How's Pete goin? - Ferrari Life
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 10-03-2004, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
How's Pete goin?

Has anyone heard from Pete04222 lately?

I've been wondering how he's been surviving all those Hurricanes rockin' his little rig out at sea

Pete - are you back on dry-land yet?
(Your mates at FF) :wink:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-03-2004, 05:16 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
yeah, I imagine thise hurricane are pretty scary when you are at a rig :s
post #3 of 34 Old 10-03-2004, 06:00 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Kind of depends on what rig you are I think. I heard of a Norwegian oil rig out in the Troll Fields (i'm not making up that name) that was built to last against furious storms. And the weather off the Norwegian coast can be very, very bad.

Since oil rigs are built at a specific location, the builders will probably have figured into account the weather conditions that can happen over there. I suspect he will be all right since we haven't heard from any accidents at oil rigs on the news

post #4 of 34 Old 10-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz
Kind of depends on what rig you are I think. I heard of a Norwegian oil rig out in the Troll Fields (i'm not making up that name) that was built to last against furious storms. And the weather off the Norwegian coast can be very, very bad.

Since oil rigs are built at a specific location, the builders will probably have figured into account the weather conditions that can happen over there. I suspect he will be all right since we haven't heard from any accidents at oil rigs on the news
Well considering Pete's rig moves I think he can steer clear of danger considering he is the pilot of the whole thing.

Second, I don't think there is a rig that would survive substained winds in excess of 100mph for long periods, much less 4 in a row such as the case of recent events.
post #5 of 34 Old 10-03-2004, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
Second, I don't think there is a rig that would survive substained winds in excess of 100mph for long periods, much less 4 in a row such as the case of recent events.
OK... 4 in a row does seem a bit much... but the Troll rig was definetly built for heavy storms as are experienced off the coast of Norway. Besides... that's just the rig itself. Crew quarters consists of a floating hotel that is linked by a walkway. That floating hotel is kept in place by a set of engines/propellors and from what I have heard is that the thing doesn't need to be disconnected even in high storms and winds. Quite impressive I believe.

But still... he might just as well be floating off to Costa Rica...
post #6 of 34 Old 10-14-2004, 03:22 PM

ok, still didn't see him. Starting to worry...
post #7 of 34 Old 10-14-2004, 03:53 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 476
I was just thinking about him last night before as well. As I was driving home there was a piece on NPR about the high price of oil. One of the reasons they stated was there was a lot of damage to rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. Both to the fixed platform and to the floating ones. The guy being interviewed said many were now just large pieces of metal on the ocean floor while others had been badly damaged. He said looking at them you'd think they were fine. But, he said water has a tendency to get into just about everything when it's being blown at you at 100+mph. Even the parts of the rig you seal off. And once it gets into the electronic control systems you just have to write that system off and install another.

I heard that and immediately thought of Pete. Funny how you can never even have met someone but you feel like you know them and have them fit into a small part of your life.

Pete we hope you're just busy as hell and doing well. :wink:
post #8 of 34 Old 10-14-2004, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna21
Pete we hope you're just busy as hell ...
but not as-in paddling a life-raft back to shore somewhere!

Maybe you're washed-up under a palm tree having nice native girls bringing you long cool drinks while you wait for the next issue of Forza to arrive on the beach via Coke-bottle. If so, enjoy!!

Whatever, I bet he's got lots of good stories to tell us when he's back at FF.
post #9 of 34 Old 10-14-2004, 08:54 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 895
Yeah, I really do hope hes alright.

Hope to see you back here soon, Pete!
post #10 of 34 Old 10-16-2004, 10:52 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

I sent him an email, he is doing alright, he is just very busy with the aftermath of all the storms and he has had to drive the ship 12hr strait for some time now.
post #11 of 34 Old 10-16-2004, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
I sent him an email, he is doing alright, he is just very busy with the aftermath of all the storms and he has had to drive the ship 12hr strait for some time now.
Ah, good to hear he's alright. Thanks for the update, Andrew. But wow, 12 straight hours...
post #12 of 34 Old 10-21-2004, 03:38 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Hi everyone, I'm back. Thanks for the concern. It was quite a ride. I've always hated it when the weatherman on TV proudly announces that "The storm has moved safely out to sea."

I wasn't onboard for Ivan round one, that was the biggie. I was onboard however, for Ivan round two when it reformed and headed back into the Gulf. We also had Matthew form up in the Gulf and come right at us. So we didn't drill an inch of hole the whole time I was out there. Plus we had, in addition to the hurricanes, a 4 knot current to contend with. To give you an idea of the strength of the current: Since water is denser than air, 1 knot of current has the same force on the ship as 30 knots of wind. The currents were so strong that we were not able to pull our marine riser package. So we are trying to get out of the storms path with 6,000 feet of marine riser hanging from the bottom of the rig. 72 joints of riser at 25 tons per joint. Just trying not to lose it or drag it across the bottom somewhere while its raining sideways outside. The wind was actually lifting the wipers off the bridge windows. Doesn't matter, nothing to see out there anyway. Funny thing is though, not once did we lose the satellite TV.

So yeah, Gulf of Mexico oil production was shut down for a little while. Since GOM oil is almost a third of domestic oil production, it doesn't have to be shut down long to affect prices. There were some platforms that were heavily damaged and some smaller ones capsized. Platforms, jack-up rigs and anchored rigs are completly evacuated before a storm. My company had one anchored rig that broke it's moorings during Ivan and they found it 75 miles away from location.

Self-propelled, dynamically-positioned rigs are down-manned to essential crew and evade storms. We can't break our anchors 'cause we don't have any! "Anchors are for Wankers!"

Then to add insult to injury, while I was out there my opposite went and got himself another job. So I had to remain onboard until they could find someone to fill the slot. They ended up promoting a guy off another rig to come out and relieve me. Once they got him onboard I had to stay on a few extra days to get him up to speed.

But hey, I guess that's why they pay me the medium bucks!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #13 of 34 Old 10-21-2004, 03:49 AM

Good to hear you're ok. man you got a weird job, but it sounds like fun
Must be quite an experience, aspecially when you have to do 2 shifts because one guy decides to just get another job :-?
post #14 of 34 Old 10-21-2004, 05:00 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 776
It's great to see you survived all that mess. I know you just can't wait until next hurricane season can you? :wink: (sarcasm to the extreme there buddy!)

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...
post #15 of 34 Old 10-21-2004, 04:34 PM

Wow, sounds like a wild one. Good to hear you're off your sealegs for a while. And I guess that' explains the recent spike in prices for petrol. $2.76/gallon or so here in SF. Still not as much as in Europe I'm guessing, but it's getting there.
post #16 of 34 Old 10-22-2004, 06:39 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso
And I guess that' explains the recent spike in prices for petrol. $2.76/gallon or so here in SF. Still not as much as in Europe I'm guessing, but it's getting there.
:nuts:
post #17 of 34 Old 10-22-2004, 08:06 AM

Yeah Pete... the rising oil prices are your fault !!! Work harder :wink:
post #18 of 34 Old 10-22-2004, 09:59 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

I'm probably the only one that is happy prices are going up. Since the government obviously doesn't have the guts to pass regulations for higher efficency cars and car makers are too stupid I see this as a good thing. It will force the change that is needed.
post #19 of 34 Old 10-23-2004, 04:11 AM

Bentley Continental GT is one of the most fuel efficient cars that drives around in the US.

Not that it is too vast an accomplishment... but still... pretty nice thing to know if you ever buy one
post #20 of 34 Old 10-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
If a car maker can make money selling it, they will built it. A good capitalist is not stupid. If they were, they would be broke.

By the way, where does the Hydrogen come from for the new generation of cars? It is not cheap to get it from water. It takes a great deal of energy to get it ftrom water.

8)

12 cylinders or walk
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode