Photos: Apache - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-18-2004, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 454
Photos: Apache

Second flight today. Pretty good photos for a $40 USD digital camera.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-18-2004, 02:15 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
now THAT is some really neat stuff
post #3 of 16 Old 10-18-2004, 03:12 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Except that last picture, which was plain shocking (I'm in need of medical assistance now. My poor heart) that is some awesome stuff. Can you bring friends in the WSO seat ??

post #4 of 16 Old 10-18-2004, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Front seat is Co-Pilot Gunner (CPG); aft is Pilot. We learn from the pilot station first and then transition to the front. Studying my a$$ off.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-18-2004, 04:48 PM

So a Co-Pilot Gunner is about the same as a WSO (Weapons Systems Officer) on military aircraft ??
post #6 of 16 Old 10-18-2004, 08:24 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 776
Dane...now all you have to do is do a fly-by over my house! :wink:

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...
post #7 of 16 Old 10-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Dane,

You have the best job! Keep safe and best of luck. How does it compare to the Blackhawks you flew before?

Awesome.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-19-2004, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi guys,

Thanks for the nice words. This course is not easy, at least for me(!), but it is good to be flying and studying this subject matter, again.

The biggest transition for me is looking at this helicopter as a weapons system instead of a lift/utility platform as is the Blackhawk. Tandem seating is also a new one for me. I always took for granted seeing and knowing what the other pilot was doing in the Blackhawk. The Apache is totally different since we can't see eachother; yeah, I can see the CPG's head but that's about it. Good crew coordination is essential; I'm a fricking chatter box when we're flying. It's important to know what the heck the other person is doing and intends on doing.

I think the Blackhawk is just a bit smoother at higher airspeeds probably since there isn't near the parasitic drag of the Apache. The visibility in the Apache is fantastic but, according to a former Cobra pilot in my class, isn't as good as the Cobra. It is cool having a cockpit of your own.

Also, the Apache was just approved for 60 degrees up and down of pitch attitude and 120 degrees of roll attituce. That's inverted fella's. Our Instructor Pilots (IPs) have yet to demonstrate but I am looking forward to it!

It'll be about two months before we get to fire the gun and not until after Christmas until we can fire rockets. I don't believe we'll get to fire an actual Hellfire while we're here. That will be simulated. From what I hear, the 30mm is the most fun to shoot, though.

Thanks, again.

P.S. I ran into an article about the F430....What's the story on it?
post #9 of 16 Old 10-19-2004, 10:25 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
whoa, awesome Dane, man it must be sweet to be in that cocpit.
keep us posted how the course is going Dane, and also keep posting pics :wink:
post #10 of 16 Old 10-19-2004, 01:40 PM

The Apache is awesome. Kinda sucks that you won't fire real Hellfires. Those rockets are briljant. And the cannon should be great as well. I lived in Hengelo before moving to Groningen and the Nordhorn-Range (shooting and bombing practice) was pretty close by so we went there a few times to spot airplanes. I can tell you... when when you hear an A-10 fire that big 30 mm for the first time... shit just comes pouring out of your ass. I imagine the Apache's gun being sort of like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane
P.S. I ran into an article about the F430....What's the story on it?
P.S.: It sucks. It's a ferrari (sorry... couldn't resist)
post #11 of 16 Old 10-20-2004, 12:45 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

I'm guessing the IPs would be a little POed if you got photos of the Apache inverted from the cockpit? An intelligence issue? If not, I'll be waiting for those pics :green:
post #12 of 16 Old 10-21-2004, 05:09 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Awesome pics Dane! Looks like you are enjoying the new job.

I thought of you recently. My opposite at work just quit to go and become a pharmaceutical rep. I tried to talk him out of it. I was like "Look, I know a guy who got out of the Army and got a job as a pharm rep. A year later he went back into the Army to go fly combat helicopters in Iraq because it was an easier job."

He was like "Oh no, this is great. They are even going to give me a company car." I told him, "They are going to give you a $15k Ford Taurus. If all you really want is a Ford Taurus, just go out and buy one."

But despite my warnings, he quit anyway.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #13 of 16 Old 10-21-2004, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Andrew,

LOL. I'll see what I can do...Who knows? My IP would give me a shot at it; perhaps, not the first time but the next.

Pete,

Good to hear from you. I sounded like your friend did before I started pharm sales. The car, the freedom to roam, the money...The job just became boring. Same kiss a$$ crap every day and minimal exposure to MDs. My job, now, is more difficult but it's more rewarding. Plus, I don't need to decide what tie or suit to wear every day! :green: The army makes that easy....How's your work treating you? I would love to see some photos of you and your platform. Those platforms are awesome.

Thanks guys for the good words. Off to pound my head against a book. ESP just isn't working for me!

Forza,

Dane
post #14 of 16 Old 10-26-2004, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner

...a few more....
Attached Images

post #15 of 16 Old 10-26-2004, 11:34 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
If I ever get in a fight, can I call you? :lol:
post #16 of 16 Old 10-27-2004, 12:27 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Dane,

Awesome photos, keep them coming! Good luck and study hard, we are all pulling for you!

Cheers,
Andrew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode