Just purchased my first ever firearm... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 115 Old 10-26-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 355
Garage
Just purchased my first ever firearm...

Here it is...pretty happy about it. It's a Ruger GP-100. It fires .38 special +p rounds but at the moment is is fully loaded with six .357 Magnum rounds which tend to keep bad guys at a reasonable distance.

Any other owners, where do you purchase ammo?

Regards,
Soon to be NRA member
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 Old 10-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBFerrari View Post
Here it is...pretty happy about it. It's a Ruger GP-100. It fires .38 special +p rounds but at the moment is is fully loaded with six .357 Magnum rounds which tend to keep bad guys at a reasonable distance.

Regards,
Soon to be NRA member
You might want to file off the bead.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #3 of 115 Old 10-26-2013, 08:46 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
Rugers are a good starting point. Are you in the states? If so midway USA is a good place to buy ammo. Although its hard to find ammo anywhere with the economy the way it is.

post #4 of 115 Old 10-26-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschprung View Post
Rugers are a good starting point. Are you in the states? If so midway USA is a good place to buy ammo. Although its hard to find ammo anywhere with the economy the way it is.
Yes in the states. Figure I better stock up before they make it illegal to buy ammo...
post #5 of 115 Old 10-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Matt- You can order it online, so just do a google search.

I am more of .45 guy myself, but do not currently own one. Just a couple of Broomhandle Mausers.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 115 Old 10-26-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Yes in the states. Figure I better stock up before they make it illegal to buy ammo...

The problem isn't so much finding it but more finding it for a good price! Pretty sure were safe for awhile from gun laws. If you have questions about guns let me know. I'm pretty knowledgable in the field. In runs in the familyHave you thought about a AR-15 for your next gun?
post #7 of 115 Old 10-27-2013, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Actually in my thought process I was thinking of a short barrel shot-gun followed by a SIG semi-auto 9mm...

Any reason you would recommend the AR-15 over those?

MB
post #8 of 115 Old 10-27-2013, 05:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 47
Garage
Quote:

Regards,
Soon to be NRA member
I personally prefer "the Judge" by Taurus. It's a .45/410 which is a intruder stopper. Load it with 410 1st followed by a .45 and you won't need the rest of the cylinder. As to ammo my wife's cousin owns a gun shop so I'm OK. Good luck and be careful.
post #9 of 115 Old 10-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Can't go wrong with a Sig Matt. I have a 229 and a 226. I'd consider a 40 over a nine though. I also have a .38 cal Rossi.... good gun for the money.

Definitely invest in a good 12 gauge shot gun.

AmmoMan is a good source. Also good prices come up from time to time on these links:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com

GunBot 22lr rimfire ammo

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....

Last edited by barcheta; 10-27-2013 at 09:25 AM.
post #10 of 115 Old 10-27-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Actually in my thought process I was thinking of a short barrel shot-gun followed by a SIG semi-auto 9mm...

Any reason you would recommend the AR-15 over those?

MB
Sigs are great handguns. A 226 or a 229 are great handguns. The only thing you would have to watch out for is that the sigs pistol grips are quit large. I have a Remington 870 synthetic express 12g with a 18" barrel. 870's are like the jeeps of guns, there are parts everywhere and there cheap!
post #11 of 115 Old 10-27-2013, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Thanks for all the inputs guys. Appreciate it. All ears as unlike with cars I am new to the gun owner's world, so I have a lot to learn.
post #12 of 115 Old 10-27-2013, 10:02 PM

Here's a site that mainly specializes in ar's but everybody there knows a lot about all guns. I know the man who owns the site. It's: http://oa2.org/Forum/index.php if you have questions this would be the place to go!
Maybe see you there!
post #13 of 115 Old 10-28-2013, 03:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Quote:

Regards,
Soon to be NRA member
Let's hope it doesn't get you, or some innocent bystander, killed.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #14 of 115 Old 10-28-2013, 05:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Try this e-store
The Armory: Armory, guns, firearms, ammunition, ammo, accessories, equipment, reloading, muzzloading

My brother just bought 1,000 rounds for his .45 @$400
He says they have very aggressive pricing, good service, quick shipping

Ammo prices finally appear to be dropping...until POTUS makes another anti-gun comment
post #15 of 115 Old 10-28-2013, 05:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:

Regards,
Soon to be NRA and Ted Nugent Fan Club member
Fixed it for you and attached an inspirational video:

Texas Monthly Talks TED NUGENT - YouTube

Enjoy the new gun and be safe.
post #16 of 115 Old 10-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 212
looks heavy...light weight pistols are much easier to carry... downside is less accuracy due to recoil and short barrel... which are designed for self defense...for in close very short range not like a gunfight in the movies...there are good choices for light weight even composite weapons that don't feel like one is carrying a brick
post #17 of 115 Old 10-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 624
[QUOTE=MBFerrari;278425]Here it is...pretty happy about it. It's a Ruger GP-100. It fires .38 special +p rounds but at the moment is is fully loaded with six .357 Magnum rounds which tend to keep bad guys at a reasonable distance.

Hi Matt, from someone who's never live in the US and couldn't imagine carrying a gun around; as you allude to above, why would a bad guy care what ammo you have in your gun? Surely they couldn't tell? And also do I understand right that you intend to carry your gun around on a daily basis? Is that common I the US these days?

Cheers
Michael

Current Fcars: 360 Modena
Gone but not forgotten: 360 Spider, 575M, F430.
Other stuff: '71 Holden GTS Monaro, '80 BMW Alpina B9, '74 Porsche Targa, Caterham, MB CL500, Land Rover Discovery.
post #18 of 115 Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Owner

[QUOTE=575er;280017]
Quote:

Hi Matt, from someone who's never live in the US and couldn't imagine carrying a gun around; as you allude to above, why would a bad guy care what ammo you have in your gun? Surely they couldn't tell? And also do I understand right that you intend to carry your gun around on a daily basis? Is that common I the US these days?

Cheers
Michael

it is a lot more common today than it was a few years back...applications for permits to carry concealed weapons are at all time highs.... ammunition is in scarce supply... high unemployment rates and weak economic conditions raise concerns for those that "have" vs those that "don't have"... petty crime is rampant, car jackings common, etc... personal safety is of great concern... visual impact of a large caliber is a deterent ( from the amount of potential damage )... standard issue small caliber pea shooters do damage and inflict pain but really don't do much to immediately bring anyone down... which is a reason many police departments restrict their weapons to small low power weapons... the intent is to slow offenders, not eliminate them permanently
post #19 of 115 Old 10-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
[QUOTE=fromage;280057]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 575er View Post

it is a lot more common today than it was a few years back...applications for permits to carry concealed weapons are at all time highs.... ammunition is in scarce supply... high unemployment rates and weak economic conditions raise concerns for those that "have" vs those that "don't have"... petty crime is rampant, car jackings common, etc... personal safety is of great concern... visual impact of a large caliber is a deterent ( from the amount of potential damage )... standard issue small caliber pea shooters do damage and inflict pain but really don't do much to immediately bring anyone down... which is a reason many police departments restrict their weapons to small low power weapons... the intent is to slow offenders, not eliminate them permanently
do you believe a first-time owner will get a concealed carry permit without showing he wanders about with sacks of gold bullion or the like?

as to home defense, when I bought our weekend getaway from New York City 30 years ago, an old 1860 farmhouse on 55 acres on a two-lane rural highway, I stopped by the local dealer to buy a 'home defense' weapon. I had been an officer in the Navy and qualified with the SW1911 .45ACP - (when my old ship, Intrepid, was at Guantanamo my C.O. had me on S.P. duty in Caimanera - incidentally the spot at which they insert the tube when they want to give the woprld an enema - and my partner and I went with .45s, nightsticks and S.P. arm brassards). anyway, the store owner, a superb gunsmith, laughed and said, Seth, if that's the whole job, what you want is a short barrel pump action shotgun filled with deer slugs. Any experienced intruder hears you arm that thing and he's gone with the wind. So I bought a .357 Colt Python. and the short barrel.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #20 of 115 Old 10-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Owner

there is no prior weapons experience or specific occupation requirements for a first timer, although a weapons safety course may be required

there are employers that require the management to carry weapons while at work as part of getting employment

a short barrel shot gun might be a big distraction to the women in the area, when carried in the trousers :=)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode