Help from an Aussie is needed please - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 12-17-2004, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 776
Help from an Aussie is needed please

Just a very simple question...Does Holden make a convertible Commodore? (I think that's the car GM brings over here as the GTO) I want to know because if they do, there is a good chance that in a few years, we will get a drop top GTO here.

And, for anyone here in the states, if you have not driven an '04 GTO yet...wow...it is awesome. But, the '05 is going to have 400 hp instead of 350, and 400 ft/lb instead of 365. The '04 I took for a test drive barked the wheels at 60 mph when I dropped two gears to blow past a line of traffic. I am seriously concidering getting the GTO instead of waiting for the Mustang GT Convertible. But I want a drop top so I hold the hope that Holden has a convertible in their line up that GM will bring over as a drop top GTO.

Ok...enough ramble from me for now. :wink:

Thanks!

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
No, or at least not in the current line-up.

The GTO is a reworked Holden Monaro which is based on the 4-door Commodore model. That car range started many years ago (early 80s?) as a reworking of 2 Opel models, combining the front of one (the V6) with the rear of another! I forget the exact models now.

The Monaro lineage actually goes back to the early 70s, when it was developed as a 2-door coupe version of the 4-door family car range. It hit the big-time by taking out the annual 500mile Bathurst endurance race several times running a 350ci V8. That was in the days of genuine Production Car racing, where a minimum of 250 (I think) of the cars had to be sold to the public to be eligible to race, and only fairly minor changes could be made on race-day. The original 350 Monaros are very well respected over here, like your original GTOs no doubt. ha:

The last I'd heard, the current model is possibly going to get the new Corvette 7-litre V8 (if it's good enough, Holden say!). But a convertible I've never heard about. Traditionally they don't sell big drop-tops here (lots of small ones but no big ones), so I'd doubt it will happen.

Sorry!
post #3 of 4 Old 12-25-2004, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 776
Well crap then. I was hoping they would do one, but if it is not even there, then I doubt they would take the time to design one for us. :-?

Oh well. Thanks for the info though!

Oh yeah and...2005...the GTO here will be getting a 6 liter, 400 h.p. LS2 from the Corvette. Man...the 350 h.p. LS1 that is in the 2004 is evil enough. Now they are adding 50 more h.p.

I will still hold on to the hopes of a "GTO Judge" in 2006/7 though. The rumors floating around have it putting down 500 h.p. and 550 ft/lb. Ford GT teritory there pal. :wink: And for an msrp way less than the GT also.

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...

post #4 of 4 Old 12-26-2004, 12:49 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 102
I have seen pictures of the convertible Monaro, on the front of a Wheels/Motor magazine im sure...

It was black and had a red leather interior and i am told it was set to be released next year. I could be wrong.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode