Let`s All Rant - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 503
Let`s All Rant

Catchy thread title? Got the inspiration from the 1978 disco hit "Let`s All Chant" by The Michael Zager Band...

Anyway, I was thinking the Driver`s Lounge needed somewhere to vent one`s frustration at the injustices out there re: CAR ownership in general...

EG`S: Fuel prices / Parking / Design faults / Bad drivers / Insurance / Cyclists / Motorbikes / Speed limits / Road tax / Servicing standards / Road surfaces / Clamping / Traffic wardens / Traffic jams / Jealousy? ( Ferrari only ) etc etc...

So if you fancy a good old fashioned Rant / Moan / Outburst etc. >>> Get INVLVED

ps: Anything goes...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Owner

fuel rip off

From a UK perspective...

Average UK Petrol & Diesel Prices
as of Wednesday 3rd July
  • Uleaded - 1.3386 (6.09 per gallon)
  • Diesel - 1.3854 (6.30 per gallon)
Think about the price of diesel at around 1.39 a litre at the pump.

The retailer gets just 5p of this, with a further 53p going to the fuel company for finding, extracting, refining and distribution.

The rest of the 81p of the price you pay at the pump goes to the HMRC ( Government ) in the form of Fuel Duty and VAT.

So a 60 litre fill up of diesel means 83.40 to you
  • 3.00 - Retailer / Garage
  • 31.73 - Oil Company
  • 48.67 - Tax
Incredibly 6.95 of that 48.67 tax is the VAT on the Fuel Duty! A 20.0% tax on a tax.

1st rant over...Any thoughts?
post #3 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 02:33 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Fuel is going to get higher and higher as it runs out but still, I think it's a huge rip-off.

Although not car related, I was suppose to go study at the Cambridge campus for my law school this coming September, i choose it because it was nice quiet city, then get a phone call about a month ago saying that campus was subscribed and that I'm going to the London campus instead, which I'm fine about because it's at least in central london but wow, luckily i didn't put everything down on accommodation and such in Cambridge

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun

post #4 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by karakal View Post
Although not car related, I was suppose to go study at the Cambridge campus for my law school this coming September, i choose it because it was nice quiet city, then get a phone call about a month ago saying that campus was subscribed and that I'm going to the London campus instead, which I'm fine about because it's at least in central london but wow, luckily i didn't put everything down on accommodation and such in Cambridge

Wise move not putting all your eggs in the Cambridge basket.
post #5 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 04:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 562
Never knew Cambridge has London campus... always learning something new everyday...

Gus

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
post #6 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 07:05 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanderu View Post
Never knew Cambridge has London campus... always learning something new everyday...
Haha Gus,

It's a law school called BPP I'm going to.

I had the option of going to London, Cambridge, Liverpool, Bristol, and a few other places.

Would could have been

Quote:
Wise move not putting all your eggs in the Cambridge basket.
Yep, I started looking very early too because they gave me an unconditional offer, luckily I didn't have too much time on my hands to put a deposit or yearly contract through

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun

Last edited by karakal; 07-04-2013 at 07:44 AM.
post #7 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Sounds good if oil where going to run out. But it is not. It is plentiful and cheap to extract. It will stay that way for over 100 years with current supply. The problem is your government wants your money and doesn't want you to drive. The oil companies artificially set the price for huge profits. Change that if you can. Gas is at least 50% over priced here in the US at about .58 british pound/liter. Again, with a huge tax component. We are deceived that that is for building roads, but it goes straight in the general fund to be doled out the the corporations(banks) that get our politicians elected. Kinda like England.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #8 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Sounds good if oil where going to run out. But it is not. It is plentiful and cheap to extract. It will stay that way for over 100 years with current supply. The problem is your government wants your money and doesn't want you to drive. The oil companies artificially set the price for huge profits. Change that if you can. Gas is at least 50% over priced here in the US at about .58 british pound/liter. Again, with a huge tax component. We are deceived that that is for building roads, but it goes straight in the general fund to be doled out the the corporations(banks) that get our politicians elected. Kinda like England.
Fair comment wetpet...

Another issue on the same lines is petrol forecourts in the UK always display prices per litre. Yet car people always talk in mpg ( miles per gallon ) The vast majority of UK drivers have no idea that a gallon of petrol currently costs 6.09 It`s a conspiracy to bamboozle the public with science.
post #9 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
OK Guys you have got me started!

Why did my 16M cost nearly $400K AUD and you guys can get a F40 for that?

Daily driver is a diesel and our diesel costs $1.46 per litre, yet 98 unleaded is $1.26. Diesel is basically unrefined petrol that requires additional refining to become 98?

When petrol changed from gallons to litres when I was 15yo back in 1973, my dad told me to just watch the prices sky rocket from here. He taught me that if you can get away with establishing a smaller unit quantity, then any price rise per smaller quantity would be amplified far greater than would be acceptable with a larger unit quantity.

We had a terrible bushfire. Over 200 people died, thousands effected. First huge, huge public appeal for money for the victims, next compulsory levy imposed for everybody, even if you donated heavily. Hundreds of millions raised yet the victims only receive a fraction of the raised monies. The rest goes to public coffers and administrative fees!

TBC

Better stop to check my blood pressure.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
post #10 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16M Down Under View Post

When petrol changed from gallons to litres when I was 15yo back in 1973, my dad told me to just watch the prices sky rocket from here. He taught me that if you can get away with establishing a smaller unit quantity, then any price rise per smaller quantity would be amplified far greater than would be acceptable with a larger unit quantity.
Sounds like a real wise man
post #11 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Sorry to be pedantic but you can't get an F40 for that anymore. Not a driveable one, anyway.

My 458 Italia costs the equivalent of AUD$485,000 in Holland. Not exactly for free either, but it would be another 50% higher in Denmark, so there are other people who can complain harder. Nanny-states around the world are obsessed by milking the car, especially high performance cars. It is irritating - and tyrannical - but we just need to make sure we earn enough to be able to afford them. Can't find windmills.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #12 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Owner

Thanks JazzyO, Your wise words have put my ranting in it's place and given me a reality check!

Now with a complete 'about face' and risk of killing this thread. - My wife and I are holidaying in Europe, currently in Dubrovnik. A few days ago we visited a concentration camp near Berlin. It's name was something like Sachenhausen. I cannot possibly imagine the disruption and horror that those poor people experienced. Before; captains of industry, doctors, lawyers, judges, wealthy bankers & merchants - After; starving, humiliated, hopeless, scared and beaten often to death. Mere children leaving letters with the hope that their loved ones might receive their written words, despite the knowledge that their own deaths are imminent. Absolutely heart wrenching.

So, please take my whinging with a grain of salt, I am immensely grateful for the wealth and freedom that we are all able to share. What beautiful times we live in.

post #13 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
JazzyO
Pedantic? Not so

I won't be didactic here as I am in
violent agreement with you
post #14 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Hmm, i'm thankful too about our State of living and we have all reasons to believe and know that many Things could be worse. However saying (in a way) that we Should not oppose high taxes as it could be Even worse is like saying let the crocodile eat your leg and lets hope it will get full before it treats your life.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #15 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
OK Guys you have got me started!

Because it's worth nearly the same as an F40

I am not up for a rant ... at this moment my daugther calls this sort of stuff RPP.

Rich peoples problems
post #16 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I am not up for a rant ... at this moment my daugther calls this sort of stuff RPP.

Rich peoples problems
LOL, Doug, I still remember when you told me what RPP stood for...

Still makes me chuckle when I hear it

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #17 of 49 Old 07-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Because it's worth nearly the same as an F40
Yeah Doug and here there is an F40 for sale. Only problem is $1,100,000 RPP, plus you can't drive it on our roads. So, IMO, seeing I like to actually drive my cars, my scuds worth more. RPP, I haven't heard that before - funny!!

post #18 of 49 Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

feedback

Considering the pressure imposed to end Caption Competition 1, I`am surprised no feedback on it after 14 hours??

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/dr...mpetition.html
post #19 of 49 Old 07-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Quote:
my daugther calls this sort of stuff RPP.

Rich peoples problems
Just imagine if they cut the tax - the roads would be crawling with poor people getting in our way. That really would be RPP.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #20 of 49 Old 07-08-2013, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Update

Unable for some reason to edit original thread??

Therefore as few here seem to want to RANT about car ownership in general ( I guess you do Ferrari`s )
This thread is now a `Rant About Anything` opportunity. Sometimes a simple rant opens up an interesting debate...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode