How to run an (US) election 101 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-31-2004, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
How to run an (US) election 101

My 2c worth as an outsider (ie not voting, not US citizen, not even in the country!):

The whole show should be organised, run, checked & paid for by an independent federal body (ie a US Federal Election Authority). All candidates & parties pay their own campaigning & advertising costs, of course, but give a separate body the funds to actually run the enrollment, voting & counting process. Get all the partisan groups out of it (on both sides of the political fence).

That's how it's done here in Oz - no-one EVER complains of irregularities in the process, as an independent body looks after it all, NOT the Government of the country (or state, etc).

As things are in the US, to us on the outside it often looks like you need to have the UN in there to monitor how each election is run. Very "Third World" guys!! :nuts:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-01-2004, 01:28 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
what i still find SO strange is that they still have to punch a whole in a paper or colour a round dot on paper, wich ever of the 2 it is
why are you still using that???? it's so old, innaqurate and you loose so much time & money with it
we vote by computer for about 10-12 years already
post #3 of 5 Old 11-01-2004, 11:29 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
The county that I'm in uses computers to vote. Anyone could do it, you just insert your 'card' they give you, then click who you want on the screen.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-01-2004, 12:33 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dirk
what i still find SO strange is that they still have to punch a whole in a paper or colour a round dot on paper, wich ever of the 2 it is
why are you still using that???? it's so old, innaqurate and you loose so much time & money with it
we vote by computer for about 10-12 years already
Each state can do it different, Florida was just bassackwards in the 2000 election. They have the touch screen computers that MrMan was referring to now.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-01-2004, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
That will probably help things, although most people feel a little uneasy about just touching a screen & walking away. Being in IT I don't blame them!!! (for example - has the network cable fallen-out of the back of the unit???) Some "receipt" or similar would be nice.

My main issue is that it appears that State-based election officials (ie Democrat in one state, Republican in another) look after the whole show, from issuing voting papers, counting & then adjudicating on any contentios issues (unless it gets to the Supreme Court).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode