Detailing - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-08-2004, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Detailing

Would you have any question about washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing sealing, protecting and maintaining the Ferrari look?
I'll be glad to provide you with the information to maintain the showroom loking condition of your vehicle at the same time I will share with you the knowledge and experience to protect and enhance the looks of your car with the five step program most widely use by the pro's.
I'm A former employee of Ferrari of Los Gatos, with more than 14 years of detailing experience!

ask me a question??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-08-2004, 11:37 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 613
Hi welcome!

This might be an interresting tread! How to keep your car clean...

...I do not have a Ferrari (yet), but I still desire to keep my car clean. It doesn't work with me, but that's different story :lol:! The bugs keep sticking on my bumper...
post #3 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 09:27 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
leather conditioning question

prodetailtech,
welcome aboard, I have a question for you. What is the best way to keep leather conditioned on the interior while keeping the colored stitching clean and bright? I have a 360 with black leather and yellow stitching, and cant figure out how to condition the leather while not distorting the beautiful yellow stitching. Also what is the best leather conditioner to use to keep leather factory fresh.

Thanx,
Marknkidz

post #4 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I have a question, I've got all these little micro-scratches in the paint. Of course the only person that notices them is me, but they drive me crazy and I've tried every trick, tip and magic snake oil out there. Advice?

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #5 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Marcos: there is no way to keep those bugs sticking in front of your bumper!!!
have you try to slow down!!! and wash your vehicle more frecuently, that will prevent that the insects dry in the metal/plastic/paint and cause the acids etch into the finishings, good luck!
post #6 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

marknkidz:
you will need a sturdy tooth brush, cotton tips, leather cleaner (ph balanced), leather conditioner, soft cotton towels and lots of patience!!!
1-clean the whole seat with leather cleaner (ph Balanced, very important!)
2- with the tooth brush and soft pressure go all around the stiches, follow with cooton towel.
3- apply leather conditioner, let it sit for about 10:00 min
4-rub it off the excess with cotton towel to bring some luster up, use the cotton tips to clean around and top of the stiches.

use the same procedure at least once a month, and have the leather intirior finishings detailed twice a year. good luck!
post #7 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

pete04222: Best bet is to let a professional in the field to inspect the condition of the finishing, and if you feel comfortable with the detailer/shop be ready to have a dent on your pocket!
to do it yourself, it will take you a full weekend to have those micro scratches out of your sight, please be more specific, let me know what kind of power tools and brand of chemicals are you using, also is important to know when was the last time a detail was performed in this particular vehicle. Good luck!!
post #8 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 04:11 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 218
what do you recommend for just a basic washing of a car
post #9 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
prodetailtech, you're the man that we've been waiting for. Welcome.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale
prodetailtech, you're the man that we've been waiting for. Welcome.
Agreed! Thanks for stopping by and chatting with us. I'm sure we can all have some fun and learn alot.

Capt. Pete
post #11 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodetailtech
pete04222: Best bet is to let a professional in the field to inspect the condition of the finishing, and if you feel comfortable with the detailer/shop be ready to have a dent on your pocket!
to do it yourself, it will take you a full weekend to have those micro scratches out of your sight, please be more specific, let me know what kind of power tools and brand of chemicals are you using, also is important to know when was the last time a detail was performed in this particular vehicle. Good luck!!
Jose,
Thanks for your reply. Since I have owned the car (2.5 years), it has only been "detailed" by me. Meaning it is just as clean and shiney as I can get it. The car was resprayed an unknown number of years before I got the car and that respray wasn't "quite right" if you know what I mean. If you look close there is even some orange peel on the passenger side door. In 3 more years I am planning on doing an engine-out overhaul (timing belts, valves, clutch, etc.) and at that time I will have the car resprayed by a shop that knows Ferraris. I know this will run into some serious coin to get a correct paint job so I have already started putting away for that. So, you can see that I don't really want to spend a whole lot of coin on a professional detail at this point either. I am hoping to keep the finish up myself until it can be re-finished.

Check out this post: http://www.ferrariforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2926
This is from June when I "detailed" the car using Mother's California Gold system. It provides more info on the shape of my car and there is a picture a few replys from the begining.

Capt. Pete
post #12 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Botto: Thanks for the question!!!
Here is the first step that you can take to prolong the gloss in your car and to minimize visits/calls to the detailer/shop. Assuming that your vehicle has just been detailed. and you want to wash it yourself
1- NEVER EVER wash your car under direct sun light
2- pre-hose your car (soft water is prefered) completly to loose dirt and some other contaminants
3- work one section at the time from top to bottom, make sure you are using CAR WASH SOAP solution specially formulated to do the trick. DO NOT LET IT DRY ON ANY SURFACE. use a clean chomois to spread the solution and make sure you keep the car's surface cool to the touch of your hand.
4- if you have acces to compressed air or a air blow dryer please use them
5- to do the final dry off use micro fiber towels
6- to finish I will recommend to aplly a very light coat of carnuba wax or any othe product that can help you enhance the luster (don't kill yourself here it should be a very light coat of wax)
Good luck!!!
post #13 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

pete04222: I went to check your referal post and I found some point that I would like to address.
1- the use of clay bar- is for cleaning pourposes only!!! and if you had used it more than twice is already old!!!!
2- mother's line (or any othe line of products) is designed to help you maintain your car at it's best exclusively for a short period of time (they don't want any liability and they want you to keep buying from them!!!) also some of these products will only COVER imperfection on the paint,
not even dealership will have the chemicals to help you out.
but try to get rubbing coumpound, polishig compound, glaze and wax, apply them in that order with your orbital buffer and change the cotton bonette when using different chemical, you will see and feel the difference!!! Good luck!
post #14 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 08:27 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 895
Well, welcome to the forum, Jose. Great to have someone like you here now!
post #15 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Thanks, and BTW, I checked out your website. Very Nice!! Attractive, thorough and professional!! Great site!

Capt. Pete
post #16 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 11:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodetailtech
have you try to slow down!!! and wash your vehicle more frecuently...
:lol: Slow down? :-?

and yes I confess, It needs more washing...
...but I can't park in front of my house so I can only use buckets filled with water, there's no fun walking two streets with buckets and stuff. And I don't want to take a carwash...
post #17 of 17 Old 06-08-2008, 04:02 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 36
Don't forget the two-bucket method to reduce the chance of introducing swirls and scratches into the paint. The first bucket is the rinse bucket, with just water. The second bucket is the one filled with water and car wash solution. I like to use two wash mitts as well. One for the top portion of the car, and the other for the bottom portion of the car. I like to wash the rear of the vehicle last because that is usually the dirtiest part of a vehicle. Wheels first, then wash top to bottom.

Ciro
Please feel free to pm me for info on how to better care for your vehicle or to set-up an appointment to have our car detailing services performed on your vehicle to a level beyond anything you can imagine.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode