TVR vs Lotus Esprit - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 06-30-2004, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
TVR vs Lotus Esprit

Between a early to mid 90's TVR or a Lotus Esprit (pre V8), which would be the preferred car and why ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-30-2004, 11:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
A 94 Esprit S4 or 95 S4s would be my pick. The best shape of the lot and all the bugs pretty well sorted out. :up:

TVR I don't know much about. One plus with the 4-cyl Esprit is that it had a very long model run from the S1 to the S4s and so reliability, tractibility, etc generally got better and better.

For accurate info about each Lotus Esprit model year-by-year try here http://www.espritfactfile.com/
post #3 of 29 Old 07-01-2004, 01:31 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I was going to start "Lotus Forum" but the company itself is doing the same (they beat me to it by a month )

Having never driven a TVR I don't know how to compare that. What TVR would you get? Based on our other thread the TVR is clearly not reliable as you stated. Bazil's description is scary.

I agree with 4kids3fish. A 94 S4 would be very nice. I believe 1995 is when the switched to the V8? Either way, the 94 has an exotic look and the feel of an exotic. Rear visibilty sucks because of the wing but isn't a major issue.

The turbo sounds awesome on an S4 and the car is pretty quick off the line. I think your F355 is a bit faster, though. Also when you are sitting in the car you sit very low and the dash is realatively high. The shifts are extremely short and easy to make. Shifting into 2nd though is difficult, if you do it fast you'll grind the gear (at least on the car I drove).

Like I said, I'll know more about TVRs come this weekend as I'll have my first encounter with one.

post #4 of 29 Old 07-01-2004, 10:25 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
i preffer the Esprit S1, love the simple lines of that car, great looks and you can get it pretty cheap
besides the car always looked great in the movies: The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker & For Your Eyes Only

as for the TVR of you are looking for a mid 90ths car, then go for a Griffith
post #5 of 29 Old 07-06-2004, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Would you go for the Griffith or the Chimera ? Sorry to sound so naive, but do either use the Speed Six ?

Have looked at a number of Lotus' over the years. Can't put my finger on it, but there is just something that does not feel quite right (depending on the model: cockpit design, switch gear, driving position, pedal position, etc)
post #6 of 29 Old 07-06-2004, 02:25 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer42
Would you go for the Griffith or the Chimera ? Sorry to sound so naive, but do either use the Speed Six ?
No - if you're looking at a mid 90s version of either of those, it'll be a V8.
post #7 of 29 Old 07-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

The Cerbera also used the V8 I believe. This model I'm told is relatively reliable.
post #8 of 29 Old 07-06-2004, 06:07 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 55
so TVR's are really that unreliable? i read in road and track or something that lotus esprit were most unreliable. :-?
post #9 of 29 Old 07-06-2004, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Sounds like you pick one and then roll the dice. I get the feeling that neither could be used as a daily driver.
post #10 of 29 Old 07-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
Boxer, I had a Lotus for 9 years and ended up using it EXCLUSIVELY for daily driving. That's because it was a 2-seater and I soon started collecting kids. Whenever we wanted to go anywhere on the weekend I needed more than 2 seats, so all I could do with it was drive it everyday to work. My "favourite" part was the daily 5km/hr bumper-to-bumper traffic grind up & over Sydney's Gladesville Bridge, which is a very steep vertical curve, I can tell you. I still enjoyed it though.

I had a few friends also with Lotuses and most drove them very regularly. Yep, they need work now & then & bits can fall off (I knew a Europa which lost a rear wheel at speed but that one was a pretty clapped-out example), but they're generally easy to work on & use mostly low-tech parts. In true Lotus tradition though they are strong but not over-engineered. They go nice & hard but will need regular upkeep if pushed all the time.

The mid-engine ones have sensational steering and IMO a great short-throw gearchange once you're used to it. As the centre console is quite a bit higher than most cars the whole gear-changing thing is unique - you have your elbow up almost chest-high and just click with your wrist. Fantastic!

But Porsches they ain't. They are best being coddled over the rough stuff and then fanged hard through the smooth curves. From the cheapest models to the most expensive they are FUN!
post #11 of 29 Old 07-07-2004, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
The Cerbera also used the V8 I believe. This model I'm told is relatively reliable.
Yep - until recently when they started making a Cerbera with the speed six engine it was Rover V8 all the way.

The V8 engine itself is very reliable - it's just the build quality issues with the rest of the car!!

The V8 Cerbera is monumentally, unbeliveably, indescribably fast though!!
post #12 of 29 Old 07-07-2004, 08:46 PM

so who supplies tvr's engines now, rover? i thought they used to be oldsmobile?
post #13 of 29 Old 07-08-2004, 06:54 AM

Andrew

Cerbera's are a lot harder to find then a Griffith

Shaolin

TVR makes everything theirself, all in-house designed and made
they are completelly handbuilt
post #14 of 29 Old 07-08-2004, 12:17 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 322
Well I would pick a Lotus Esprit because looks and power. You can do a lot of tuning to them.

TVR is englands leading carmaker nowadays. They disign there own engines. The tiny company not only builds some of the world's most outlandish high-performance meschinery, but it also makes-or arranges to have made-more of its own components than many major automobile manufacturers do. It is like any sports car with about 400+ Hp and 300+ torque. 0 to 60 is about 60. Don't worry about models because they only make about 4 kinds. This modles are the Griffith, Chimaera, Cerbera, and Tuscan. The owner is Petter Wheeler. To me ther not beautiful but I don't know yout taste. Any more info you need just ask. :wink:
post #15 of 29 Old 07-08-2004, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo_Ferrari
TVR is englands leading carmaker nowadays.................. Don't worry about models because they only make about 4 kinds. This modles are the Griffith, Chimaera, Cerbera, and Tuscan.
Englands leading car maker!!

I'm not sure the boys at Ford or Vauxhall or Aston Martin or Bentley or Jaguar or Land Rover etc etc would agree with that!!!

The Griffith was dropped from the line a couple of years ago.

The model line up now is as follows:

Chimaera
Cerbera
Tamora
T350R
Tuscan
Tuscan S
T440R

I understand that a new model is due within the next 6 months too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dirk
TVR makes everything theirself, all in-house designed and made
Very nearly. The Chimaera still uses the Rover V8 based engine. The rest are either the Speed Six or Speed Eight - which were developed in house.
post #16 of 29 Old 07-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Bazil,

You beat me to it. I'm sure Aston Martin would be very offended and then all the others you listed.
post #17 of 29 Old 07-08-2004, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
Bazil,

You beat me to it. I'm sure Aston Martin would be very offended and then all the others you listed.
well jaguar is owned by ford and the rest i jsut forget, bentley is owned by audi, etc, lotus, are they still owned by that malaysian company?
post #18 of 29 Old 07-08-2004, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Yes, Lotus is still owned by Proton. In terms of total ownership independence, TVR is probably the 2nd largest remaining UK car manufacturer after Rover. Aston, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Land Rover, Jaguar, Mini, and Vauxhall are now all owned by US and German companies.
post #19 of 29 Old 07-09-2004, 08:28 AM

Bazil

you are forgetting the awesomly cool Sagaris & the Typhon
post #20 of 29 Old 07-09-2004, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dirk
you are forgetting the awesomly cool Sagaris & the Typhon
They're not quite officially launched yet.

Both of them look fabulous though - especially the Sagaris.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode