Test Drove a Porsche - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-20-2002, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
Test Drove a Porsche

I had many Corvairs in my young. I helped drive a VW Van around this county in the 1960s with a 900 cc engine. (dog) I never have driven a Porsche until today. It was a 2002 911-twin turbo. It was not the GT2 but one step under it. The clutch was like the clutch of a VW, soft. It drove very similar to a VW Bug of old but with much more power. Being a turbo, there was a lag.
The salesman said it was faster then my 550. Maybe off the line but my heavens, do I want to spend $160,000 for a fast VW? Good Lord no.

Why do so many people like the Porsche. I now understand it may be fast but it has no feel. Too soft.

Give me my 550.
:green:

12 cylinders or walk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-20-2002, 07:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 286
Bart, I couldn't agree with you more. The Ferrari has so much more going for it and not everybody has one.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-20-2002, 09:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 457
Bart and Magoo,

I am in complete agreement. And this is from a Porsche owner. I have a 1987 944 Turbo.

I swear my 308 GTB and the Porsche argue with each other in my garage at night. It's nice to have one example of each of these two famous rival marques.

The Ferrari is the "truer" sports GT.

Barry

post #4 of 10 Old 08-20-2002, 09:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 25
Wow, I never thought I'd hear someone ever criticize the Carrera TT. I've owned a couple of P-cars and always aspired to a TT.

Very interesting....so for the money, you feel the car isn't worth it? Tell me more...What was your impression of the fit and finish? You said the car had power, what was the handling like compared to your car?

cheers!
Tom
post #5 of 10 Old 08-20-2002, 09:38 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 533
I would always choose a 550 over a 996tt. Even though the TT is quicker, that would not be enough to pick it over the Maranello. With that said, the Porsche 996TT is a wonderful machine in it's own right. But it lacks the Ferraris 'magic' and presence...IMO
post #6 of 10 Old 08-20-2002, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
The seat was very comfortable. Most cars today have very nice seats.

There was a digital speedometer. I thought that went out with the 90s. Analog instruments are quicker to read. There was no oil temperature gauge. Odd!

There were no blind spots; I could see everything I needed to see.

The interior had a lot of cloth. That is nice but I prefer leather.

Good headroom, which I need. The steering wheel telescoped but did not adjust up & down.

I made a panic stop starting at about 80. Very smooth but at about 10 mph I got a bucking from the front end. The salesman said that was normal. Heck, I want smooth to 0 mph. With my hands off the steering wheel, it did stop straight with no pull.

The stick was similar to a VW in that, in my opinion, had slop.

All wheel drive is nice but I have an AWD for the snow in the local mountains. I live in Southern California. Other than that, I have no need for AWD.

The bottom line is: it reminded me of a dress up VW, maybe because I was in a VW so much in my youth. Way over price and too many on the road.

12 cylinders or walk
post #7 of 10 Old 08-21-2002, 04:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 454
I'm a big fan of Porsche. Maybe it was the fact that my dad let me drive his for the last couple of months I was in high school; boy, did I think I was something...I must've looked silly. It was fun, though! Life got even when I drove a small station wagon around in college.

Porsche has a distinct sound, a great feel in corners and an obviously very unique look.

Having now driven a '76 911 (yes, some time ago) and now the '77 308GTB, I'm happy to say the Ferrari is my favorite. Don't get me wrong, I think 911's are great cars but the Ferrari just turned my crank more. Any car that looks fast sitting still is special. I'm most surprised by how well the 308 corners. I never thought I'd drive a car that was as fun to drive through a turn as a Porsche. I was wrong. The 308 actually reminded of how my go-kart turned..on a dime.

I do think it'd be frustrating to buy a $100K Porsche just to have a 25 year old 308 catch one's eye quicker.

I still love the distinction between the two philosophies. Ferrari built road cars to finance racing. Porsche raced cars as a means of promoting sales.

Forza,

Dane
post #8 of 10 Old 08-21-2002, 08:16 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 457
Hi there Dane,

How about that cornering, huh?

Barry
post #9 of 10 Old 08-22-2002, 07:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 454
Barry,

I sware if the car could talk she'd be saying, "...Hey corner! You want a piece of me?!? Do You Want a Piece of Me? 'Cause, I know you're not looking at me!!" 8) 8)

What can I do but let her do her thing??? :question: :question:

Forza,

Dane
post #10 of 10 Old 08-22-2002, 06:25 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 36
I don't have a 550 but I still drive a Corvair Corsa Turbo! Yes, I still own my first car. I have owned it for 34 years.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode