Movies-- Are computers over-used in film today? - Ferrari Life
View Poll Results: Has CG (computer effects) in movies gone over-board?
Yes 2 100.00%
No 0 0%
Don't Care 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-05-2004, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Movies-- Are computers over-used in film today?

I just say a preview for Spiderman 2 and it looked awful. Neither of the characters looked real which made me think maybe film makers need to turn the dial back to days like the original Star Wars where make-up, costumes and talent was used more. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-06-2004, 04:15 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 55
me personally, I like the real actors or puppets like in the original star wars. all this computer works, like you said it doesnt look all that real. but if they want to do have the stuff that they want to. like in spiderman 2, computers are the only way. at least it wasnt as bad as blade 2. i thought matrix 3 had good computer effects, way ebtter than matrix 2.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-06-2004, 07:35 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
The most important thing is to know when not to use the computer. You can make great shots with the comp, and really add something to the movie, but you can overdo it

post #4 of 6 Old 07-06-2004, 09:54 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 476
I haven't seen Spider Man 2 but, don't forget it is a commic book. The director might have been going for more of a comic book feel than "real world". Comics are very hard to translate into film. They've been created in a different medium and have large followings. You have to honor that medium in some way. Either visually or story line.

Personally I think CG is over used. It should be used to aid in the story telling rather than be the center of it.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-06-2004, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I agree with everyone and I voted yes.

Charles,

Great point on the genre of the movie. I haven't seen Spiderman 2 but will soon as I liked the first one. But the preview where he is fighting Dr. Octopus on the truck looks horrible and very computerish. Here is the problem I see in that, you mix real acting and then CG and it looks strange in that scene. If the movie is ALL CG (Pixar, Shrek) then no problem it all fits. I think Ang Lee did a brilliant job on Hulk and had some of the most clever frame transitions I've ever seen, and those very much gave it a comic feel but his CG looked real.

X-Men is another example. I don't know how they did it is hard to see the CG there (ie it looks as real as the real actors).
post #6 of 6 Old 07-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
Yes, but only in some quarters. There will always be crappy movies with no plot and too much special effects (did anyone say Indepenence Day?).

If it can genuinely add to a movie then I'm all for it - you gotta admit that Terminator 2 would have been a much lesser film without those effects in place. I can't see any point however in using CG characters instead of people in a non-animated film. :nuts:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode