Speed difference between GT cars and F1 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-06-2014, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Speed difference between GT cars and F1

fascinating. I guess everyone recognizes the venue?

Speed Comparison: GT vs. F1 racing cars. [VIDEO]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
fascinating. I guess everyone recognizes the venue?

Speed Comparison: GT vs. F1 racing cars. [VIDEO]
Impressive!

That was Spa wasn't it?

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Impressive!

That was Spa wasn't it?
Correct. Going towards and through Eau Rouge. Magical series of corners!

post #4 of 10 Old 01-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Note the completely different line taken by those who really know what they are doing, too. The GT drivers hug the right side on the entrance, making for a much bigger change in direction. The F1 cars are right down the center of the entrance, making for a much straighter passage through the corner. Helped by the fact they have a bit more grip, too. I understand that corner is taken nearly flat in an F1 car.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-06-2014, 01:17 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
Thanks wepet! amazing..
post #6 of 10 Old 01-07-2014, 12:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Fascinating!

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #7 of 10 Old 01-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 355
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Impressive!

That was Spa wasn't it?
Indeed, and I have driven that exact piece of pavement in a rented Taurus Wagon. You have to do what you have to do.

Not sure I would qualify the cars on the left as "real" GT cars...it would be fun to see a comparison between ALMS cars and the F1 cars going through there...
post #8 of 10 Old 01-10-2014, 03:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Note the completely different line taken by those who really know what they are doing, too. The GT drivers hug the right side on the entrance, making for a much bigger change in direction. The F1 cars are right down the center of the entrance, making for a much straighter passage through the corner. Helped by the fact they have a bit more grip, too. I understand that corner is taken nearly flat in an F1 car.
You are correct that most people stay too far right for too long, Terry. But there is also a different line because of the mechanical grip differences. Because you don't have the grip in a regular car, you can't take the same line as an F1 car. The straight leading up to Eau Rouge is downhill and fairly long. In the 458 I hit almost 220 km/h going into Eau Rouge. I stay out a bit further to the right than the F1's initially. This allows me to steer left first and then brake in a straight line going into the corner. I almost clip the rumble strip on the left as I brake fairly hard and lift. I then roll up the hill at about 160km/h clipping the right apex of Eau Rouge. The biggest mistake most people make is staying outside after that point. You can NOT see the apex of Raidillon, it is over the crest of the hill. However, you still have to trust it is there and just nail it. I usually gain about 15 - 20km/h on people ahead of me there. Also - if you stay outside, you run a real risk of not making Raidillon (as Alonso did in the last GP). The armco is fairly close there, you do NOT want to go off there!!

Still, it is a very difficult section and I don't think I've gotten it the same way twice so far. The balance between throttle, brake, changing camber of track, downslope, upslope, it all combines to something that is very difficult to get right. Mind you, I don't have that much experience, just 3 trackdays there so far. And I didn't change my tyre pressures, bad mistake.

Very exciting track, and your heart beats a little faster when you approach Eau Rouge, no doubt about it!!

BTW - the very first time I was at Spa was for F1 practice in 1997. We had just gotten our tickets and were making our way through the trees, when we stumbled onto Eau Rouge. The first thing I saw was an F1 car going up that hill. I will never forget that, you can't believe how steep it is and how fast that thing flies up there. And the sound!!

BTW2 - this also shows how different F1 Ferrari clients drive the cars of their heroes. The way they went up the hill during the Modena Motorsport trackdays last July was rather pedestrian.... They took about 40s a lap longer than the big boys. Mind you - the G forces are severe in that section and you probably need proper training to do even 1 lap at a good pace.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC

Last edited by JazzyO; 01-10-2014 at 03:53 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Wow, Onno!

You know your stuff. Very interesting to follow your talking that Spa section through with all it's technicalities and thrills. I felt my pulse rise reading it... - Is that normal?

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Onno- That is one of the most famous and fun corners in all of F1. Lucky you have been able to drive your 458 at Spa and see what it is like for real. Most of us will never have that chance.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode