I seriously can't believe that that driver survived this - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-30-2004, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
I seriously can't believe that that driver survived this

http://www.motorsportmediamulti.com/...l_Speedway.mpg

(movie file is 18mb)

On May 3, 1998.. Japanese racing star Tetsuya Ota was involved in a chain reaction collision during a GT championship race. Ota was trapped in his car for more than 50 seconds while exposed to 800-degree temperatures. There was no safety crew coming to the rescue as fellow drivers frantically extinguished the flames. The result ended with serious burns to Ota and a lawsuit against track promoters and sponsors. Agreed upon event requirements called for safety crews to rescue a driver and extinguish any fire within 30 seconds or less. Ota signed papers claiming he would not seek damages from event organizers as is typical in some venue use agreements. In a District Court ruling, the hold harmless paperwork was thrown out and Ota was awarded 90 million ($809,352) Yen. Changes in the sport now include a doctor car and some fire engines standing by for such an emergency. The court also ruled that Ota could have slowed his vehicle quicker thus a reduction from the originally requested 300 million ($2,697,841) Yen. Some suggest that if it were not for TV coverage of the fire, Ota could not have proved his case of the 50 second time lapse. TV Tokyo Corp. was held partially responsible in the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
That is awful and I was tempted to remove this post. I do not recommend watching it. I'm glad the drivers stopped to help put out the fire. I also wonder if the driver was knocked unconscience as the Porsche driver pulled himself out.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-30-2004, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

i know it's awfull, i had never heard about that crash
just look at that explosion, it's so strange, doesn't even look real but more like some movie explosion, i wonder how that could have happened.

one of the reasons why i think that the marshalls where so slow, is that they probably thought that the driver was killed inmediattly after that impact

post #4 of 11 Old 10-30-2004, 06:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
I thought the driver would be dead, but then I would still try to save the Porsche driver...
That guy in the Ferrari should be dead, nobody could have possibly survived that :-?
post #5 of 11 Old 10-30-2004, 06:37 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Bloody hell... that was amazing. I can't figure out why the whole thing went Kaploie. But Dirk... was it the Ferrari driver that was trapped for 50 seconds ?? Cos... that kinda looked unsurvivable... I mean.. WOW...

Really cool Hollywood explosion though. But I cannot fotr the life of me understand why it exploded in the first place. Race cars are designed to avoid just this sort of accidents. And those rules are in effect for a long time. And that race didn't look all that old (1998 according to Dirk's post).

Truly amazing
post #6 of 11 Old 10-31-2004, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Yes, Bas
it was the Ferrari driver that was trapped for 50 seconds

and well, a possible explenation might be that the fuel tank of the porshe sits in front right where the Ferrari slammed into it. and that the fueltank or the cell that contains it already got damaged in the 1st crash of the Porsche
post #7 of 11 Old 10-31-2004, 07:40 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dirk
Yes, Bas
it was the Ferrari driver that was trapped for 50 seconds
Massive respect for his fire resistant uniform... my dad was shocked... and he's a mechanic for cars and old so he has seen quite a lot of different accidents and he's not very squeamish about stuff like this... but this certainly got a reaction

Quote:
and well, a possible explenation might be that the fuel tank of the porshe sits in front right where the Ferrari slammed into it. and that the fueltank or the cell that contains it already got damaged in the 1st crash of the Porsche
My dad agreed. And it does sound plausible. The Porsche was definetly damaged on the front side and the ferrari smashed into the front side of the Porsche... But even then... I never imagined this possible.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-31-2004, 10:54 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
one of the reasons why i think that the marshalls where so slow, is that they probably thought that the driver was killed inmediattly after that impact
There job isn't to speculate and then react. It is to react ASAP.

Life is fragile, and this video certainly won't make me forget.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-31-2004, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

very true, they should have reacted, no matter what
post #10 of 11 Old 10-31-2004, 02:42 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
Dude, they didn;t do anything. That porsche driver climbed out himself while a marshall was estinguishing some bushes :s
post #11 of 11 Old 10-31-2004, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

well, the clip doesn't show those full 50 seconds
they must have putted the flames out, since i really don't see how that driver must have gotten out by himself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode