To My English Friends - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-28-2014, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
To My English Friends

When I was in your fair county during the first year of the millennium, I stayed at a home which did not have an address which I understood.It had only a name.There was a subway station near High Street which took me into downtown London.

At this place, I earned my keep by opening the gate in the morning and closing it at night.During my walk to and from the gate I noticed some trees in a circle with one in the middle. Knowing the builder of this place did it when he had just returned from my State of California in 1851, I thought about the trees.Then I knew what they were.They are redwoods.These are trees which grow very big.

When I was there, the circle trees were about 75 feet each. (I do not know it in meters) The center one was over 90 feet.All were very healthy.These trees ready like the climate in England.

I think I would tell the Englishmen that in a few years, you will have some very large trees. If I ever come back to Jolly Old England, I will travel to Ponders and check out how much they have grown.

Cheers

12 cylinders or walk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Bart- In all likelihood, what you saw were Lebanese Cedars, which look very similar to the Coastal Redwoods and Sequoias in California. These trees grow huge in the UK and are widely planted in village and estate greens across the UK. Here is a photo of one behind my 308 GTS when I lived in Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. This tree was easily 80' tall and the trunk was a good 12' in diameter. The climate in the UK is not really suited for redwoods.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-29-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
Nay, those are not cedars & they like the climate. We will see in a few hundred years or so. (Ha-ha)

12 cylinders or walk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode