Internet slang or weird typo's ?? - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 11-12-2004, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Internet slang or weird typo's ??

On a more general note... what I find infinetly strange is the fact that there are so many english speaking people (americans, brits and so on) on this (and many other) forum(s) that appear they wouldn't know how to spell if their life depended on it. So just out of curiousity... is that internet slang or something ??

Or (and be honest here) is it just plain lazyness ?? That you don't want to re-read your post and edit it ??
Basosz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old 11-12-2004, 02:08 PM
 
Join Date: May 2004
Ferrari Life Posts: 476
I can only speak for myself but, I'm dyslexic (very slightly) and because if it, a very bad speller. Even with it I'm a voracious reader. No real problem there. Only really rears it's head with spelling. I can write a word down and look at it not really knowing if that's the way I'd seen it spelled correctly. I always try to copy to Word, use the spell check, and then paste back.

There are times that I'm in a hurry here at work though and don't do it. So, yes I'm sure I'm one of the guilty ones. I however don't use it as an excuse. I believe in always checking spelling. It can sometimes be a deciding factor on whether someone gives your argument credibility or not. After all, how are you to take someone’s opinion as an educated one if they can't even spell properly. When I was young, before computers and spell check, I'd have a spelling dictionary at my desk. Needless to say it was used a lot.


If there's any misspelled words here then I have a bad spell check on my computer. I checked it.
senna21 is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old 11-12-2004, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Could you explain to me how your dyslexia works? I have some basic idea about how (some of) it works... but since I don't suffer from it I have no idea how to imagine it.

When I'm making a post, I re-read just about every sentence to make sure there are no spelling errors because I think it looks plain sloppy and to be honest... even stupid. I just don't like them.

Senna... I don't want to down-play your dyslexia... I believe that a lot of people suffer from this on some level or another. But on other fora I sometimes visit seems to be a slight trend to blame every typo on dyslexia when they just don't know or don't care how to spell.

What I see on this forum is that I can write better english than english-speaking citizens. And I'm from the Netherlands so by all means I shouldn't be able to write better english that those english dudes and dudettes.
Basosz is offline  
 
post #4 of 36 Old 11-12-2004, 03:52 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sanford, North Carolina
Ferrari Life Posts: 776
Dude...English is by far the hardest language in the world. Not everyone is a master of it. Heck, my Grandmother spent 20+ years as a college professor teaching English and even she makes mistakes once in a while.

I'd bet that the majority of the English typing people here do not speak English on a daily basis; therefore, they will have trouble putting down their intended thought properly. S**t, even I, a born-n-raised American English speaker have trouble spelling sometimes. (see my "Dougie Houser" post:wink: :nuts

And, I could also possibly trip you up on some English phrases. I won't say for sure because I am not aware of your skills in the English language though. But I bet I could throw down a few and you would have no clue as to what they are.

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...
360 Spyder is offline  
post #5 of 36 Old 11-12-2004, 04:43 PM
 
Join Date: May 2004
Ferrari Life Posts: 476
I'll post a good reply on Monday. It's the weekend and I'm not gonna look at a computer till then!
senna21 is offline  
post #6 of 36 Old 11-12-2004, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Spyder
Dude...English is by far the hardest language in the world. Not everyone is a master of it. Heck, my Grandmother spent 20+ years as a college professor teaching English and even she makes mistakes once in a while.
English is not hard for me and a LOT of people agree with me. Dutch is my first language and trust me... it's harder than English. German is pretty hard. Chinese is hard. And to make a mistake is not so bad... I know I make them too. That's why I'm human. But when you're confusing "You're" with "Your" and "their" with "there"... that's not a mistake in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Spyder
I'd bet that the majority of the English typing people here do not speak English on a daily basis; therefore, they will have trouble putting down their intended thought properly. S**t, even I, a born-n-raised American English speaker have trouble spelling sometimes.
I wasn't talking about the non-english speaking people on this forum. I was talking about the people that DO speak it daily. They make more mistakes than I do and that strikes me as odd since, after all, it *IS* your first language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Spyder
And, I could also possibly trip you up on some English phrases. I won't say for sure because I am not aware of your skills in the English language though. But I bet I could throw down a few and you would have no clue as to what they are.
Oh please do try. I'm always looking for ways to improve my english.

And I believe you're looking at this topic the wrong way. I'm merely curious. I've been to the US in 1999 and I noticed that a lot of people in New England only speak one language. If I look at Europe, most people here speak at least two languages (Like Dutch and English, German or French or something) and it is not rare that someone speaks (albeit rather poorly) even 3 or more.

It does seem that people in Florida and the states bordering Mexico seem to speak Spanish a lot... but that's just a small percentage of your population. Could it be that because Americans are not exposed to other languages like Europeans are that there is less interest in it ??

Just speculating here...
Basosz is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old 11-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz
It does seem that people in Florida and the states bordering Mexico seem to speak Spanish a lot... but that's just a small percentage of your population. Could it be that because Americans are not exposed to other languages like Europeans are that there is less interest in it ??

Just speculating here...
Correct. Most Americans do not learn another language because they can't use it everyday. Where I grew up there was little use for another language beyond English within my city. I don't think we are less interested in it.

Lastly, a forum is like a discussion so I'm guessing most people type as if they were speaking. Spoken language is never perfect (even your spoken Dutch). People interrupt you, you cut off sentences to change thought in mid sentence etc.
Andrew is offline  
post #8 of 36 Old 11-12-2004, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
Correct. Most Americans do not learn another language because they can't use it everyday. Where I grew up there was little use for another language beyond English within my city. I don't think we are less interested in it.
I can understand why my english is pretty advanced: I read it a LOT (from Star Trek books, english TV subtitles and so on) but I absolutely HATE german and I very rarely (if ever) use it even though I have german family (whom I try to avoid speaking to). But I also know a bit of french (which I also dislike) because I learned it in school. But I never use it because I don't like it. Don't americans get any foreign language in school?? Even though it may have been a few years since you learned something like chinese or whatever... it should linger at least some...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
Lastly, a forum is like a discussion so I'm guessing most people type as if they were speaking. Spoken language is never perfect (even your spoken Dutch). People interrupt you, you cut off sentences to change thought in mid sentence etc.
Well... that may be just you. I myself always try to make gramatically correct sentences on the internet. You have more time to respond to a discussion so you also have time to correct your posts. But maybe that's just me. I know I make mistakes... it is inevitable... but if you mistake "you're" for "your"... well... I think that's a big mistake. Even if it is spoken the same way. There is a huge difference in meaning there and I find myself thinking about the misinterpretations that could lead to in a discussion. The example "your-you're" may not be the best one... but I can certainly imagine that stuff like that could blow a discussion to kingdom come and then all hell will break loose. To me, a discussion is there to make sure the other side understood your arguments as well as possible and the internet is a valuable tool for that because you can edit your stuff before you post it, thus (hopefully) insuring understanding of the point I'm trying to make.

And if the discussion is in the only language that you can speak and write, this should only be easier.
Basosz is offline  
post #9 of 36 Old 11-12-2004, 11:37 PM
DJ
 
DJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Middelkerke,Belgium
Ferrari Life Posts: 300
Basosz,
me tink me English is verry good!
Just kidding, as a matter of fact I've been wondering the same thing, Basosz. I've been looking in at some other forums as well and it's suprising how much errors one finds written down in some posts, even when one can see by looking at the writer's profile, they're having English as their first language. I think it's just because so many people do not care to reread their post and edit their errors. For me, I know sometimes I make mistakes in writing while I'm at it, but hey, I'm Belgian! No excuse for that, I try to edit all errors written and reread the text I've typed. I do find it difficult from time to time, as I speak, write, read and talk Dutch, English and French and have a notion of German as well and sometimes I mix the their grammar and one influences the other.
It doesn't bother me so much, as long as I can understand what they're talking about. What I do find annoying is the kind of people that constantly use ultra-difficult words (it's like they had a dictionary for breakfast), depending on the mood that I'm in I'll try look look up the words they use, as one's never to old to learn.
Jurgen
DJ is offline  
post #10 of 36 Old 11-13-2004, 03:39 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cambridgeshire, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 770
Interesting post.

I had a very old fashioned traditional education, in which spelling and grammar were considered very important, so I tend to notice things like this too.

Having said that, I do tend to agree with Andrew - but maybe from a slightly different point of view.

I think native English speakers write more fluently, than those who write English as a second or third language - and this does lend itself to more colloquialisms and careless errors.

Many years ago I used to go out with a Norwegian girl. I used to joke with her that she spoke far more correct English than did I?? I think this was simply because she'd learnt the language in a very disciplined manner, quite unlike how we learn the language as a native. I'm sure this is why you notice errors more than we native speakers.

I work for an international company, so spend a lot of time in Germany, Holland, Czech Republic, Austria, Poland, etc. It's certainly true that out of that list, the guys from Holland are the most competent English speakers, closely followed by the Germans and Austrians. The Eastern European nations tend to struggle a little with other languages, although I'm not sure why this is. In England, and it's probably the same in America we're dreadful at learning languages - simply because English is so universal.

Also, don't confuse what most of the US guys on here speak with English - remember what they say about America and England:

"Two nations divided by a common language!!" :green:
Bazil is offline  
post #11 of 36 Old 11-13-2004, 04:24 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
not completely correct Bazil i'm affraid to say that i know a lot of dutch people, simply because i live close to the border and there are a lot of them living in my own town. and yes they still scare me (hey bob, basje & niels :lol: )
it is true that a lot of dutch people speak english pretty good, but for some reason they can't loose their typical dutch accent in any foreign language they speak. so you notice inmediattly that they are dutch. ever heard a dutchmen speak french? that's hilarious :wink: :green:
on the other hand, belgians are usually better in hidding their accent when talking in a foreign language.
and maybe we do have another view on the english language. I got english in school as a 3th language (1st flemish (dutch) & 2nd french) and even as 4th some german, not that i know that very well, i can read it though.
i know that i make a lot of spellings mistakes but somethimes i just don't notice it or i believe that i've written it correctly
Dj Dirk is offline  
post #12 of 36 Old 11-13-2004, 06:42 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cambridgeshire, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 770
Sorry Dirk - not 100% sure what you're saying I'm not correct about :-?

Also, my company doesn't operate in Belgium, so I can't compare!!!

And to be fair - you can't tell accents on a forum!! :green:
Bazil is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 11-13-2004, 07:15 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil
Sorry Dirk - not 100% sure what you're saying I'm not correct about :-?

Also, my company doesn't operate in Belgium, so I can't compare!!!

And to be fair - you can't tell accents on a forum!! :green:
i was talking about this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil
the guys from Holland are the most competent English speakers
well, tell your Boss that it's time that he expands the company's market in the direction of Belgium :wink:


hhmm, you do got me on the accents, but hey, i'm one of those guys that goes to events and meets up with other members so I do hear those accents :green:
Dj Dirk is offline  
post #14 of 36 Old 11-13-2004, 08:14 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cambridgeshire, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dirk
well, tell your Boss that it's time that he expands the company's market in the direction of Belgium :wink:
What makes you think I'm not the boss? :green:
Bazil is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old 11-13-2004, 09:19 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dirk
well, tell your Boss that it's time that he expands the company's market in the direction of Belgium :wink:
What makes you think I'm not the boss? :green:
well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil
I work for an international company
:P :lol:
Dj Dirk is offline  
post #16 of 36 Old 11-13-2004, 09:29 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Rotterdam, the Netherlands, Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 824
Please keep in mind that not everybody has the same level of education in general and in the language in particular. You can read quit a lot of spelling mistakes in Dutch papers too that have been written by Dutch natives, which I wonder you notice yourself. It is the human factor and I think you cannot judge someone on his use of language on a forum like this. It can be that somebody is typing when he is tired, when he is in a hurry etc. so that he does not check his spelling. I for one never do, and sometimes if I read my post again I indeed see some spelling mistakes. I am not bothered by it, nor am I by others who do so. If I get the general picture of the post I am satisfied enough.

It becomes a different story when the correspondence is more formal. Then a spelling mistake is quite a sin in my opinion. Even commercials that have a spelling mistake in them I cannot take serious. But that is just me. I think that in these cases the writer disregards the intellegence of me which I dislike.

On the other hand, I think that posts like this indeed show why Dutch people are seen as arrogant all over the world. If you make less spelling mistakes on a computer, does this really mean you are writing the english language better? It is a bold statement, which I see as disrespect for some other people who might be offended and do not want to post here anymore. You never know what the educational level of your audience is and that should not matter anyway!

It is the opinion and argument I am interested in on a forum and not if this is spelled on A+ level. That is the fun thing about computers and internet: you judge someone on his reaction and manner of communicating without even knowing how that person looks. I admit that spelling also gives a bit of an impressing, but claiming that you are better than someone at a particular thing I judge as being just plain arrogant.

Just my two cents,

Niels

Doomed for life with the Ferrari virus
250lm is offline  
post #17 of 36 Old 11-13-2004, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Bazil has a good point as well and that is what I meant by natives making mistakes while speaking. While in Japan for two years it was like he described. The Japanese that learned English spoke it so correct it did not sound right.

I still believe there is a major difference in written language and spoken language. When you write you have structure, opening paragraph, body, conclusion etc. But when you write in this setting you aren't writting in that manner because you don't discuss in that manner.
Andrew is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old 11-13-2004, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
I still believe there is a major difference in written language and spoken language. When you write you have structure, opening paragraph, body, conclusion etc. But when you write in this setting you aren't writting in that manner because you don't discuss in that manner.
Then obviously we are in disagreement. I tend to write as correctly as possible to avoid misinterpretations and misunderstandings. And about that whole writing with opening, body and conclusion etcetera... I concur that there is structure... but even in a place like this... typo's like "they're - their" should be avoided because they have nothing to do with structural writing for an article or something like that. It's just plain wrong. An occasional mishap I can understand. But I've noticed that those kinds of typo's tend to happen quite a lot and to me, that's not occasional anymore but structural.
Basosz is offline  
post #19 of 36 Old 11-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz
Then obviously we are in disagreement. I tend to write as correctly as possible to avoid misinterpretations and misunderstandings. And about that whole writing with opening, body and conclusion etcetera... I concur that there is structure... but even in a place like this... typo's like "they're - their" should be avoided because they have nothing to do with structural writing for an article or something like that. It's just plain wrong. An occasional mishap I can understand. But I've noticed that those kinds of typo's tend to happen quite a lot and to me, that's not occasional anymore but structural.
Typos and structure are two different things. I do agree with you that "your" and "you're" is bad form.

Writing like we speak in an informal discussion setting, ie this forum:
hummmm....I guess I would go with blah blah.

Formal writing:
Upon comptemplating the matter in detail, I would conclude blah blah.

"you're" "your" (spelling problems, lazyness....just not giving a damn...call it what you want)

Cheers
Andrew is offline  
post #20 of 36 Old 11-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Another big difference between a native speaker and non-native speaker is thought while speaking. When I speak English, I just do it and never think about any of it. When I speak Japanese or Spanish, thought has to go into it as I'm not a native of either of these languages. I believe this is true of most bi-lingualist. One way to test the mastery of your second language is can you think in it?
Andrew is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale