Which car do you drive? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 113 Old 08-29-2002, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 228
Which car do you drive?

Hello everybody

What car do you drive?
It doesn't matter if you drive a Ferrari or Fait panda But let me know. So i know what ferrari Fans drive? (ofcourse Ferrari's but not all of us are so rich.)

I haven't a car yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Old 08-29-2002, 07:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 454
FerRory,

My wife and I have a '02 Toyota Tacoma (4x4), a '99 BMW 328s and my baby, the '77 308GTB.

Since we've just bought a house and I've taken a pay-cut since leaving the military (believe it or not, the money was pretty good especially since we're dual income), we're trading the BMW in for a '00 Chevrolet Impala. I'm impressed with how nice those cars are.

I've told my wife I'd drive a Ford Fiesta as long as we kept the Ferrari; how would a bumper sticker look on the Fiesta saying, "My Other Car's a Ferrari." :question: :ex:

People either think, "yeah right or it must be and that's obviously where his money's gone." :lol: :lol:

Forza,

Dane
post #3 of 113 Old 08-29-2002, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 228
:work: or a Fiesta

post #4 of 113 Old 08-29-2002, 08:07 AM
Owner

I'll sell my expendable organs just to keep mine! :green:

Forza,

Dane
post #5 of 113 Old 08-29-2002, 01:16 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
I drive an 1999 Opel Astra Break 1.7 TDI
I'm not really a big Opel fan, but hey as long as my boss pays for it, then i don't really hafve to complain

BTW guess where i took the pic? :wink:
post #6 of 113 Old 08-29-2002, 02:18 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 29
Well...have to admit that the 308 QV is the only "exotic" in my stable at present, but I plan on changing that situation in the future :wink:

In addition to the 308 (which is strictly a fun car / toy), I also have a '79 MGB Roadster (also a "toy").

As far as daily drivers go, I drive an '02 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD CrewCab truck, and my wife drives an '01 Ford Windstar. Not much, but they get us from point A to point B, right?
post #7 of 113 Old 08-29-2002, 02:26 PM

My dad also had a MG B
but an older one
he worked on it for 4 years, then kept it for about 2 years and then sold it.
Mainly cuz me and brother got older and we didn't have a garage to put the car in
post #8 of 113 Old 08-29-2002, 02:46 PM

Yes, they are fun little cars. Sort of like VW's -- you can keep them running with rubber bands and paper clips -- and parts are very inexpensive.

I bought mine "again" just last year out of nostalgia's sake. I say "again" because the first car I ever purchased as a teenager was a '72 chrome-bumper MGB, same color is my current car. Only difference was that the '72 car needed some restoration....

I was 16 and had just received my driver's license, and was driving home with my dad. We passed the used car lot on the way and I spotted the MG. At the time, I had about $3,000 saved up and it was burning a hole in my wallet. $2100 cash later (or lighter), I was behind the wheel. Drove it 2 miles home, pulled into the driveway, and dad says "we ought to put her up on blocks and start the restoration right away so she'll be ready in time for school". Well, we did tear the car apart pretty good, but never met our deadline. Between studies, work, and eventually going off to prep. school out of state and later college, the poor car just sat there wasting away on blocks. Came home from first semester of college during the holidays only to find my beloved MG was GONE. Found out later that dad got tired of looking at it in the backyard and sold it for $900 as a parts car! So I've always kind of missed having the MG around -- until recently. Oh, and the best part is, my wife loves that car!
post #9 of 113 Old 08-29-2002, 02:52 PM

You had an MG B with chrome bumper????
that's a euro version, i didn't know that there are some in the US??
post #10 of 113 Old 08-29-2002, 03:14 PM

Prior to 1974 (I think) the MG's had chrome bumpers. Around 1970, the grill itself was changed over to a recessed matte-black model. Around 1974, the bumpers themselves were changed over to the 5-mph black rubber-type molded bumpers. Here's a pic of a '72 model that was very similar to mine (almost identical), except mine need some restoration :lol: ......
post #11 of 113 Old 08-29-2002, 03:22 PM

For comparison's sake...

Here's a pic of my current '79 MGB. Notice the big change in the bumper and grill design -- almost looks a little bland when compared to the older cars. Who knows, maybe one day I'll buy another chrome bumper model just for fun.
post #12 of 113 Old 08-29-2002, 03:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
A sweet 1997 550 Maranello. It is silver in color with a dark blue interior. Of course this is my week end car. I also use it on business trips to San Diego, the Bay Area, & Las Vegas.

For everyday, my car is a 2000 Hyundia. I have no idea of the model name but it is the small one with a 5 speed. Yes, I know it is a dog but I have saved much money driving dogs. Now I can drive a pancing horse.

:green:

12 cylinders or walk
post #13 of 113 Old 08-29-2002, 03:43 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 824
Well, still being a student, I do not have a long or impressive list yet! Two years ago I had the change to buy a 1989 Renault 19 for the big sum of $200 so I did. After it gave up on me after 10.000 km and several bills later (!) I traded it in for a 1990 Toyota Corolla 1.6 Liftback, which is still my current faultless car. Amazingly, I got more money for my R19 than I ultimately spent on it, so it was a nice deal! Now I have been checking out Porsches 924/944 and Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquests, but I think I will stick with the Toyota untill I finish my studies. Than we have to see what my first job will require/deliver.

Then on almost daily base, I drive Mercedes-Benz vans for working purpose. Mostly Sprinters, but sometimes also Vitos.

Most fun thing to drive in was a DAF YA 128 Army truck of 1956 and a Formule Renault on the circuit. Most fun thing to be in the passanger seat should be a Ferrari 512bb.

Niels
post #14 of 113 Old 08-29-2002, 06:27 PM
Owner

Eric and DJ,

I, too, just recently signed the title over to a good friend for a 1970 MGB GT. I redid the interior, had the majority of the rust removed from the body, repainted it and installed a MGB performance exhaust on it. What a great little car to drive!!

Forza,

Dane
post #15 of 113 Old 08-30-2002, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric308gtsiqv
Prior to 1974 (I think) the MG's had chrome bumpers. Around 1970, the grill itself was changed over to a recessed matte-black model. Around 1974, the bumpers themselves were changed over to the 5-mph black rubber-type molded bumpers. Here's a pic of a '72 model that was very similar to mine (almost identical), except mine need some restoration :lol: ......
That's the one my dad had, he had a dark blue one.
I was really young when he sold the car, so i don't remember it that well.

I didn't know they had those versions in the US also, cuz of the strict laws for safety i knew that they have the ones with the black bumpers wich i find less attractive IMO
post #16 of 113 Old 08-30-2002, 07:39 AM

DJ: Yes, it's too bad that the whole appearance of the car was changed so drastically simply because of the tighter crash-safety / emissions laws that became so widespread in the mid-70's. I just can't see how the "newer" style black 5-mph bumpers can be any safer than the older chrome ones! If you get creamed in an MG, I don't think that the bumpers are going to be of much help, regardless of the style IMO. The chrome style certainly gives the car a more British-Vintage look. Look at what the Feds did to the 308 with the "safer" bumpers. I just don't get it -- Oh well.

Dane: Sounds like you put quite a bit of work into your MGB GT! I bet it was kind of sad to see it go. I actually considered buying a GT not long ago off E-bay -- you may have seen it -- it was previously owned by Amy Grant, the singer. The car looked like it needed quite a bit of work though.

Bart: I love the 550 -- especially after seeing the ProDrive 550 race at Sebring this year! Man, that car screamed. I would imagine yours is extremely fast as well.

250lm: I admire your spirit and attitude -- and you obviously have a true passion for fine marques. Keep working hard, and stay committed to your dreams and goals, and you'll reach them! I've been there, as have many others on this board; and we can all attest to the fact that dreams do come true. There's a Ferrari in your future for sure!
post #17 of 113 Old 08-31-2002, 08:23 AM
Owner

Eric,

Even though I knew I had a Ferrari, it was sad to see Morris's little car go. I think it was the fact that I had put so much work into it that made it such a sad experience. That car was so much fun to drive! My plates read "SALOON" for two (or four-door) British sedan.

I never did see Amy's GT for sale on eBay. I'd like to have seen what kind of work it needed. I always thought of them as the perfect entry level car for one to work on... It gave me a great deal of satisfaction seeing that car improve over time.

Forza,

Dane
post #18 of 113 Old 09-15-2002, 10:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
Please don't laugh but I drive a 2001 Honda Civic.
post #19 of 113 Old 09-16-2002, 01:05 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Queengirl,
We won't laugh at your Honda as long as you don't put a rear wing, 20" rims and a "Fear This" sticker on it.

In addition to the Ferrari, I have a '69 Kaiser-Jeep Commando, an '82 Jeep CJ-7 and a '95 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins turbo diesel engine. My fiancee has a '00 Nissan XTerra.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #20 of 113 Old 09-16-2002, 06:57 AM
Owner

Queengirl,

Welcome to the site! Please don't ever think that we'd laugh about the kind of car you drive. I think you'll find this a very friendly forum with some nice folks who love Ferrari. Not everyone here owns a Ferrari!

I concur with Pete; ANY car with monster spoilers, 20" wheels and "Fear This" stickers is bound to get some chuckles.

Again, welcome! If you are "female," you may be the first here that I know about.

Forza,

Dane

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode