A Day with my Son, - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 06-08-2004, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
A Day with my Son,

I came home around 11:00 a.m. today to pick up my son and change cars to the beast. I had to delivery books to a class in Ventura. Our first stop was the DeLorean mechanic in Garden Grove. There we met the last authorize mechanic in the U. S. of A. for the DeLorean. He had maybe 10 to 12 cars. One was a copy of the car from “Back to the Future”. He told us his mechanic had spent 3 years making it. Wow, it had everything on it. The lights, the thing on the back, and the stuff in the interior were all done great. My son, who is 6’ 4”, sat in it and was able to drive it. I am planning to buy him a DeLorean 8) as a college graduation present.

After driving up the coast via PCH to Ventura from Santa Monica, we dropped off the books. Next, we stopped at the “Auto Gallery” in San Fernando Valley. There my son saw a Porsche Cheyenne. His comment was it looked like a frog. After a closer look, he was right. It does look like a frog. :-?

We walked into the showroom and there was a Porsche Carrera GT. It has a V-10 in it. The salesman shows us the car. Very interesting it was. He said they had an offer at $575,000 but said no to it. It is a great looking car.

I did see one problem. There are large scopes behind the front wheel, which would throw stones onto the door panel. Unless the owner is someone like me, he will be upset at the clips on the door.

As we were leaving a red 360 was in front of us. The plates were from Tennessee. The driver told me he had 66,000 milers on it. I told him that was great. :green:

After having a wonderful dinner, my son and I were off to the Disney Concert Hall for a night of music. As I was about to turn into the parking lot, a cloud of white steam enveloped my car. I pulled into the front of what I thought was a hotel. The woman gave me a fire extinguished and I put on a small fire in the engine compartment.

I think a water hose broke causing the engine to over heat and ignited something in the engine. I had it towed to my friend Larry in Orange from downtown LA to Orange, about 50 miles. It is sitting all alone behind Larry’s garage tonight. He will be surprised when he comes to work in the morrow.

Tomorrow I will see what the problem is.

As my son just said, “Today was an interesting time.”

:nuts:

12 cylinders or walk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-08-2004, 09:51 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 776
Bummer to hear the Beast burned a bit Bart. Glad you got it out before anything worse happened.

Also, my son is only 4, but I really enjoy spending the day with him so I know you two had a good day.

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...
post #3 of 26 Old 06-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
A perfect trip for bonding. 8)

post #4 of 26 Old 06-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
I admire your perspective on all this Bart. OK, the 550 has a problem but there are other things in life that are rightfully more important.

Good luck with the Beast.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-09-2004, 02:00 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
so nextr thing you are going to do tomorrow is buying a fire extinguisher yourself? Don't want to think what would have happened if you were on a lonely road...
post #6 of 26 Old 06-09-2004, 02:44 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 900
I heard a Carrera GT in Scottsdale sold for $790k.
post #7 of 26 Old 06-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
So Bart,
When is your son coming to work for me? I can use a good third mate.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #8 of 26 Old 06-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchferrari
I heard a Carrera GT in Scottsdale sold for $790k.
There are some rich idiots out there, because the Carrrera GT is still available at 400,000 Euro, that's about US520,000.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-09-2004, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
After next April, Pete.

:green:

12 cylinders or walk
post #10 of 26 Old 06-10-2004, 04:36 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Well tell him to look up Transocean http://www.deepwater.com/. It's not traditional sailing but the rotation is 3 weeks on - 3 weeks off and the company pays for your transportation. The starting salary is around $50k to $60k. That's not bad cash for a guy just getting out of school.

What we are looking for is Dynamic Positioning Operators. We will train him to get his DPO certification and he will get sea time for upgrading his USCG license.

I've got some of your son's classmates working for me now. If your son gets placed on my oil rig you can rest assured that I will take him under my wing. I'll be hard on him and I'll expect a lot from him, but I'll make sure he gets all the skills needed to safely operate a deepwater drilling rig.

Have him contact me at [email protected] if he wants to know more about Transocean or the drilling industry and he can list me as a reference on his resume.

Capt. Pete
post #11 of 26 Old 06-10-2004, 06:16 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 383
why would ppl constantly pay over list to buy a car which is still in production? Oh yeah.

the eternity long waiting list.

a neighbour just bought himself a continental gt and he (or someone driving it without his knowledge) almost ran over a school girl riding a bike. That was a couple of weeks ago. Sigh. Why can't they be more careful? It's a housing district for god's sake.

"Crazy drunk drivers." (Btw, that's a line from Back to the future, since you mentioned the delorean; thought it would fit in. :P)
post #12 of 26 Old 06-10-2004, 06:50 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Oh, and don't buy your son a car! Let him buy his own damn car! Your graduation present is the fact that you paid for 4 years of the Academy!

You have given your son the gift of opportunity. He should be down on his knees thanking you for that!!

I think he will have more of a sense of achievement when he buys his own car with his own money rather than having Daddy pay for it.

He can look at his car and say "This is MINE. I paid for it!" You have to let go Bart, I really don't think you should buy your son a car.

Capt. Pete
post #13 of 26 Old 06-10-2004, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
You have given your son the gift of opportunity. He should be down on his knees thanking you for that!!
Personally I think that is the wrong way to look at it. YOU have taken the choice to have a kid. Then YOU should keep in the back of your head that that kid maybe wants to study, and that he can't pay that himself. So I think that if you can afford it, it is normal that you pay that for your kid. Offcourse, he should be happy that you payed it for him, but down on his knees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
I think he will have more of a sense of achievement when he buys his own car with his own money rather than having Daddy pay for it.
Absolutely.
post #14 of 26 Old 06-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Owner
Elite Member

OK Bob, I guess I blew that out of proportion. I think maybe just being thankful is in order.

Capt. Pete
post #15 of 26 Old 06-10-2004, 04:26 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 135
hey dudes, i haven't posted in a while, alot of shit went on in real life in the past few months.

Anyhow, sad to hear about your car Bart, must of been abit of a shock :P

Oh and Pete thats alot of money for that job jeeeeeeez How do you get a job there? (deepwater.com don't work for me)

I'll post an update very soon on my 3d ferrari's, currently learning Adobe Illustrator so I can finish off some details on the cars

Cheerio Chaps
post #16 of 26 Old 06-10-2004, 04:38 PM

good to see you're back, hope everything is ok now.

Looking forward to your 3d models
post #17 of 26 Old 06-10-2004, 07:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
Bob & Bart - your advice is needed pls (re buying cars for kids).

My eldest is almost 16. He's got a few "rich" friends which at times makes things a bit difficult for him, because we don't throw $$ around like some of their families. Anyway, the boys are all seriously into cars now, of course.

One friend's family will be buying him "any car of your choice up to AUD$100K = say US$70K". Not quite enough for a Boxster but still way up there! (BTW that boy's mother has just lost her licence on-the-spot for going almost 3x the residential speed limit in HER Porsche )

Another friend will be given a decent new car "provided he doesn't smoke or take drugs". Now that's an interesting position (but how would the parents ever know ???).

Our #1 son obviously would like us to buy him one too (and then so will kids 2, 3 & 4 !!!) I have considered maybe doing a "dollar-for-dollar" deal, where if he raises say 10K I will match it, as he is not a good "self-starter" and needs to learn a lot about making his own way in the world (aginst those damn Americans :green: ). What to do?? :ugh:

Yours,
Anguished parent
post #18 of 26 Old 06-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
You could always do what my Dad did. Get an old car from a impound/police auction (if they have those). Then make him pay everything, gas, insurance, oil changes etc. 20k seems like a lot for a first car. Mine was worth maybe $1,000USD at best.
post #19 of 26 Old 06-10-2004, 08:36 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4

Hi, anguished parent,

I agree with Enzo. He may 'want' a sports car or what, however all he 'needs' now is just a car. Good enough to bring friends out or hang out. IMO, eventually, all the things you do is an act of love for your children. But, giving is not always the best act of loving. Holding is not always an act of less-love.

I was given '95 bimmer 740i on my freshman year by my parents. To this day, i still appreciate it very much. Freshman for that, yeah. My car was second best throughout the campus, next to a 355. Both of us were foreign students.

Then in my senior year, my house economy was not doing well. I sold my car (out of my own will), and was 'car-less' for 1 year, during the toughest year in college. I survived. During that time, I badly needed a car, but I tried holding back my needs. Seeing many others doing not just well without cars, but even better than i did, i asked myself, "If they could do it, why couldn;t I?"

Many of you here maybe the self-made successful men, you know what I am talking about.

Just my 2 cents

Ulysess A.
post #20 of 26 Old 06-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_Gibson
Oh and Pete thats alot of money for that job jeeeeeeez How do you get a job there? (deepwater.com don't work for me)
Welcome back Simon! Try the link again. It should work. If you want to get a job there at Transocean you have to go to school for four years like Bart's son. He is going to California Maritime Academy. I went to Maine Maritime Academy (which is better). I have been with Transocean for 9 years now.

Capt. Pete

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode