Viper GTS - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-04-2004, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 26
Viper GTS

enzogto250, you inquired about the GTS. The car is a 97 Blue with White stripes. Here is the list of mods : ported heads, bigger cam, borla cat back, straight pipes, belanger headers, K&N intake, RPS clutch, aluminum flywheel, 3.55 gears, Forgeline 18" wheels, stainless steel brake lines, rear calipers with pistons bored out to 40mm (gives much better brake balance, Vipers lock the fronts very easily). I have beaten 750's(bikes) from a roll in this thing. I have not tracked it yet but with a reasonable start should run 10's in the 130's. The car sounds absolutely vicious at idle and demonic at full throttle :green: . My next mod will be a supercharger which on other cars with the same setup as mine has put out over 1000 HP and about the same in torque. At this level, the usability on the street is greatly diminished therefore I will keep it as is at least for a little while. :wink:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-05-2004, 03:45 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Wow! That is impressive!

Looking at your list of cars I'm guessing you got the Acura so that you'd have at least 1 car that gets over 20mpg? :green: :green:

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 16 Old 09-05-2004, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Actually, I got 22-23 mpg in the Viper driving the car back from Springfield, MO after I first bought it. Yeah, I was really suprised, avg speed ~ 80 mph. The actual realistic figure is around 8-10 mpg around town especially will a heavy right foot. :green:

post #4 of 16 Old 09-05-2004, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

BTW the work on the car was done at Woodhouse Dodge, a very well respected dealer/tuner in Nebraska. Hennesey has ripped of many a Viper Club of America member. He has a very bad reputation amongst most Viper owners. His notoriety is in his magazine connections and PR. There are many better and more customer friendly tuners out there. Just beware of HPE, he is branching out into modifying Lambos, MB, Porsches along with a few others. I would never send any of my cars to him let alone a Lambo. :nuts:
post #5 of 16 Old 09-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Yeah, my 308 gets about 15 mpg with conservative driving; 7 if you get into it. I'm about half and half so I average 11-12 mpg.

Other cars:
The Jeep gets about 15 mpg
The Cummins Ram 2500 gets 20 mpg
The Mercedes E300TD gets 35 mpg
The Commando I just use for snow plowing and I fill up twice a year.

Capt. Pete
post #6 of 16 Old 09-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Awesome, thanks for sharing the details on the Viper. You have a beast of a car.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-05-2004, 01:11 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 900
Nice snake.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-05-2004, 03:24 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 895
Sounds like a fierce machine!
post #9 of 16 Old 09-09-2004, 06:46 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 322
Is it true about the Viper has horible handling. I heard it handles awful at high speeds. I don't like the car because it is ugly(to me) and it has power(A LOT of it) but that makes it more likely of falling apart after a short time.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-10-2004, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo_Ferrari
Is it true about the Viper has horible handling. I heard it handles awful at high speeds. I don't like the car because it is ugly(to me) and it has power(A LOT of it) but that makes it more likely of falling apart after a short time.

The Viper is not as user friendly as other exotics but for those who can really drive well, it offers many rewards. Lightly modified GTSs have won ALMS and SCCA titles for years against Porsches, Ferraris and Vettes on the circuits. As far as it falling apart after a short time, I know of many Viper owners who use their cars as daily drivers have upwards of 80-90k on the original motor. It requires minimal performance when compared to a Ferrari and the best thing is that fact that you can work on the car without special tools or pulling the motor for most jobs. It is similar to working on an old 60's muscle car. As far as it being ugly, that is purely subjective. I will tell you that if I pulled into a Hooters with my GTS vs my Modena, the Hooters girls would flock around the Viper. It does appeal more to the general public since it an easily recognized American icon.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-10-2004, 09:06 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 476
I think the GTS is one of the best looking cars of all time. I also think it might well be the perfect GT car. You can put a lot of luggage in that hatch and drive it just about anywhere without a worry of getting stranded.

As far handling is concerned the GTS holds one of the highest G ratings of any car made. I've also been told it's rock solid at any speed above 100mph.

I'd take one in a heartbeat.

The only thing I don't like about it, the interior. It reminds me of my old Datsun 240Z. Which I loved! But, I think the new interior is much better. But, I haven't sat in one so, I'm just kinda talking out my ass...

Here's one at LeMans. Which they won (in class) multiple times.
Attached Images

post #12 of 16 Old 09-10-2004, 11:15 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
it's still a cery cool race car, it's still used very oftern in racing series here in Europe like the FIA-GT & BelCar
i preffer this car over the new racing Viper of wich we already have one racing here also in belgium & holland
Attached Images

post #13 of 16 Old 09-10-2004, 12:20 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 476
Do you have any pics of that new Viper?
post #14 of 16 Old 09-10-2004, 12:39 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna21
Do you have any pics of that new Viper?
Do you even need to ask? :P :green:
Attached Images

post #15 of 16 Old 09-10-2004, 03:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 322
Well maybe it does get recognized but I don't go by who like my car but by how I like my car. Thats what I hate about people and cars. They buy it because the way people will look at them. I like Ferrari's because I like them, not because people will look at me.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo_Ferrari
Well maybe it does get recognized but I don't go by who like my car but by how I like my car. Thats what I hate about people and cars. They buy it because the way people will look at them. I like Ferrari's because I like them, not because people will look at me.
Well it sounds to me like our ERDOC has the Viper for the performance and the Ferrari because he likes Ferraris. I think he is getting more bang for the buck with the Viper and has the Ferrari because of passion for the brand.

Ford now makes pickup trucks that will smoke my Ferrari and here's a guy with a car that can beat motorcycles! Wow, I'm impressed!

Capt. Pete

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode