Peter, - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-07-2005, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
Peter,

My son will have his Third Mate thing with all the other things this 4-30-05. Of course, I will be there as a very proud father beating my chest. He passed the first time. Hurray.

You say you spend 10 years before you were wise enough to get what you wanted. Most people waste their lives not getting what they wish for because they do not do what is required. I am very lucky. My son knows what he wants and he now has gotten it. His only problem now is a job. I know he will get it. He has applied to many places, even the Secret Service. He wants to get his second mate license so he can do something, which I do not understand but whatever he wants, I support.

Good heavens, am I a proud father.

I am happy you are back from where ever you were.

:green:

12 cylinders or walk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-08-2005, 03:48 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Congrats again Bart! I know you have been anxiously waiting this day!

Actually, his goal should not be to get his second mate's license, it should be to get his Master's license. He took the combined 3rd mate & 2nd mate exam so all he needs for the upgrade to 2nd Mate is seatime.

The secret service seems to me like a 180 turn around for someone who has a degree in Marine Transportation. I can't imagine what the secret service would want with a licensed mariner. But they may take a good hard look at him because he was part of a Regiment.

The oil industry is hiring right now. Transocean, Global and Pride are the major players in the deepwater industry. The entry level position for him would be this:

DYNAMIC POSITIONING OPERATORS
Positions require Nautical Institute Dynamic Positioning Training courses and other regulatory and non-regulatory courses as required along with knowledge of all technical calculations required for the safe operation of the drilling unit and basic computer skills. Some DPO positions may also require a valid 2nd or 3rd Mates license.

We work 12 hour days so for the USCG that is 1.5 days seatime for each day worked (Coast Guard calls a day 8 hrs). So on a 3-week on, 3-week off rotation he would have his 2nd Mates in about a year and a half.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 3 Old 04-08-2005, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
Thanks, I forwarded your letter to him.

:green:

12 cylinders or walk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode