Price Adjustment Or Not On The Classics? - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-19-2014, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Price Adjustment Or Not On The Classics?

I believe there will be no adjustment. If you have a dream of owning a classic Ferrari and you can afford it - buy it now!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 08-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,311
Capo! Where have you been all summer?
I think there will be a "market correction", but even if there is, we aren't going back to the days of five figure Dino's. So I agree with your overall premise.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 08-20-2014, 04:39 AM
 
Tsvetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria, EU
Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Garage
What about the prices of F355 ? I just fell in love - Ferrari 355 Tubi Exhaust Pure sound - YouTube ...
Tsvetan is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Capo! Where have you been all summer?
I think there will be a "market correction", but even if there is, we aren't going back to the days of five figure Dino's. So I agree with your overall premise.
Quite so, and as the tifosi buyers we are, a correction will rarely have an effect on long term ownership. Hence my deduction; if the car is right and it's indeed the classic Ferrari model you're craving for - buy it! If you're tempted to sell but you love your car, then don't!

I'm in Scandinavia on the boat, enjoying sailing, camaraderie and an occasional concubine - and when there's no concubine readily available, there's always the spot market!

We went to the neighbouring island the other day and shot a magnificent roe buck. It's hanging in my friends white wine cooler(!). It's been too hot to hang meat in room temperature and one mustn't push the maceration process, the slower the better, which requires lower temperatures. So we carried all the white wine to the basement, ripped the shelves out of the wine cooler and tucked in the the poor roebuck - real Tarantino shit!

Now that the main course is secured, we are awaiting calmer weather in order to catch some salt water trout for the starter. The lobster season is still not on but we are successfully landing grand langoustines. The only mishap is that one of my two Champagne fridges onboard decided to close down shop. My new nav station is playing up as well so there were technicians onboard today fiddling around, looking like they were hard at work.

But all in all, it's all good mate!

How are you going yourself, my friend?

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 08-20-2014, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsvetan View Post
What about the prices of F355 ? I just fell in love - Ferrari 355 Tubi Exhaust Pure sound - YouTube ...
Manual gear box, my friend, the F1 is tooooooo slow. There should be no hurry with purchasing a fine 355. Prices on 328:s are catching up though. Get one of those instead, the rarer GTB, the 328:s are much cheaper to maintain. Or a 308, a Vetro is now already shooting off in price.

Market adjustments only go so far, when supply is definite and demand is surging. Add to this, a huge price insensitivity on the newly added market. I'm telling you again, my friends, buy now!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

Last edited by il Capolino; 08-20-2014 at 11:55 AM.
il Capolino is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 08-20-2014, 12:37 PM
 
Tsvetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria, EU
Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Garage
I know 308/328 are cheaper to maintain but I'm considering the big gap in production years between these and the 355 and thinking that maybe more things will start to break on these older cars and the difference in maintenance would not be big. I wouldn't get the F1 transmission, even if it wasn't slow or expensive - I won't be using it as a daily driver in heavy city traffic so no point in a (semi)automatic gearbox, especially for a Ferrari.
So far I've found a good looking example of F355 Berlinetta with service history etc. that fits my budget (haven't seen it in person yet) and a 308GTBi QV with timing belt just done for about the same price. I'm really tempted by the performance of the 355 though...and that sound...and that 8.5k rpm redline....
Ah, I've spent so many hours in reading and watching videos that I may have discovered a cure for the Ebola virus by now....
Tsvetan is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 08-20-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsvetan View Post
I know 308/328 are cheaper to maintain but I'm considering the big gap in production years between these and the 355 and thinking that maybe more things will start to break on these older cars and the difference in maintenance would not be big. I wouldn't get the F1 transmission, even if it wasn't slow or expensive - I won't be using it as a daily driver in heavy city traffic so no point in a (semi)automatic gearbox, especially for a Ferrari.
So far I've found a good looking example of F355 Berlinetta with service history etc. that fits my budget (haven't seen it in person yet) and a 308GTBi QV with timing belt just done for about the same price. I'm really tempted by the performance of the 355 though...and that sound...and that 8.5k rpm redline....
Ah, I've spent so many hours in reading and watching videos that I may have discovered a cure for the Ebola virus by now....
Make no mistake, my friend, the 355 is magic. I owned one back in the day and I put a lot of miles on it. I really enjoyed it but for sure, the miles in a 355 will cost you a lot more than in a sorted 308/328, no doubt. The 355 is expensive to own.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 08-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
But all in all, it's all good mate!
How are you going yourself, my friend?

Very well Capo, although nothing near as exciting as your current situation.
The closest we get to "wild" game are the local deer that many think are a scourge.
I have about 15 pounds of venison left that we are rationing until we can catch more.
As for adventure, we just completed our Italy plans for the year.
We'll be in Piemonte for the truffle season, and have booked a tour at the Ferrari Factory.
I'm counting the days...


Fair winds and following seas.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 08-20-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Very well Capo, although nothing near as exciting as your current situation.
The closest we get to "wild" game are the local deer that many think are a scourge.
I have about 15 pounds of venison left that we are rationing until we can catch more.
As for adventure, we just completed our Italy plans for the year.
We'll be in Piemonte for the truffle season, and have booked a tour at the Ferrari Factory.
I'm counting the days...


Fair winds and following seas.
I'll be at Relais San Maurizio, Santo Stefano Belbo, just give me a call and I'll meet up with you. It's my favourite hangout for white truffle and it's only an hour and a half from my house. Wherever you're booked, it's nearby.

If you feel like additional company, both 212 and I are reasonably nearby.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 08-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,311
I would consider meeting you, 212, and Onno, as winning the European Trifecta !
Let me get out the map and see what we can devise.
I may PM you shortly.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale