First Spring Drive in the 430 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-08-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
First Spring Drive in the 430

I don't think I've driven the 430 since November so it was about time. Normally I never leave any car that long without a drive. It's been a very long winter here. I've rolled the 430 a bit back and forth in the garage to avoid flat patches. Although I had missed to pump the tyres to three kilos they were perfectly round. Modern tyres seem less sensitive to standing still. The pressure had fallen to 1,9 so I pumped them up to correct pressure. I always use my Schrader gauge cause it's the only gauge I trust to correctly measure the air pressure. I always do it at home when the tyres are cold. It's worth wile carrying a little Schrader gauge in the car cause you can't trust the gauges they normally provide at the petrol stations. When travelling, I measure the pressure at the hotel in the morning with my Schrader and just remember how much to add when at the next filling station. That way I don't have to consider increased pressure from tyre temperature.

It started right up and immediately settled to a steady idle. I gave it a minute of idling outside the garage, folding down the soft top and slowly got going down the mountain warming the engine and transmission up. The Manettino was left in "Race" since my last drive and that is where I normally keep it, or all off. In rain I almost always put it in rain mode. Even though it's been months since my last drive I immediately felt at home behind the controls. I really like this car, it's perfect for me and my needs. The steering and throttle are ultra crisp and the power is linear and plentiful. Over steering is a joy and very easy to control but it certainly consumes the rear tyres in a hurry... I must find out if the Pirelli Clan have a 25 year old daughter to provide me with rubber...?

My destination was Ascona for some misu soup and a few pieces of sashimi. Somehow it was impossible to take the obvious and shortest way there so I thoroughly enjoyed some detours. The Monte Ceneri Pass was almost empty and the car just flowed through the curves and the switchbacks. A harmonious smile had spread across my round face and I was in great spirit, still am! My number one cigar provider in Ascona had already closed but that didn't bother me much. A good walk around Ascona's car free alleys is a must before dinner and today was no exception. During the walk I popped in at a new bar for the aperitivo and chatted with some friendly locals. Whilst eating at the Japanese restaurant, all I could think about was getting back to the car and get going again. I made a few posts on FL at the restaurant, picked up the bill and strode off towards the parking lot. Spring is always welcome. You could tell people were in a good mood everywhere, eager to make the most of the season.

Well I'm back home now to enclose the only picture I took when arriving at the Ascona parking lot. It has been a drive which I have enjoyed immensely and I realise now that I needed it very much.
Attached Images

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
A very similar day her in Dublin too Capo. Spring is most certainly in the air.

However, I spent my day between 2 wheels (of the non motorised version) and a swimming pool. Not that I am complaining as it was thoroughly enjoyable, but the thought did cross my mind that it would have been a nice day for the the little GT4 to venture out (360 is off the road until April 1).

Max speed achieved today 68 kph, which I was quite pleased with considering it was on 1 horse power. I'm pretty sure I could have done better in the Dino.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 23 Old 03-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
I must find out if the Pirelli Clan have a 25 year old daughter to provide me with rubber...?
You might find her here... THE CAL 50th ANNIVERSARY

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

post #4 of 23 Old 03-08-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
You might find her here... THE CAL 50th ANNIVERSARY
Yes, please!!

Salve,
Capo

post #5 of 23 Old 03-08-2014, 02:50 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Great looking spider Capo. What is the colour name of your model?

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #6 of 23 Old 03-08-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by karakal View Post
Great looking spider Capo. What is the colour name of your model?
Thanks!

It's Grigio Nürburgring and the interior is Blu Scuro with light grey stitching. The soft top is Blu Scuro. The callipers are Grigio and so are the Challange style wheels.

Salve,
Capo

post #7 of 23 Old 03-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Nice

Nice post Capo,,car looks good, I give you fellows who live in colder climates credit . Waiting for spring seems so foreign to me lol...I must always be grateful for the all year round great weather where I live, Hope you have a great driving season,
post #8 of 23 Old 03-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Very nice right up and the perfect way to spend the day. Glad to see the 430 Spider out and about.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-08-2014, 11:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Spring has sprung here, too. My 550 hasn't been out of the garage for nearly a month, so yesterday, when the great round yellow god rose in the sky and the waters left the face of the earth for the first time in what seems like a millennium, I took her out for a spin. What joy to hear and feel that glorious V12 and to give it its head, surging forward on a wave of torque!

People love Ferraris. Two drivers waved me out of side turnings with smiles on their faces and when I called into the petrol station to fill up the tank (mortgage previously arranged!), no less than three other customers came up to me to tell me what a beautiful car I own. Makes you feel good to be alive

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #10 of 23 Old 03-09-2014, 01:45 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 204
Nice stories, enjoyed reading them.

Let the games begin!
post #11 of 23 Old 03-09-2014, 04:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 624
Capo great write up and start to the season....I hope this really is Spring here to stay. I also agree modern tyres seem to hold their integrity while sitting up more than older ones.

As Barry mentioned we too had a nice day and even though he couldn't join us due to his need to sweat, I managed to put the first 'proper' drive under the wheels of the 360 in an extended run up the mountains for an early morning breakfast.
800 horses of turn of the millennium engineering slowly ticking down.

Cheers
Michael
Attached Images

Current Fcars: 360 Modena
Gone but not forgotten: 360 Spider, 575M, F430.
Other stuff: '71 Holden GTS Monaro, '80 BMW Alpina B9, '74 Porsche Targa, Caterham, MB CL500, Land Rover Discovery.
post #12 of 23 Old 03-09-2014, 07:33 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 590
Fantastic write up, Capo! Have you decided not to sell it?

Ciao Jules

Current Italian Bellas:
95 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 1978 Fiat 124 Spider
Sometime in the Future: Red 308 GTS
post #13 of 23 Old 03-09-2014, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoVeloce View Post
Fantastic write up, Capo! Have you decided not to sell it?

Thanks!

I offered both the 430 and the 612 at low prices for a long time and didn't even get a bid!? So I have looped back to my initial idea which is growing old together with these magnificent machines.

It's crazy how good cars you can get for very little money! This is actually good since it provides opportunities for new Ferraristi. I ordered mine new to ruler spec, nothing is missing on them, nothing. My previous 612 has the same full spec and it's been sitting for sale at the dealer since I traded it in for my current 612 in 2009! Imagine the dealer's temptation to take a scandalously low bid on an already crazy low price...!

212 did the right thing in getting a fresh Scud now. He secured his classics in good time and now he's got his new Scud at less than half price. But then again, it's his job to score financially correct shots.

If I had the money now I'd get a Scud too, a keeper. In five years I'd get a Speciale, also a keeper. These are cars of our days which we can snap up at good prices after some years and still have life expectancy left to enjoy them thoroughly. If on top of that you own a classic which evokes childhood memories of what was hot back then, then life is fantastic.

Another wish of mine: If I had enough money right now, before buying a Scud, I'd get a good Dino GT. This is likely the last chance to get one of the most trendsetting, exhilarating and beautiful classics. The Dino turned a page, not only at Ferrari but at all supercar manufacturers - and it is a cracker of a sports car, my word!

To sum it up, in ten years, my dream is to add to my stable a Dino GT, a Scud, a Speciale and a 308 GTS carb. To extrapolate my dream into wild fantasy, I'd also add a 166 MM. You know what they say; to accomplish great things we must not only act, but also dream!

Anyway, I'm off for a walk around my village to cool my poor dreaming Ferrari head a bit. There's the yearly carnival going on and a fellow hunter is making the best salami in the world only for this carnival. He makes a good badge and sells it at cost, just to keep the tradition alive. My village, Brè, is known in the region for good culinary traditions. I must be off to secure my share of salami!

Salve,
Capo

post #14 of 23 Old 03-09-2014, 11:09 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Thanks!

It's Grigio Nürburgring and the interior is Blu Scuro with light grey stitching. The soft top is Blu Scuro. The callipers are Grigio and so are the Challange style wheels.
Thanks for the info. Any chance we can see an interior shot? Sounds like a great combo.

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #15 of 23 Old 03-09-2014, 12:44 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 204
Umm, sorry to interupt. I am a bit confused right now.
Im not questioning your knowledge, il Capo, but mine, so don't be ... :*

Yesterday karakal was asking about a bright silver 458, and I answered Argento Nurburgring. Now, you informed us about your F430s colour, which is Grigio Nurburgring. And grigio is grey on italian? Argento is silver (Ag).
Now that makes no sense to me to put 2 paint colours with the Nurburgring name on it, which are similar if not identical.

I may be wrong, of course, maybe Ferrari ran some limited, special paint colours like yours Grigio Nurburgring with F430. I honestly don't know and would like to know

Enough of my bragging,
Greetings from Croatia

P.S. I support karakal's proposition on you sharing some interior pictures of your lovely car. Maybe from your next date with the car
post #16 of 23 Old 03-09-2014, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Dogzy, to be honest I don't recall if it is argento or grigio but I do remember it's Nürburgring. I bought the car in 2009 and memory is not my forte.

I'll take some pics of the interior next drive!

Salve,
Capo

post #17 of 23 Old 03-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Capo, great to here you're already "excerising" again ! As you said, keep both of them, they are both specificially build for you and should be kept for you ! Enjoy it, my friend !

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #18 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 01:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Fantastic write up and evocative picture, thanks Capo! Spring is in the air!

David

Current: 365BB, 550 bluebird and a few 911's
Past: 246gt, 512BB, 308 GTB "Michalone" and a few 911's
post #19 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 575er View Post
Capo great write up and start to the season....I hope this really is Spring here to stay. I also agree modern tyres seem to hold their integrity while sitting up more than older ones.

As Barry mentioned we too had a nice day and even though he couldn't join us due to his need to sweat, I managed to put the first 'proper' drive under the wheels of the 360 in an extended run up the mountains for an early morning breakfast.
800 horses of turn of the millennium engineering slowly ticking down.

Cheers
Michael
Michael, that's a splendid looking 360! The Scud rims are nice.

Salve,
Capo

post #20 of 23 Old 03-10-2014, 09:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Michael, that's a splendid looking 360! The Scud rims are nice.
+1 First time I've seen them on a 360... Excellent looking!

I'm jealous of you guys in regards to weather... it was flurrying snowflakes this morning on the commute into the office. Sigh. It was almost starting to feel like Spring over the weekend.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode