"Victory By Design" - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-06-2004, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
"Victory By Design"

I just took out a home equity line of credit (second mortgage on my home) so I can buy my 328. But that's not what I had in mind to talk about here.

Has anyone else seen the videos that are played on the Speed Channel here in the U.S. called "Victory By Design"? I bought the entire series on DVD's. It's a really competent survey of the history of famous European marques that have a decent racing history. So far they have done Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Alfa Romeo and Maserati. The format is, a collector, racer and otherwise upscale enthusiast named Alain de Cadenet drives the cars and narrates these videos, wherein the significant cars of a given marque's history are borrowed from collectors and driven, some at 9/10, in beautiful settings and each car's contribution to the marque's history and the history of racing itself is narrated. The videos were produced by car-minded people so the cognicenti wouldn't be disappointed with what's said and shown, and the sound and sight of some of these absolutely irreplaceable cars is magnificent in surround sound and digital big-screen! The Ferrari one starts with an Enzo, paddle-shifting out of a corner a bit sideways and making its music, segued into a 166 MM at speed. It's a wonderful series and worthy of any enthusiast's attention, if only for the sights (closeup and at speed) and the sounds of these wonderful cars. I particularly loved the Alfa Romeo one- the prewar Alfas were so completely beautiful and proportioned in their style in such a way as to connect with some really deep wiring in my spirit that touches me in an almost embarrassing way (Enzo himself felt the same way as mentioned in the video). But the Ferrari one, a particular favorite of Alain because he owns some of the cars he drives in the video, is the best example of the value of these shows as a capsule history.

There's never been anything like this series available to us and I am constantly entertained by the DVD's I bought. I installed a 6 speaker surround sound system and a video projector in my living room that produces a sharp, bright picture that's 4 by 5 feet or so. Every one of the cars Alain drives fills the room with its shape, sound and beauty, and it's almost like being there. I can't think of anywhere else one could experience all of Ferrari's history, one car at a time, in such a potent fashion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
Sounds like something I have to have.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-06-2004, 09:12 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 895
Yeah, I've gotta agree with you on that. It's a great show. I really do enjoy, as you said, hearing and seeing those amazing cars running. It's just great.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-07-2004, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

www.victorybydesign.com

That's the URL for the website wherein you can order the DVD's. They're $25 or so each and run for an hour or more. Included on each DVD is a half hour about making the series- how and where they got the cars, how they filmed it and so on. At the end of each show they indicate who owns the cars they showed. They go around the world to shoot the videos and somehow find a really nice winding road through the countryside to run them on, always at speed (although if you watch the tach you'll see that with some cars Alain stays away from the redline a bit).
post #5 of 8 Old 05-07-2004, 05:04 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
If I ever find myself in western NY, I'm coming over to your house to watch TV!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #6 of 8 Old 05-07-2004, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Tell ya what, Pete- I'll swap the house, TV and DVD collection included (and a bottle of single malt if you're interested) for your 308 next January and February. I won't hurt your car, I'll just drive it to Key West where they don't salt the roads.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-07-2004, 09:38 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyvf750
Tell ya what, Pete- I'll swap the house, TV and DVD collection included (and a bottle of single malt if you're interested) for your 308 next January and February. I won't hurt your car, I'll just drive it to Key West where they don't salt the roads.
Now why would I want to spend January and Febuary in western NY? I live in Maine! Maybe I'll just take my 308 to Key West myself during those months.

Oh, but you've got that Home Entertainment system, the DVDs and the single malt, I'll have to think on it. I'd need more than one bottle to last 2 months though. :green: :green:

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #8 of 8 Old 05-07-2004, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

OK, how about this- I'll have a 328 eventually (a year or maybe 2 at worst); come on over here in your 308 that October, we'll both drink the Scotch and see the videos, and when it gets below 50 degrees we'll caravan to Florida for the winter. 8)

Is that a plan, or what? :up:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode