My First Electric Vehicle - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 09-11-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
My First Electric Vehicle

I traded one of my dirt bikes for an electric dirt bike. Now the Taligreens have no argument against me anymore, for I own a zero emission vehicle!
Attached Images

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Congrats ! Looks purposeful. Will you fit on that "thin" comfortable ? Size wise it looks like a kid bike.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #3 of 21 Old 09-11-2014, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Congrats ! Looks purposeful. Will you fit on that "thin" comfortable ? Size wise it looks like a kid bike.
Thanks!!

It looks small in the picture but it's the same size as a petrol full size motocross bike. But it weighs only 95kg. This is the future for dirt riding near developed settlements and within city limits, without disturbing a single soul! I've been promised the first bike arriving in CH, after writing directly to the Marketing Manager at KTM. This model has been under final development the last two years and finally it's getting released.

I'm planning on riding on the mountain right outside my village in the early mornings, when no hikers nor mountain bikers are out on the trails.

Salve,
Capo

post #4 of 21 Old 09-12-2014, 02:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Congrats Capo,

Wishing you much fun on it! In 2004 I designed a crude electric set up for my push bike. That thing could push 60 kmph. A decade later with better technology and a KTM to boot - it will fly.

David.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
post #5 of 21 Old 09-12-2014, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16M Down Under View Post
Congrats Capo,

Wishing you much fun on it! In 2004 I designed a crude electric set up for my push bike. That thing could push 60 kmph. A decade later with better technology and a KTM to boot - it will fly.

David.
Thanks!

Do you have photos of that e-bicycle you made?

E-motor assisted bicycles today are very interesting.

Salve,
Capo

post #6 of 21 Old 09-12-2014, 04:52 AM
Owner

It's buried in my shed. I will did it out over the weekend and take a picture. I started with a standard racing style bike. I ran a second LHS chain ring and hooked it up to an 800W high torque/low rpm motor via a second bike chain. After tinkering with gearing ratios etc I finally got it right, enabling me to push a massive chainring.

Back in those days e bikes consisted of lousy 200W low torque/high rev motors on the front wheel.

As a previous triathlete my goal was to assist my 200-300W of human leg strength for a bit of fun. Well the results were outstanding. A 4-5 human power bike! Ride up hills at around 30-40 kph and 40-60 kph on the flat. Way too scary to use the motor downhill as speeds could be motorbike like! Imagine a standard bike frame at 100+++kph. Riding range under was around 50-100 k, depending on how much assistance was used.

Such a blast to catch up to a lycra clad peloton and burst pass them. Because they couldn't hear the motor, their amazed faces were priceless. It all ended when my batteries gradually failed and I suddenly lost interest.

Over the past couple of months I have noticed that you can now buy commercial bikes that use my main crank power assist idea. Optibike and I think Stealth Bomber. Might just have to revisit it again with a purpose built machine.

David.

post #7 of 21 Old 09-12-2014, 05:22 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 204
Pretty bike you have Capo! Is that Freeride E model?

Lads, have a look at this: Greyp Bikes
Some advanced technology in this one.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-12-2014, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16M Down Under View Post
It's buried in my shed. I will did it out over the weekend and take a picture. I started with a standard racing style bike. I ran a second LHS chain ring and hooked it up to an 800W high torque/low rpm motor via a second bike chain. After tinkering with gearing ratios etc I finally got it right, enabling me to push a massive chainring.

Back in those days e bikes consisted of lousy 200W low torque/high rev motors on the front wheel.

As a previous triathlete my goal was to assist my 200-300W of human leg strength for a bit of fun. Well the results were outstanding. A 4-5 human power bike! Ride up hills at around 30-40 kph and 40-60 kph on the flat. Way too scary to use the motor downhill as speeds could be motorbike like! Imagine a standard bike frame at 100+++kph. Riding range under was around 50-100 k, depending on how much assistance was used.

Such a blast to catch up to a lycra clad peloton and burst pass them. Because they couldn't hear the motor, their amazed faces were priceless. It all ended when my batteries gradually failed and I suddenly lost interest.

Over the past couple of months I have noticed that you can now buy commercial bikes that use my main crank power assist idea. Optibike and I think Stealth Bomber. Might just have to revisit it again with a purpose built machine.

David.
I suspected there was a cool story behind your engineering feat! I love it!

Salve,
Capo

post #9 of 21 Old 09-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
oh my

You have got a lot of balls !! lol....The word electric, along with car , and or motorcycle, makes me cringe...lol..
post #10 of 21 Old 09-12-2014, 04:24 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Garage
I have always said that if I ever get a motorcycle it would be an electric dirt bike. But I would still prefer a light, electric downhill mountain bike... Congratulations and happy riding!

Наздраве, Цветан!
post #11 of 21 Old 09-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Capo, congrats ! Like 212 mentioned, she looks not that different from one of my bicycle !

Where do you find your time for all your toys ? Good man !.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #12 of 21 Old 09-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Capo Capo!

What a great toy - I gave up waiting and recently bought Piaggio 400ie.
Attached Images

post #13 of 21 Old 09-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Owner

Here is a photo from the bike graveyard. Surprising how such a crude device could be so powerful. It is basically a small high torque winch motor. Back then I also made a 1200W version but could never ride it because every time I turned it on it snapped the bike chain like it was piece of string.

When you consider how much power can be delivered by a simpler and greener device, you can see how the internal combustion engine's days are sadly numbered. If the panels of the car (some cheaper CF like composite) can be solar generating or even better a battery replacement, then just watch this technology take over.

I saw a documentary on a South Korean building built by Samsung where the glass generates it's electricity.

David.
Attached Images

post #14 of 21 Old 09-13-2014, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Capo Capo!

What a great toy - I gave up waiting and recently bought Piaggio 400ie.
Thanks!

The reversed trike setup with leaning front wheels from Piaggio, is very clever and cool. I bet you can brake almost all the way to the apex, having two wheels up front? I'm sure there will be an electric version of it soon. Can it do a burn out?

Salve,
Capo

post #15 of 21 Old 09-13-2014, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

David!

I think you should clean the bike up, spray the whole thing white (chains, tyres and all) and hang it on the wall!

Salve,
Capo

post #16 of 21 Old 09-13-2014, 05:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Thanks!

The reversed trike setup with leaning front wheels from Piaggio, is very clever and cool. I bet you can brake almost all the way to the apex, having two wheels up front? I'm sure there will be an electric version of it soon. Can it do a burn out?
Piaggio stopped producing the 4 & 500 cc engine - may want to pick one up they are becoming scarce.

I am modifying the engine including the gears - hoping for smoke

You bought the best of the best for the dirt - X-Bow on the shopping list?
post #17 of 21 Old 09-14-2014, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Piaggio stopped producing the 4 & 500 cc engine - may want to pick one up they are becoming scarce.

I am modifying the engine including the gears - hoping for smoke

You bought the best of the best for the dirt - X-Bow on the shopping list?
Note taken on 4-500cc, will look around. It's very strange to cut down on engine size now that the Japanese scooter manufacturers are doing the contrary.

Looking forward to smoking tyres, please make a thread about the soup-up! I'm curious on the gearing.

X-Bow is interesting as it has carbon tub and is light. I like the light weight sports cars very much indeed. The problem with the X-Bow is that it is wide. The narrowest of them all is the Caterham Seven. The whole point is to make good use of them on narrow roads and this is why a constrained width is so important. The BAC Mono is also a true delight! - 540kg, aspirated 280hp at 8.000rpm and central mono seat!!

Salve,
Capo

post #18 of 21 Old 09-19-2014, 09:48 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
How much did you paid for it?
post #19 of 21 Old 09-20-2014, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitushu View Post
How much did you paid for it?
Did you mean Champagne612's Piaggio or my KTM? My KTM was around 13.000CHF. It's not cheap for a dirt bike but it's pioneering motor technology in a state of the art dirt bike. And nobody can hear the engine scream in the early mornings!

Salve,
Capo

post #20 of 21 Old 09-28-2014, 10:42 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
This is a great trail bike. Would love to ride one of those for sure

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode