Worth it? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-25-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
Worth it?

maserati willing to part out

This is in my local Craigslist. I know there's not much info but, from what's in the pictures is it worth $600?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-25-2013, 06:00 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 590
I'm going to have to say no. Biturbos are good cars if taken care of, but this isn't one of them. These cars are cheap for a reason. This was Detomaso's attempt to save a nearly bankrupt Maserati. He wanted to (had to) produce an every man's Maserati so this was priced to be a thinking man's alternative to the E30. Long story short is Maserati+ Mass production+ turbos+ shoe-string budget= disaster. It has been said that the only reliable part about Biturbos are engine fires... No one can argue the fact that they did save the company from dying.

I could right a book about more specific problem points so you should check out this site:

Enrico's Maserati Page

Don't get me wrong, though, I really like Biturbos. I've been sort of looking on and off for a decent one for awhile. Cars don't get any quirkier, and they have some pretty interesting technical details. They were the first production twin-turbo car, had 3(yes, 3) valves per cylinder, etc. The later fuel injected cars (86+) were actually pretty reliable. Anyway, to wrap this up, my best advice is that if you decide you want one get one in great shape, because parts are still Maserati expensive.

Ciao Jules

Current Italian Bellas:
95 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 1978 Fiat 124 Spider
Sometime in the Future: Red 308 GTS

Last edited by RossoVeloce; 11-25-2013 at 06:58 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-25-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
Thanks. I got the VIN:zamal1107eb318849

post #4 of 5 Old 11-25-2013, 06:56 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 590
This car is an 84 which means that it has the Salisbury differential which is very dangerous when it goes bad. The splines that connect the driveshaft to the differential will wear out, and when they do they will cause the rear wheels to lock unexpectedly. This is also very expensive to repair.

Also, Maserati had no idea that people would use the air conditioner so much in the states, and it is a major problem point. If it is ran for too long, the extremely fragile fusebox will not be able to handle the extra load, and it will melt. It can also cause the water pump bearings to seize, and the timing belt will break which of course means an engine rebuild.

The turbos do not have intercoolers, and are designed to be cooled by the engine oil. I think you can see what's wrong with that. With non-synthetic oil the turbos will probably last only 15k miles. Replacing the turbos= $$$$ so synthetic oil is mandatory. A sign of bad turbos is black smoke coming from the exhaust.

The oil galleries leading to the cam housings had small bronze filters that will clog and cause the cam bearings to seize. There was a recall for this back in the day, but many still have them.

You also need to replace the valve shims every 10k miles or so (I think). This is EXTREMELY difficult. All of them have to be perfect because the two intake valves are operated by the same cam lobe. This job will take a pro 30-40 hours of labor. Seriously!

Ciao Jules

Current Italian Bellas:
95 Alfa Romeo 164 LS, 1978 Fiat 124 Spider
Sometime in the Future: Red 308 GTS
post #5 of 5 Old 11-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
"My husband brought this home and I want it gone"

I think she has a point! And I bet he is in the doghouse.

If I were you, I would keep well clear.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode