RenaultTwizy - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
RenaultTwizy

I think it's a nice micro commuter. If I get an electric vehicle it will either be a two-wheeler or the Twizy. In Lugano you get the best parking spots for free if you drive a micro electric car and you get free charging while you park. That is quite a treat for your city errands. The problem is you need to rent the batteries from Renault so you really need to use it daily. For me that's a turnoff.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 04:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Personally for a city commuter I think 2 wheels is best. The problem with anything 4 wheeled (regardless of availability of parking) is the length of time it takes to get from A to B. a motorbike will always get you there in a fraction of a time and parking will generally be within 100 metres of the final destination.

Provided load capacity, weather and the need to talk as you commute aren't considerations you can't beat a bike. Unfortunately for me all 3 are significant issues and so my days on 2 wheels are all but over.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Two wheels are definitely swift but like you say, carrying capacity and also winter climate make it difficult.

It may well be time now to be seen in an electric car occasionally when going to town. The green pressure is growing and for strict within-city errands it is clearly not a bad idea to pollute less. Outside of city limits I will gladly continue driving my classics but I'm considering the "E" option in town for ecological reasons and for general public acceptance. If people see you making an effort for the environment they find less reasons for envy when they see you riding in the nice cars. Times are changing.

Salve,
Capo

post #4 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Times are changing.
Capo is changing

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #5 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Capo is changing
Maybe so but probably not by much. After my first test drive in an electric car you probably will see me running back to my 430 for comfort.

I believe it's good to burn much petrol but perhaps burn less right in the middle of the city on a calm day. Burning very little petrol will not speed up political decisions but a high consumption will. It's a controversy based on very little faith in politicians which I think is sound. Political leaders are not like business leaders. Political leaders don't take tough decisions until it is politically safe to do so for maintaining power, i.e. too late. A successful business leader does the contrary.

Salve,
Capo

post #6 of 12 Old 01-26-2014, 12:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
You can go electric without losing performance / handling and if you only drive it in town the crummy range would not matter. And if you look at it very quickly, you could even think it is a Ferrari
Attached Images

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #7 of 12 Old 01-26-2014, 12:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Maybe so but probably not by much. After my first test drive in an electric car you probably will see me running back to my 430 for comfort.

I believe it's good to burn much petrol but perhaps burn less right in the middle of the city on a calm day. Burning very little petrol will not speed up political decisions but a high consumption will. It's a controversy based on very little faith in politicians which I think is sound. Political leaders are not like business leaders. Political leaders don't take tough decisions until it is politically safe to do so for maintaining power, i.e. too late. A successful business leader does the contrary.

Drove the latest Tesla 3 weeks ago. I was impressed, honestly. Build Quality was soso. But driving and power (600 NM)was very impressive.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #8 of 12 Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Drove the latest Tesla 3 weeks ago. I was impressed, honestly. Build Quality was so so. But driving and power (600 NM)was very impressive.
I have to say that in principle they are a very attractive proposition, were it not for two things - range and price. There is still some way to go before the technology puts electric cars on a par with petrol. Today if you stick with petrol you can have a Tesla for a third of the price with twice the range - it's called a Lotus Elise.
Attached Images

Best wishes, John
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #9 of 12 Old 01-26-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
I have to say that in principle they are a very attractive proposition, were it not for two things - range and price. There is still some way to go before the technology puts electric cars on a par with petrol. Today if you stick with petrol you can have a Tesla for a third of the price with twice the range - it's called a Lotus Elise.
True!

That's why I'm only interested in something which is only suited for inner city scooting, something very simple like the Twizy. Outside of city limits I'm all for fossil fuel.

Salve,
Capo

post #10 of 12 Old 01-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Owner

Quote:
True!

That's why I'm only interested in something which is only suited for inner city scooting, something very simple like the Twizy. Outside of city limits I'm all for fossil fuel.
Or you could wait a couple of years for this...
Yamaha reveals Gordon Murray city car | Autocar

post #11 of 12 Old 01-26-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Very interesting, it will be 100 kg lighter than the Smart and narrower. There will also be a Yamaha three pot 1000cc version. Imagine a turbo charger on that engine, a huge silencer and then you put on the "E" stickers from the electrical version and your are all of a sudden Eco AND fast! Nobody will know there's a petrol engine under the bonnet.

Salve,
Capo

post #12 of 12 Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 AM
Owner

Quote:
Cool!

Best wishes, John

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode