Hollywood and violence - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-06-2004, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Hollywood and violence

OK I'm not a movie critic and I don't know why the two topics back to back about movies but lets continue.

I'm watching LA Confidential and in one scene the "alleged criminal" is running from the police and clearly is not armed. Guy Pierece the police runs and shots him in cold blood with a shotgun from at best 2 feet. It is a joke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-06-2004, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Lets make this a broader discussion. I'm not a hardcore movie buff so I can't recall lots of old films. I of course have seen the classics, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, etc.

So making this broader. Is violence a thing of modern film and does it go beyond just Hollywood and American films?
post #3 of 10 Old 07-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
I hate to say this but voilence is part of life. It may not be fair but it is!

Hollywood is but a place of dreams.

:nuts:

12 cylinders or walk

post #4 of 10 Old 07-06-2004, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
Hollywood is but a place of dreams.
LOL Not to step on anyones foot but I would say this:

Hollywood is but a place of false hope and phony mask.

Bart,

I believe you've traveled overseas but I'm not sure to what extent. Violence is much more prevalent in our culture than others, and thats a fact.

Now I'm starting to do something I didn't want to and that is compare. I still firmly believe TV and movies in the U.S. have come to a pretty low level and with a high % rate of trash. Examples: The Man Show, most any MTV show, South Park, etc. Does this have an effect? Of course. Over half our population now believes it is morally OK to have a child out of wedlock and teenage birth is at an all time high, homocide, children killing children (Bazil at any point chime in about being a young nation wtih social problems).

All this violence is a combination of things and ALL are at fault. Parents and the people producing the shows as well as the companies financing the shows thorough advertising. It is time we start putting our foot down and saying, "OK that is going too far." Why is everything acceptable these days?
post #5 of 10 Old 07-07-2004, 08:28 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
I believe the answer to the question of why everything is okay these days has to do with the philosophy of moral equivalence that is rampant today.

Nobody is able to say that one thing or way of life is wrong. That is why I believe that people think it is okay to have children out of wedlock or premartial sex, etc.

As for the violence in the entertainment industry I think that is has gotten much more graphic over the years but, I think that has more to do with the technology of today than changing values (except for sex and rape).

I personally think that the country will start to swing back from all of the voilence and become more reserved than it currently is.

My $ .02
post #6 of 10 Old 07-07-2004, 09:06 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 218
Yes, the trash our children see is disgusting, we need to clean up our world

http://www.azionecattolica.it/
post #7 of 10 Old 07-07-2004, 09:36 AM
DJ

Ferrari Life Posts: 300
Guys,
I've got five kids and I'll bet they've seen a mega lot of kills,violence and sex(on TV that is) . You can't get TV banned from their lifes, I just try to teach them that all one sees on TV isn't real, altough with the new serial killer in Belgium/France it makes me wonder.
Can't tell them to follow the yellow brick road to a happier place, they're not so stupid!
DJ
post #8 of 10 Old 07-07-2004, 08:42 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 55
i think we need better enforcement of policies and standards that are made. and more violence in movies battle royale (japanese movie) was great

DJ you sound liek a good parent! most parents dont explain that to thier kids and let the tv educate them. and people wonder why america is screwed up these days
post #9 of 10 Old 07-07-2004, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

I was once watching an interview with John Wooden (a famous American sports coach for those that don't know). The reporter asked what his secret was to winning. His answer was one word: moderation. You know what, he was right.

I don't believe that EVERYTHING IS OK, that is just nuts. Well Judge I want to live the life of a killer who are you to judge my lifestyle. Sorry life doesn't work that way and never has. I could write a book about this as it is rooted in both the secular and non-secular world. There is a line in the world and since the dawn of man philosophers have tried to figure out what that line is as it is believed to be perfect/happiness etc.

I believe John Wooden has the answer. One step to the left or right of that line is best because it is moderation. A football field to the left or right of that line is insane. Lets abolish all cars tomorrow because they pollute. No that is a football field away, instead lets ban SUVs and start investing in new safer and better forms of energy and make it a goal to be oil free in 10 years and so on and so forth.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-08-2004, 04:49 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
I think that moderation and sound parenting are key.

As far as TV being fake and that is enough to keep from effecting people I am not sure I believe it.

For a long time now people have been saying that art is important and has positive benefits on people lives (that is why my tax dollars go to the national endowment for the arts which is another thread). But, I wonder that if that is true that art can effect people in positve ways a stir emotion can't it do the opposite as well (ie TV and movies).

Just a thought.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode