Worst Car? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-15-2005, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Worst Car?

What is the worst car you have ever owned? In my case it is a 1989 Saab 900S. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong with this horrible machine. Trading it in, :lol: was the highlight of my Saab experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-16-2005, 02:22 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 824
Well, that leaves me with a choice out of three:

1989 Renault 19
1990 Toyota Corolla
1990 Nissan Sunny Coupe

The only car that let me down once was the Renault, but it had the most mileage on it and was the oldest car I had owned. Had several relatively major repair bills on the car, but after trading it in, it appeared that I did drive cheap with that one.

The two Japanese cars did not have any major issues and never let me down. Absolutely solid! If I wasn´t hit by a German which totalled my Toyota, I was still driving it!

Niels

Doomed for life with the Ferrari virus
post #3 of 10 Old 01-16-2005, 03:27 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
well, my owners list is still at 1
a 2004 VW Golf IV 1.9 TDI

untill now, not a single problem

post #4 of 10 Old 01-19-2005, 09:48 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 476
83 Mazda Rx7 GSL. Loved the car! Leather, sunroof, hatch back, and quick. The engine wound up getting the dreaded o-ring oil leak. It was a 57 cent part but in order to replace it you have to disassemble the whole engine! Rebuilding a rotary is VERY expensive. Try about 7,000. The car wasn't worth that much. It also was having problems with the rear axel seals leaking.

I wound up calling around and sourced a low mileage engine from a guy I'd sold my 240Z (which had a brand new L28, Webers, front air dam, lexan headlamp covers, Wheel flares for 15x8 and 15x10 wheels, Full suspension Techniques- springs- sway bars, Koni shocks, and fresh Ferrari cherry red paint for $1,500. (I was in a financial bind and was loosing the storage space I had the car) I got the engine for $150. But, the new engine could be lifted by two people (it's all aluminum) and fit in the hatch. Better yet it only took six hours to swap out.

I later sold the car for what I had bought it for.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-19-2005, 12:05 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 770
Unquestionably the Audi TT - truly a dreadful car in virtually every respect - although I'm prepared to admit that it does look nice.

I honestly believe I'm the only person in the world to sell a TT for a Volvo and actually believe the Volvo is more fun to drive!!
post #6 of 10 Old 01-20-2005, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil
Unquestionably the Audi TT - truly a dreadful car in virtually every respect - although I'm prepared to admit that it does look nice.

I honestly believe I'm the only person in the world to sell a TT for a Volvo and actually believe the Volvo is more fun to drive!!
It can't possibly have had worst handling than a Alfa Spider I had in the late 80's. Over 80 mph, the handling was truly scary.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-20-2005, 12:36 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 102
I have a BMW 520i 1991 Sedan.

A very reliable car until lately:

Due to hot days, car interior is coming off the doors - a very big problem with these cars - the adhesive just disintegrates. Obviously in Germany they do not get 40+ degrees days!

Also the fuel injection is having some issues. The car has no "get up and go". I think maybe this is because my mum puts normal unleaded into it rather than premium. That could just be coincidence I will get the mechanic to look at it this week. - it does have a very throaty sound right now.

The car is a bit sluggish, but it is very safe and nice to drive.

We also have a 528i, 1998 model which has not had any problems apart from the airbag control unit malfunctioning and displaying the airbag warning light. That was fixed under warranty

Also, we have a 1992 Toyota Landcruiser (80 Series). It has done 250,000kms+ and is a great car. The head gasket has been replaced. The engine is start to chew up oil like it going out of fashion - after 300K we will either part ways with the car, or rebuild the engine and keep going. We have a family of six and a really big garden (buying a lot of plants + fertiliser etc), so it is a great car for us.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-20-2005, 12:42 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer42
Quote:

It can't possibly have had worst handling than a Alfa Spider I had in the late 80's. Over 80 mph, the handling was truly scary.
Possibly not - but if the handling of your Alfa was scary - at least it would have been interesting!!! The TT was incredibly boring and tedious to drive!!

Half the fun of the Volvo was that it didn't handle very well - but made huge power - so it was always out of control!!! It was an absolute riot!!
post #9 of 10 Old 01-20-2005, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer42
Quote:

Possibly not - but if the handling of your Alfa was scary - at least it would have been interesting!!! The TT was incredibly boring and tedious to drive!!

Half the fun of the Volvo was that it didn't handle very well - but made huge power - so it was always out of control!!! It was an absolute riot!!
On any surface other than new perfect black top, the Alfa's back end acted like it was on ice skates. It was a 2.0l front engine, rear wheel drive, 5 speed slip and slide..... :-? I think the weight distribution was 80/20 but I am not sure there was that much weight on the rear...
post #10 of 10 Old 01-21-2005, 09:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 55
i've had 86 prelude
94 nissan sentra
88 porsche 944
96 integra gs-r

i have to say the porshce 944 everything jsut went at once. it had 124,000 miles on it. but it was so much fun to drive. i wish i kept it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode