Alpine Roads - Gran Turismo tips? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-30-2004, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Alpine Roads - Gran Turismo tips?

I'm indulging in a 3 week Gran Turismo from the end of July this year. Travelling from London to Arezzo in Tuscany and back via Switzerland, Leichtenstein, Austria, Germany & France.

I have heard the Stelvio Pass is worth a pop, but I'd be very happy to hear any views on this road or any others in that bloody long trip.

Also for those who question the reliability & handling at high speeds of the 348, I'll let you know if I get home from the Autobahns & Alps alive and in a running car.

Marvellous,
DaveO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-30-2004, 09:26 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 476
Enjoy the trip! Be careful... I've heard the 348 is very "nervous" at high speeds.

I'd love to hear about it when you get back!
post #3 of 5 Old 06-30-2004, 09:58 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
word of advice
in germany the adviced speed on the freeway is 130km/h, wich means you are allowed to speed 250 km/h if you want, HOWEVER if you see speed signs telling you to drive 130 or 110, then do it, or don't go over it much. because the cops in germany have some serious fast cars to catch you.

also when you are in driving on the freeway and you can speed, pray that you see a cop, it's so much fun passing one then while you are doing 200 km/h :green:

post #4 of 5 Old 07-01-2004, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Thanks for the reminder on the autobahn speed restrictions, I have a good friend in Frankfurt with a 360CS & he advises me that the slightest indiscretion on a restricted stretch almost always results in a warm embrace from the welcoming arms of Herr Polizei.

As regards the nervousness of the 348 at high speeds, its unlikely to be as nervous as me. I've taken her up to 160mph on the A1 on the way from Calais to Reims (apologies to French lawmakers) and the car was fine, a little light at the front end but still held the road well.

Its actually a battle against my own nerve, I don't care what you are driving, nothing is 100% solid at that kind of pace on a public road & I'm very aware of that having trashed an AMG CLK a few years back.

Anyway, any tips on the Alpine roads?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-01-2004, 09:38 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
be lucky that their won't be any snow this time of year
else if you are driving there on normal tyres then it can get VERY SCARY :-?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode