There should be a tax on kids. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-13-2005, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
There should be a tax on kids.

Ok, my wife and I don't have any kids (although she wants one bad). Because of the fact we don't have kids we don't currently use any of the schools or social services or youth centers or anything like that. So you'd think, "Well, that's cool, you must get a break on your taxes." Nope. Quite the opposite, I pay more. When you give birth to a dependant you get a tax DEDUCTION. You pay less. It's like a reward for not using a condom.

Say my neighbor decides to have a kid. He gets a tax deduction. Because the population has increased we need a new school and more teachers. My taxes go up. How is that even remotely fair? Your probably thinking, "Well raising a kid is expensive so you can't afford to pay as much in taxes." Well then don't have kids if you can't afford them! Why should I pay more in taxes because other people are breeding like rabbits? Say an unemployed addict trades sex for drugs and spits out a kid. She doesn't pay any taxes, in fact, the government is going to give her money. It's called welfare. Guess who's pocket that comes out of? And she feels that that welfare money is her God-given right and she deserves it.

When you register a car, you pay an excise or "use" tax. That money pays for the roads. If you don't have a car, you don't pay for the roads. If you have 2 cars and 2 drivers, you pay for more of the roads. Now that's fair. Your income tax pays for the public transportation so you are still paying what is fair for what you are using. I think kids should be registered also and a flat rate annual fee applied to cover the costs of the public services that kid is going to use. If you have 2 kids, you pay twice as much as the family with one kid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for pitching in for the "Greater Good" and I don't mind helping to pay to build a new school. I just don't think that I should pay more for that school than the family that has 6 kids who are going to use it. I want it to be there when my wife and I are ready to have kids, but why am I paying a teacher's salary now? Why can't I wait until she's teaching my kid something. I don't need to keep her "on retainer" until then.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-13-2005, 10:44 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 68
I don't know, to me it would be to help improve your nation. You may be paying to educate other peoples children, but if you think of it as a service to enrich your country in the long run... the more everone helps out now, the better your country will be in the future, thats how civilization works....

Not to mention taxing people for procreating seems almost absurd to me...I thought that was the whole point of life itself.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-13-2005, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta
I don't know, to me it would be to help improve your nation. You may be paying to educate other peoples children, but if you think of it as a service to enrich your country in the long run... the more everone helps out now, the better your country will be in the future, thats how civilization works....

Not to mention taxing people for procreating seems almost absurd to me...I thought that was the whole point of life itself.
I do think of it as a service to help the nation and the world in the long run, but why do I pay more than the people that have the kids? Am I being punished for NOT procreating?

As for the procreating part, the Lord did say, "Go forth and multiply.", but he didn't say, "Thy neighbors shall pay for the upbringing of thy offspring"

Sorry if that appears blasphemous, I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm just frustrated I guess. I'm paying my taxes and I feel like the government is penalizing me for not having kids.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

post #4 of 8 Old 04-13-2005, 02:52 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
I think it is more costly to have kids than not having them, even if it includes tax deduction.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
Kids will pay for my retirement. I want the children today to be well educated so they will make good money so the government will tax them for my needs.

Besides, what greater joy can a man have then watching his son graduate with a BS and a third mate’s license?

8)

12 cylinders or walk
post #6 of 8 Old 04-14-2005, 03:31 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
Besides, what greater joy can a man have then watching his son graduate with a BS and a third mate’s license?
I can think of about a thousand things off the top of my head. If I think about it for 5 minutes... I can probably come up with a few thousand more.

But that's because I do not like children. I don't like the idea of children. I'm with Pete for now...

Don't have kids Pete !!!! They will only destroy your life.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
I have never had as much joy as when my children crowned with my wife. The feeling is better than anything I can think of. It is my touch with immortality. My life force continues with them.

Yes, children make you less self-centered but so what?

8)

12 cylinders or walk
post #8 of 8 Old 04-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Pete all your answers are here: www.fairtax.org

I was thrilled to see this weeks issue of the Economist to cover this story and I'm sending a copy to both my senators and representative. A flat or VAT would be nice. Just fill out one post card size paper (flat example) and send it in, or just buy stuff and pay tax.

The tax code is so complex now that loop holes allow for mass deductions. Start an S-corp and figure out ways to make it lose money legally while still benefitting you (50% of your phone bill as a cost, etc).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode