Spring Cleaning - working in the garage - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-10-2005, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Spring Cleaning - working in the garage

I've spent the last 3 days cleaning in the garage. Something that was beyond overdue. The attached garage to my house is a 3-car, but it is the "drive-through" style so it has 6 freakin' doors. (It's like a semi-circular driveway with the house in the middle. I only use 4 of the doors, the other 2 I use for wall space). I took everything out of the garage, opened up all the doors and ran a pressure washer over the whole thing. Man it is amazing how a garage just becomes a catch-all for the junk you have no idea where else to put. I filled up a few trash cans and as I put each item in there I was like "Why were we storing this? Why didn't we just throw this out 2 years ago instead of putting it in the garage? Why do we have a toaster in the garage?"

The other thing I did was clean out my tool box. I dumped all my tools into 3 totes and gave the box a proper cleaning (with the pressure washer). Sorted and organized all my tools, labeled the drawers, etc. The tool box had become another storage location for stuff I would never use. It's all sorted out now though. I had so many sockets!! I actually made up 3 entire 1/4" drive sets from my junk drawer! BTW- I no longer have a "junk" drawer. The junk is gone! (well, almost gone, there is still a pile of junk in the driveway, right next to the snowbank, yep there is still snow on the ground)

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-10-2005, 05:28 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
hahaha, you sound like my father: "Don't throw that away, maybe I can use it someday"
post #3 of 8 Old 04-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Pete, Well done. I go through the same process every couple of years. Always put it off way to long but feel great when it is finally done. 8)

post #4 of 8 Old 04-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
Would you like to come over to my garage and do it again? You appeared to have fun doing it and I thought it would be nice to let you have some more enjoyment.

8)

12 cylinders or walk
post #5 of 8 Old 04-10-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
Would you like to come over to my garage and do it again? You appeared to have fun doing it and I thought it would be nice to let you have some more enjoyment.

8)
Yeah Bart, I would love to come over and clean out your garage. I bet you have a few things in there I would rather have in my garage. Let's start with the car. Just leave the keys in it. I'll move that out first. :green:

Capt. Pete
post #6 of 8 Old 04-11-2005, 03:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
I have a very, VERY small room so when I moved from my very, VERY big house I had to dump a LOT of stuff. 2 couches, several closets, pots, p[ans, and general other stuffs. Very rewarding.

But the new, small room is actually very good for my cleaning skills. Small room = fast congestion of room. Cleaning skills = tidy room.

Tidy room good, congested room bad
post #7 of 8 Old 04-11-2005, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Yeah, if you have a small space you quickly learn to prioritize the "nice to have" and "need to have". When you have a big space you just seem to fill it up with junk.

When my wife and I were dating the only thing I had on my kitchen counter was a microwave. Cleaning the counter involved running a rag over it. Done. Now we have the microwave, a coffee maker, a candle we never burn, an assortment of decorative jars with stuff in them we don't use, a plant, 2 pump bottles of hand soap and a cutting board. So now when you want to clean the counter you have to move all that junk. "But it looked so bare before". Aargh!

Capt. Pete
post #8 of 8 Old 04-12-2005, 12:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
It's the 3rd Law of Entropy ...

"Junk expands to fill the space available"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode