The "typical" American - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 Old 06-08-2004, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
The "typical" American

OK, someone on this site, I won't mention who but his initials are DJ Dirk, has stereotyped Americans!!

What is the typical American?

I drive a 4WD Pickup truck, I drink Budweiser beer, I smoke Marlboro cigarettes. When I'm not drinking beer I drink Coca-Cola. Am I the typical American or what?

If I'm enjoying life then why do European's hate me? And why are the people who hate this country trying so hard to get in?

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 06-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
Pete, do we sense that you are feeling a little unloved? On top of the world perhaps, but maybe just a little bit lonely (in the global sense)? Driving thru' for a few mega-whoppers-with-fries and yet still have a gnawing unsatisfaction in your tummy?

Typical American, Loud American, Redneck American, Ugly American, Dumb American, ..... these are just names, Pete, and they don't apply to you. No, I really mean that.

Your one of our Favourite Americans, buddy! Sure, you've got an SUV-full of faults, but we can overlook those as long as you put up a pic or 2 of your 308 every so often. Just don't take it into the mud, OK!

Your global gang at FF .... ha:
post #3 of 87 Old 06-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I can understand how he feels living in Japan and feeling the anti-Americanism in the world. It is a tuff topic because you have to try and see it from the other persons point of view and that is hard. That is why I try to be as diplomatic as possible.

post #4 of 87 Old 06-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
All I wonder is what this world would be without America?

:green:

12 cylinders or walk
post #5 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
All I wonder is what this world would be without America?

:green:
Bart, That is the best quote ever!!!

Capt. Pete
post #6 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

I've tried very hard to avoid being political on this site. One of the things I love about this site is the international community. I consider myself a citizen of the planet Earth, I just happen to have been blessed with being born in America.

It does piss me off when people in Europe, who if it wasn't for us would be speaking German, talk bad about the U.S. of A. I read the papers, Europe thinks the U.S. should get out of Iraq. Gee, maybe 60 years ago we should have pulled out of France.

This past weekend was the 60th anniversary of the D-Day invasion. I guess that is why my blood is boiled. I was there, with my President, the President of France, the King of Norway and the Queen of England, for the 50th anniversary. Americans fought and died there to save the people who now critize us.

So this is my political post and now you know where I stand. If you want a war, we are going to fight it on YOUR soil, not mine. My property is protected because I am paying to have forces deployed overseas.

America does not just think about America, we think about the World as a whole and sometimes when there is a bully in your neighborhood, you have to have a big stick. We are there to help, don't feel sorry for the bully.

Capt. Pete
post #7 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 06:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
Not only Europeans say America should leave Iraq. A lot of Americans are saying it themselves too. It is not that I have something against Americans, not at all. They just have a total different view on the world than Europe.
And please, the 2nd WW is something totally different than Iraq.
post #8 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 07:39 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 68
Quote:
Not only Europeans say America should leave Iraq. A lot of Americans are saying it themselves too. It is not that I have something against Americans, not at all. They just have a total different view on the world than Europe.
And please, the 2nd WW is something totally different than Iraq.
I don't wanna get all into this, especially on a forum for Ferraris, but I do want to say that I agree with Bob, WW2 and Iraq are two VERY different situations.
post #9 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

My President drew a line across the sand in Iraq. The Iraqi's crossed it several times.

There are some Americans who say we shouldn't be in Iraq. There were also Americans who said we shouldn't be in Viet Nam, Korea and Europe. They are the minority. They have the power of Freedom of Speech. The majority of the people voted for Mr. Bush and the majority of the people support his actions. He's doing the right thing. He has said what he is going to do and he is doing it!

And how is Iraq not like WW2? We just caught it in time. We took the country out of Saddam's hands and we are in the process of giving it back to the people. Just like Germany. Or maybe we should have waited until he invaded Iran and Saudi Arabia on his way to Europe. Then the world would be screaming "Why isn't the U.S. doing something about this!?!"

This is the only place I will wave the flag on FF. I'm just venting here.

Capt. Pete
post #10 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 08:31 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
-The majority of the people support his actions.
-He's doing the right thing.
2 different things, the majority is not alwys right. That's why more and more people are against it. When America invaded iraq, almost every American supported it. Now more and more are against it. I think if 55%is against it, Bush will stay in Iraq anyway.

Quote:
Maybe we should have waited until he invaded Iran and Saudi Arabia on his way to Europe.
Come on, You really think he would invade Europe? Terrorism and invading a country isn't the same. He did not have the material to invade Europe. Yes, maybe he had weapons of mass destruction, but I believe those aren't found yet. A war against terrorism won't help, because you can never win from terrorism.
post #11 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 09:21 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 476
Pete the "Majority" of people didn't vote for Bush. The more individuals voted for Gore. Bush won the Electoral vote and that was that. That's the way our system is set up. It's not perfect but it works better than most. So, he's my President.

Iraq and WWII cannot be compared. I was one of those Americans who supported the war in Iraq. That decision was based on what is now proven to be bad intelligence or out and out lies (Sadam shopping for nuclear items in Africa). There was no way he could have invaded any other country. He was contained. He'd had ten years of war with Iran (with our backing by the way- with cash and arms) and still couldn't win. I’m embarrassed at the incompetence being shown by this administration in its dealing with Iraq. So many lessons learned before were just ignored. Bush said in his campaign for President that he wasn’t interested in Nation Building. I guess he wasn’t lying. I grew up in Texas, I know about the Bushes. If you think he’s looking out for the little guys like you and me here in this country your wrong.

I don’t consider myself a Democrat or Republican. I’d thought both parties had better candidates last election than both Bush and Gore. I’ve seen what Bush has done and I have to say it’s one of the worst jobs that any president in the last 40 years has done. That includes Nixon. He proved you can’t have guns-n-butter. Bush is doing the same and increasing the dept to a point unheard of before. He’s allowing big business to screw us little guys, listen to the Enron energy tapes being released.

As far as the “Bully” analogy… you do realize that most bullies are the big kids throwing their weight around. Right? Well, for most of the world that big kid is the United States. And no one has been a bigger bully than George Bush.

Some people like him. Some hate him. I thought his rant at the Academy awards was out of line. But “Bowling for Columbine” was brilliant. And I’m looking forward to seeing this:
http://www.fahrenheit911.com/trailer/

From what I know about you Pete I like you. To me America is about having wide diverging ideas, beliefs, faiths, and still coming together to solve problems and create a place to live where people can still have all of those differences. I’m not a big fan of Kerry but, he’s got to be better than “Good old Gee-Dubuyaa” .
post #12 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 09:44 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
It should be important to remember that we only got involved in WWII because of Pearl Harbor and Japan. Up until Japan attacked us, we stayed out.
post #13 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 09:52 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082
Quote:
The majority of the people voted for Mr. Bush
the majority voted for Gore,NOT Bush

why are we pissed about iraq? bush betrayed the UN and went to war without permission and even lied about it and used false pretenses
installing a democratic party into a country that doesn't want it or isn't ready for it isn't the answer, somethimes, how cruel it may sound, a dictatorship isn't completelly bad. the iraqy people don't know anything else, so don't expect them to understand all those changes at once
now your american forces are getting killed because of it during "peace time" more have died now then during the actual war.

BTW Peter, stop smoking Marlboro, it's bad for you, or any cigarettes for that matter, just an occasional cigar is allowed though :wink: .
and budweisser?? really???
man, i really need to teach you some good beers when you finally make it over here

PS i badmouth the dutch even more then the americans, Hey Bob & Niels :green:
post #14 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 10:01 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 476
For the record, I drink Bud as well when I'm out.

If I want something special Franzenkaner is in my fridge! 8)
post #15 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

I love this! This is what it is all about, international communication and understanding. So lets set some records strait.

TWICE George Bush went to the UN in March BEFORE attacking. Fine, while the UN doesn't have the balls to DO WHAT IS RIGHT. Bush will. This week Tom Brokaw, a major US news reporter, interviewed Bush. Bush looked him dead in the eye and said, "I'm not doing what is popular, I'm doing what is right."

The whole political spetrum has changed. During Regan people didn't like him but there was the threat of Communism just waiting to expand West into all of Europe.

Now we have terrorism and wake up! They hate the EU as well. They hate everyone. Remember Bali? That was even a Muslim nation.

If going into Iraq was wrong how do you justify allowing Sadam stay in power? How do you turn your head and allow 300,000+ people be killed by him? How do you then say you are for human rights like speech, gay marriage etc?

The worst thing:
hypocrisy n 1: an expression of agreement that is not supported by real conviction [syn: lip service] 2: insincerity by virtue of pretending to have qualities or beliefs that you do not really have
post #16 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 10:56 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 218
Hopefully Bush will lose to Kerry, we need this to happen for the United States to survive as a power

IMO, no president has done more to damage our foriegn policy and standing on the world stage as George W. Bush

"W, where are the WMD?"
post #17 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 11:01 AM

As an American (citizen) I think I have the right to say that many of my countrymen (and women) have really no idea what goes on in the world and what the rest of Earth's population really thinks outside of the USofA

This can be proven be simply seeing how many Americans beleive we were attacked on 9/11 because: "we are a bright beacon of freedom to oppressed peoples"
post #18 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botto
This can be proven be simply seeing how many Americans beleive we were attacked on 9/11 because: "we are a bright beacon of freedom to oppressed peoples"
Why were we attacked? Some say it was irrational but I think all terror is rational in the sense that it is done in order to change ones behavior. So if the attack was to get the U.S. to pull out of the Middle East and to reduce its world presense should it? Is the world more or less secure having one hegemon or are we better off with two (IE Cold War).
post #19 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 11:39 AM

In my opinion, one of the biggest reasons we were attacked (not the only) was our cointiuned and irrational support of the criminal actions of Israel
post #20 of 87 Old 06-09-2004, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

I have many freinds from all over the world and I count the people on this forum among them. I am glad that I have a place where I can spout off and nobody thinks less of me because of it. Like Andrew said, "This is what it is all about, international communication and understanding"

I'm a Bush supporter. I voted for him in the last election and will vote for him again in the next. He is a leader. He is someone who is not afraid to put his foot down and say "That's Enough!!" It's a tough job. I think about what I would do if I were the President and I'm glad I have George Bush sitting in the Oval Office to represent me. You would not like me as President. (although you might like my new "clothing optional" regulation for Florida.)

Capt. Pete

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode