458 Challenge or GT3 experience? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 281
458 Challenge or GT3 experience?

Much as the title says - I'm interested in hearing driving thoughts / observations / tips from anyone who's driven the 458 Challenge, Challenge EVO, or GT3 cars at speed? We're going to be driving both at PBIR in early February and I would like to be as prepared as possible. To date the only car in that performance class I've driven is our 599XX EVO...

Cheers, Ben ( Too many toys, not enough garage space! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 03:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
There is a FerrariLifer who has raced the 458 Challenge for a season. He never visits anymore, but you can try reaching him through Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/marc.rooker

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #3 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 04:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by treynor View Post
Much as the title says - I'm interested in hearing driving thoughts / observations / tips from anyone who's driven the 458 Challenge, Challenge EVO, or GT3 cars at speed? We're going to be driving both at PBIR in early February and I would like to be as prepared as possible. To date the only car in that performance class I've driven is our 599XX EVO...
I am sure you have all the race gear hans etc.

Don't get in one without it - also a cool suit and air to the helmet adds a lot of comfort.

They are fast but also easy to drive. I would find some you tube video with a 458 and turn your hands with the car to learn the track you are attending.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey

post #4 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,340
watch/read these (mostly subtitled), they give a great impression of the driving characteristics of the 458 GT2 car. the others will be lower performance versions of this.

Martin Lanting - YouTube

everything I've heard is that the 458 is a remarkably easy car to drive quickly-hence it's popularity.

what is your goal? is this a one time S&G's sort of deal or are you looking for a track toy, something to go racing with, something to "grow" into, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Chas, you sir, are a genius.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
watch/read these (mostly subtitled), they give a great impression of the driving characteristics of the 458 GT2 car. the others will be lower performance versions of this.

Martin Lanting - YouTube

everything I've heard is that the 458 is a remarkably easy car to drive quickly-hence it's popularity.

what is your goal? is this a one time S&G's sort of deal or are you looking for a track toy, something to go racing with, something to "grow" into, etc?
Heh. Yup, I know Martin well from the Corse Clienti sessions. Nice, personable fellow, and a very quick driver. He was one of the people who suggested going the Challenge/GT3 route.

The goal is straightforward - continue our track learning curve when we're not driving the 599XX. We discovered after the first season of Corse Clienti that coming back to driving a fast street car like the 458 or 12C at the track after being in a proper GT car (a) was a big adjustment -- lots of power, no grip, hard to hold yourself in the seat in corners! and (b) was nerve-wracking without the safety equipment & roll cage. Point (b) was cemented when a friend of mine injured himself at Laguna Seca (lost brakes coming into the corkscrew) due to insufficient safety gear during the same track session where I was running 1:39s. So, we decided to get a proper race car for our track days. Now it's just a question of which one...

post #6 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 11:56 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Heh. Yup, I know Martin well from the Corse Clienti sessions. Nice, personable fellow, and a very quick driver. He was one of the people who suggested going the Challenge/GT3 route.

The goal is straightforward - continue our track learning curve when we're not driving the 599XX. We discovered after the first season of Corse Clienti that coming back to driving a fast street car like the 458 or 12C at the track after being in a proper GT car (a) was a big adjustment -- lots of power, no grip, hard to hold yourself in the seat in corners! and (b) was nerve-wracking without the safety equipment & roll cage. Point (b) was cemented when a friend of mine injured himself at Laguna Seca (lost brakes coming into the corkscrew) due to insufficient safety gear during the same track session where I was running 1:39s. So, we decided to get a proper race car for our track days. Now it's just a question of which one...
ha! funny how things come full circle Martin seems like a great guy to spend a weekend at the track with.

if your goal is fast, safe track day car, 458 Challenge (or EVO) should be more than enough. very few GT cars at a track day will be faster, if any. and it will be a great platform for honing your skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Chas, you sir, are a genius.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Owner

Quote:

You should consider CCR - 355 360 430 Challenge Cars.

6 -7 races a year only downside is they are mostly east coast events aside from COTA and Houston.

I would consider a Mclaren Sprint if there was factory support with a series.

1:39 is screaming track car vs street.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #8 of 11 Old 01-15-2014, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner

The McLaren's also in the running, but Ferrari is my favorite thus far - the car has many more years of development, and much more ubiquitous support around the USA.

We'll be running both cars at PBIR on 8 February, apparently the same day as a local Ferrari club will be running at the track. Should be a fun day

post #9 of 11 Old 02-05-2014, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

...an update. The PBIR event was postponed to March at either Infineon or Laguna. We ran out of patience and bought a '14 458 Challenge EVO. It's dangerous having a wife who's as much of a car nut as you are!

post #10 of 11 Old 02-06-2014, 04:40 AM
Owner

Quote:
...an update. The PBIR event was postponed to March at either Infineon or Laguna. We ran out of patience and bought a '14 458 Challenge EVO. It's dangerous having a wife who's as much of a car nut as you are!
Pics man pics!

Congrats you will have a blast.

Headed to COTA with MVP this weekend - it's a good group to get some track time in.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #11 of 11 Old 02-06-2014, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Delivery will be at the challenge races at Infineon in April. Perhaps I will see some of you there?

Enjoy COTA!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode