Finally bought myself a Nikon D70 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-04-2004, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
Finally bought myself a Nikon D70

Was contemplating getting the Canon SLR digital EOS10D or the EOSD30 but then decided to look at the Nikon since I had some old lens. Found out that the old "manual" lens are not compatible with the digital camera. Nevertheless from Dirk's comments that he preferred Nikon I had a look at the Nikon D100 and the new D70. Finally settled for the D70 because it came with a new 18-70mm DX Nikkor-zoom lens. The reviews on the net said the D70 has more features than the D100 despite the latter being more expensive. The D100 may be for pros but what made me decide on the D70 was the fact that it came with the new DX series lens and Nikon will be releasing new DX lenses soon. This is a new line will I assume replace the Nikon AF series.

I haven't "learned" the camera yet but I like it very much. The images are fantastic. Well now I can take some pics of my Stradale for the calender. :lol:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-04-2004, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Very cool. Were the photos of your drive last week with this camera or your old one?
post #3 of 11 Old 07-04-2004, 12:22 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
great choice stradale
you won't be disapointed
and what lenses are you using on it now BTW for the calender pics, switch to raws

you are going to buy original Nikon lenses??
have you seen the prices on those?
i'm sticking to Tamron & Sigma, those are literally 5 - 10 times cheaper

post #4 of 11 Old 07-04-2004, 01:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 255
very nice choise! My father (former prof photographer) also just bought one. He is also very satisfied.
and me too...because he gave me his 'old' funcamera; a CoolPix 4500
post #5 of 11 Old 07-04-2004, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
Very cool. Were the photos of your drive last week with this camera or your old one?
I used a compact - Canon Axus 2.

Quote:
you are going to buy original Nikon lenses??
I intend to get the new series of DX lens. They have not been released yet here so I don't know the prices yet. I have all Nikkor lenses with my manual cameras, so maybe I'll continue with them.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Stradale, I have had a Nikon Digital SLR for a couple of years now and can not recommend them more highly. The old F2 that I used to use all the time, has not come out of the case since I got the Digital. Have fun. Boxer42
post #7 of 11 Old 07-05-2004, 05:26 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 383
i've been looking for SLRs as of late and i was about to settle on an EOS; and with my lack of knowledge on SLRs i'm afraid i might opt for the wrong choice. I have a few questions,

pricewise: Is the Nikon 70D reasonably priced? What comes with the package?

availability: Is the Nikon readily available in the market?

lastly: Is it beginner/user friendly? I've only ever used an SLR once, and i enjoyed the experience, that's why i'm now moving on the the digital SLR experience (lol, sounds like a bloody promo..)
post #8 of 11 Old 07-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

adlinyusman, Similar to Ferrari's, with top end Digital cameras, you get what you pay for. I do not know much about the Canon EOS, but the Nikon's are really superior cameras. The D100 I have is very easy to use, takes great pictures, and has a battery that lasts forever. Another plus is that it fits alot of my older Nikon lens. You should be able to find them in the mall at Suria KLCC. You can also get very good deals in Singapore (which is where I bought mine). Boxer42.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-07-2004, 06:20 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 383
yeah i saw one in Subang Parade this morning. I wonder if they give discounts though..since this one comes as a set with the lens included..which is probably a good thing since i know next to nothing about SLRs.

Boxer 42: did you get a discount when you bought it in Singapore?
post #10 of 11 Old 07-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Yes, I went around to about 5 different stores and kept bargining until I got down to what I though was the lowest price. The benchmark I used was based on the grey market prices on the internet in the US (which is about as low as you will find). Good luck.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-07-2004, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Can't get any meanigful discount for the D70. But the body and lens package cost about RM900 more than the similar package of Canon EOS 300D.

There are only 4 DX lenses being produced for the D70 and I'm really waiting for the Macro lens which is not out yet.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode