Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Impressive, if the specs can be believed. I can't help but wonder just how long the engine will run before an overhaul is needed. If the HP and torque figures are true, boost must be 'considerable' and then some...

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #3 of 6 Old 01-30-2014, 09:57 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Dabid- Seems like the original turbo F1 cars were getting 1000 hp from 1.5 liters, so it just depends on how much air and fuel you want to cram in there and how long the engine has to last. The first compromises the second unless you build a really stout engine.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
No disagreement...
It still begs the question how long will she last?

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]m

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #5 of 6 Old 01-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
400 hp

After watching the video, seems to me like its a good fit for the experimental car its powering, I dont think it would do any good in anything else....Brett
post #6 of 6 Old 01-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
I have a snowmobile with a 1000cc turbocharged 290 hp four cyl engine which runs hard on pump petrol season after season. I have another one with a three cylinder 270 hp engine and it is also bullet proof. If the base design is up for it there is no problem. I have friends up in Lapland who ride their turbo sleighs all season long without a single problem and you can imagine the thermic tension on cold starts in Lapland plus the constant need for full power in the snow. These engines get full load next to all of the time except during warmup, yet they hold up. Yamaha have even granted a warranty on these out-house turbo kits.

Modern days' advanced digital fuel and ignition management is a huge contributor to the reliability. Other factors are: Advanced engine design with good control on bearing stress and temperature, advanced metallurgy, advanced lubricant technology and cooling technology.

When that Nissan engine eventually does wear out, it's a cheap job to overhaul such a little three pot. Being used for racing it will obviously be overhauled quite regularly but not because it necessarily needs it but to avoid unnecessary risks.

A high tech motorcycle engine easily takes the stress from 300 hp provided you increase the cooling capacity of oil and water. The engine is exquisitely designed and due to high production volumes, the entire motorcycle costs only a little more than 10.000 dollars. An engine overhaul is dirt cheap if you compare with a Ferrari engine. The technology to build cheap, reliable ultra powerful engines is here. Ask for the price of a piston on a sports motorcycle and for that of a Ferrari and I wouldn't be surprised if the Ferrari piston costs ten times more. Both pistons are for ultra performance and they both likely come from Mahle yet the prices are, as we know, very different due to volumes and brand markup.

Another example is the first RUF Yellowbird, it's a demo car at RUF and after all these years of motor journalists spanking it around, high speed tests, etc, it is still running like a champ. I believe I read that they took the engine apart a while ago to study the wear and it was marginal so they put it back together to learn more about each component's life expectancy.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

Last edited by il Capolino; 02-01-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode