American Sports Cars and their place in the automotive world - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 118 Old 04-22-2005, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
American Sports Cars and their place in the automotive world

Since this forum reaches to so many user's around the world, I wanted to get some input about the impression of american sports cars. This has always been an interesting topic to me, because I grew up in the heart of the american auto industry. I am 45 miles from Detroit and 10 miles from Flint. Because of this, my imersion in the american auto environment, I grew up with disdain for the US built sportscar. To me, they were so mundane, and lacked any exotic character. Cars like the Vette, Viper, Mustangs and Camaro's were so boring. Hence my love affair with Ferrari and other European makes.

So, my question is this. Do auto enthusiasts around the world and outside the US feel the same way, bored with the american sportscar? Or are these american sports cars special to them because they are unique, and rarely seen in other countries?

Do car colectors in other countries collect american sportcars? Just a thought.

-J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 Old 04-22-2005, 12:57 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
I like the 70s musclecars because of their raw power, but most american sportscars don't mean much to me. some exceptions though:
2nd series corvette, original cobra, first version of the viper.
post #3 of 118 Old 04-22-2005, 01:44 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 613
A '56 Corvette is very nice, and I like the Cobra... ...but only to build myself a replica for the circuit. I almost bought one, but it was a bit to expensive and I had to use most of my savings for the house...

After all I would still go for a Ferrari. I'm not a muscle man...

post #4 of 118 Old 04-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I really have no passion or affinity for any of the American cars.
post #5 of 118 Old 04-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
Me too. I have no feelings for American Sports Cars. I think they try to make them too comfortable> The balance between performance and comfort is more inclined to comfort!
post #6 of 118 Old 04-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
If we are talking modern sports cars don't forget Saleens are made in the USA and I would take it over any car that comes from any country with Italy being the exception (and maybe the UK's classic Aston Martins).
post #7 of 118 Old 04-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
I can count on one hand the number of sports car coming out of Europe. It fact there are not many coming from anywhere in the world.

I like them all.

8)

12 cylinders or walk
post #8 of 118 Old 04-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
If we are talking modern sports cars don't forget Saleens are made in the USA and I would take it over any car that comes from any country with Italy being the exception (and maybe the UK's classic Aston Martins).
I believe there is a car being produced in Sweden now that is a step up on the Saleen.

I would also toss the latest TVR's into the mix. Raw brutal drivers cars with great performance for a quarter the price of most of the others.
post #9 of 118 Old 04-25-2005, 06:39 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
I believe there is a car being produced in Sweden now that is a step up on the Saleen.

I would also toss the latest TVR's into the mix. Raw brutal drivers cars with great performance for a quarter the price of most of the others.
You wouldn't happen to be talking about the Koenigsegg CC ? If you are... Joy to the world because that is a GREAT car
post #10 of 118 Old 04-25-2005, 06:59 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz

You wouldn't happen to be talking about the Koenigsegg CC ? If you are... Joy to the world because that is a GREAT car
Yes, I am.
post #11 of 118 Old 04-27-2005, 10:04 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
well, i'm no big american car fan, sports or other cars
but there are several cars that i do like, mostly because of their heritage

actually some of the best american cars IMO where build in the 1920's & 30's
like Duesenbergs
post #12 of 118 Old 06-21-2005, 03:47 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
In my opinion,

I have a ZR1. Awesome care! Fast, and turns on a dime. I've driven my brother's 550, 512bbi, and Dino and they are all great cars..... but.. his new Ford GT kicks them all. I've not driven a car like that one.
Drives like a dream
post #13 of 118 Old 06-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Here's my story.
3 years ago I had a little money I needed to get rid of. I wanted to get a boat. I looked at my lifestyle and decided that I really didn't have the time for a boat. If I had a boat it would just sit in the yard on the trailer. You can't enjoy a boat on the trailer in the yard. You can't take it out for an hour. So I thought sportscar. I looked at the Vette. Great car. The problem I had was that every swingin' dick out there has a Vette. You see them every day. It isn't something special. For the same money I got a 308 and I have something special. I have something that when I was a teenager was just a dream. And it is still a dream to this day. The styling is timeless. People come up to me and think the car is brand new, they can't believe that it is an antique. You can't say that about a '79 Vette, Camaro or Mustang. The styling on those cars is dated. Not a bad thing, just different.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #14 of 118 Old 06-22-2005, 01:50 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512bbi
but.. his new Ford GT kicks them all. I've not driven a car like that one.
Drives like a dream
After it's 7th recall maybe. :lol: :lol:

While I will say the Ford GT is a brute force car...my biggest problem with it is that you can't get in or out of the damn thing if you are parked beside someone!! The door has to be fully opened in order to get in or out. BAD STYLING mistake in my opinion. Yes they were going for the retro GT-40 look...but that was a pure race car...not a street car. Add that to the fact that it has been recalled no less than 7 times already too...all silently so as to not bring to much attention to the fact that Ford screwed up on this project...yeah...I'm losing respect for Ford's new people. (Though I do love my '91 Mustang Convertible!!)

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...
post #15 of 118 Old 06-22-2005, 08:27 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
did you see last sunday's Top Gear??
and ALL the problems that Jeremy already had with his 1 week old Ford GT
witch finally was delivered after 2 years waiting, and witch the day after delivery wouldn't start anymore? :green:
post #16 of 118 Old 06-22-2005, 08:48 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 509
You guys are all right, american sports cars have lost their flare, and I do think they LOST it. I have a 1970 Chevelle SS. The 70s muscle cars had brute force, true, and they dont find themsleves out on the track much, but how many people do you see runnin down the street with a 70 chevelle SS. My parents live in Rochester NY and on a weekend to visit I saw 4 Ferraris . One 456, a 328, a 348, and a 308. Dont get me wrong, I love Ferraris ... all of them, and seeing them on the road in upstate NY is even cooler, but I saw far more Ferraris than I did classic American Muscle cars. I dont think anyone can disscount the older muscle cars, they have their place. Unlike the newer corvettes, and whatever else there is out there, they're not a dime a dozen (anymore) and I think they have their value. Then again, this post asked for someones opinion that lived outside of the US ... that would not be me. In any case, I wouldnt discount all american sports cars ... just most of them. :lol:
post #17 of 118 Old 06-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

I really don't know anyone who would rather go for a ride in a 69 Mustang over a Daytona.
post #18 of 118 Old 06-22-2005, 06:52 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 509
Exactly my point.

Theres a million mustangs and camaros and corvettes, and other american cars, but the ones that are the rarest tend to hold some value still ...

I agree that I would rather take a ride in a daytona than a mustang, and even over a 70 Chevelle, but I still wouldnt forget 100 years of american auto making.

I had the privilage of riding in a 70 hemi cuda (attached), as well as some other rare cars, like a 70 Plymouth Superbird, and they were very nice cars, hands above a vette, but I would still take a ferrari, hence Im here and nto on a muscle car forum.
Attached Images

post #19 of 118 Old 06-22-2005, 07:14 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Don't think that I don't love Ferraris, cause I really do. I really love the older ones that make alot of noise and creaks and etc... I think that hearing the carbs suck in the air is totally cool, but if you think that American cars have lost their flare you obviously haven't seen any of the Barrett Jackson telecasts from Scottsdale. The American cars have gone way up in value and desire.
BBi
post #20 of 118 Old 06-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

I beg to differ on this, Barrett Jackson is an example of great salesmanship, not an indication of any great global market upswing for these American muscle cars.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode