having uncomfortable seats.

Great cars but not for me.

Onno
Nope, haven't driven one. I'm curious about the advanced suspension. It's a pitty they chose a 90 degree crank. Flat crank sounds more exotic. Even Porsche has turned to flat crank in their new 918.

Salve,
Capo

post #5 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacko View Post
Well, dealership here in germany is still not very good and because of breaking down three times the last 6000km/8 month, I give it to my Ferrari - Dealer and have ordered my 458 SP, coming 12/2014.
Sorry to hear about your breakdowns. With the Speciale I believe you will get one of the best sports cars currently available. That would be the only new Ferrari I would consider.

Salve,
Capo

post #6 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Onno, did you notice any turbo lag?

Salve,
Capo

post #7 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 05:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
I owned an MP4.

Vertigo fast - no joke.

Air brake Turbo Fit n Finish Brake steer handling CF tub - a solid 9.8 Zero turbo lag!

The wife's favorite car - it was comfortable and somewhat quiet.

From the outside the MP4 with sport exhaust - good as Ferrari different but very mean growl difference is the car is well built so good you can't hear it very well in a coupe.

Inside - it's tight at 6'2 210 I should have gone with non electric seats lowering me 1-2 inches. The new 650S sport seats like my 16M would have been perfect.

Never had any issues other than people taking pictures and staring when the doors went up.

When the 650 was introduced and the MP4 dropped it cost me a pretty penny but when I called the dealer to upgrade they didn't nor did any other dealer want my MP4.

Ended up wholesaling it and buying a CGT that has increased 75k so I did fine and could not be happier with the outcome.

Do not let anyone kid you especially for the money - MP4 is the fastest best handling wonderfully built car as Mclaren continually upgrades the car for free that is anything short of spectacular and I will buy a 650S down the road.
Attached Images

post #8 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 05:53 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Have had 3 now (one in the UK, one in Germany, and one in the US). 2 Spiders and 1 Coupe. All have been great. Handling is excellent and they will out run just bout everything.
post #9 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Have had 3 now (one in the UK, one in Germany, and one in the US). 2 Spiders and 1 Coupe. All have been great. Handling is excellent and they will out run just bout everything.
Wow!

I suppose it's a great car for sporty driving (obviously), but also comfortable for long journeys.

In the sportiest setting, does it equal a Speciale in steering feel, responsiveness and agility?

Salve,
Capo

post #10 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I owned an MP4.

Vertigo fast - no joke.

Air brake Turbo Fit n Finish Brake steer handling CF tub - a solid 9.8 Zero turbo lag!

The wife's favorite car - it was comfortable and somewhat quiet.

From the outside the MP4 with sport exhaust - good as Ferrari different but very mean growl difference is the car is well built so good you can't hear it very well in a coupe.

Inside - it's tight at 6'2 210 I should have gone with non electric seats lowering me 1-2 inches. The new 650S sport seats like my 16M would have been perfect.

Never had any issues other than people taking pictures and staring when the doors went up.

When the 650 was introduced and the MP4 dropped it cost me a pretty penny but when I called the dealer to upgrade they didn't nor did any other dealer want my MP4.

Ended up wholesaling it and buying a CGT that has increased 75k so I did fine and could not be happier with the outcome.

Do not let anyone kid you especially for the money - MP4 is the fastest best handling wonderfully built car as Mclaren continually upgrades the car for free that is anything short of spectacular and I will buy a 650S down the road.
Great description, thanks!

So, a used MP4 should be a great buy at a very, very negotiable price, considering the entry of the new 650S?

Salve,
Capo

post #11 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 08:22 AM
Owner

Quote:
There is no lag, in the sense that you have to wait for the turbo's to spool up. But there is a huge gap in power between no turbo's active (sub 5500 rpm), and with turbo's active. To me that is not as attractive as the constant power delivery that the 458 has all through the rev range. I perfectly understand that other people might prefer the McLaren's delivery. It's just a matter of taste.

The suspension was fantastic, at least what I could test on very smooth Dutch roads.

The 12C is fair money, but I find the 650S a bit overpriced (at least in my market, not sure if that would be different somewhere else).

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

330GTC
post #12 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Owner

Quote:
Great description, thanks!

So, a used MP4 should be a great buy at a very, very negotiable price, considering the entry of the new 650S?
Yes!

Few things - make sure it has the 2 year service about 3000.00 along with all the updates.

If you are concerned about warranty after the factory runs out when I sold mine you had to buy an MP4 thru a dealer in order to get the extended warranty around 3500.00 per year. I was told Mclaren was working on a warranty program for customer cars.

A CF tub active air brake and brake steer it's a lot of machine if you want to get serious the settings change the cars personality from soft to hard core.

The 650 isn't that much better - wait for them to drop.

The MP4 has launch control that does zero damage - get used to seeing your buddies in the rear view mirror. Nothing on the road I ever encountered was faster.

Sport exhaust and Ceramics are nice additions but not 100% necessary. Steel has better feel but the ceramics were intended for serious driving.

Mclaren Life forum has a lot of good people - might want to search the forum for sellers and advice.
post #13 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Wow!

I suppose it's a great car for sporty driving (obviously), but also comfortable for long journeys.

In the sportiest setting, does it equal a Speciale in steering feel, responsiveness and agility?
As a car to live with, I would rate it ahead of the Speciale. In terms of agility and being able to place it on the road, about equal. For outright fun, buy a Scud.
post #14 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
As a car to live with, I would rate it ahead of the Speciale. In terms of agility and being able to place it on the road, about equal. For outright fun, buy a Scud.
Excellent and valuable advice, thanks!

Salve,
Capo

post #15 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
There is no lag, in the sense that you have to wait for the turbo's to spool up. But there is a huge gap in power between no turbo's active (sub 5500 rpm), and with turbo's active. To me that is not as attractive as the constant power delivery that the 458 has all through the rev range. I perfectly understand that other people might prefer the McLaren's delivery. It's just a matter of taste.

The suspension was fantastic, at least what I could test on very smooth Dutch roads.

The 12C is fair money, but I find the 650S a bit overpriced (at least in my market, not sure if that would be different somewhere else).

Onno
Thanks, Onno! It seems I need to try one to see how I get along with it.

Salve,
Capo

post #16 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Yes!

Few things - make sure it has the 2 year service about 3000.00 along with all the updates.

If you are concerned about warranty after the factory runs out when I sold mine you had to buy an MP4 thru a dealer in order to get the extended warranty around 3500.00 per year. I was told Mclaren was working on a warranty program for customer cars.

A CF tub active air brake and brake steer it's a lot of machine if you want to get serious the settings change the cars personality from soft to hard core.

The 650 isn't that much better - wait for them to drop.

The MP4 has launch control that does zero damage - get used to seeing your buddies in the rear view mirror. Nothing on the road I ever encountered was faster.

Sport exhaust and Ceramics are nice additions but not 100% necessary. Steel has better feel but the ceramics were intended for serious driving.

Mclaren Life forum has a lot of good people - might want to search the forum for sellers and advice.
I'll try an upgraded MP4-C12 at a convenient opportunity. Boxer having bought three Larries means it must be an interesting car.

I guess a good strategy would be to wait two more years and buy a C12 and Scud!?

Salve,
Capo

post #17 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 01:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Ok Johan, you hear that....GET A SCUD !!!

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #18 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Owner

Quote:
I agree with you - a Scud let me add 16M
post #19 of 30 Old 09-20-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Ok Johan, you hear that....GET A SCUD !!!
Should have could have Scud have...

I'll trade it for my 612 - anybody?!

Salve,
Capo

post #20 of 30 Old 09-21-2014, 12:37 AM
Owner

Crickets....

330GTC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode