Concealed Weapons Carry Permit and Older People - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-21-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
bisel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scottsdale
Ferrari Life Posts: 419
Concealed Weapons Carry Permit and Older People

I know this has nothing to do with cars, but I thought I would share a humorous story.

I am at the receptionist counter of a medical clinic and a dear old couple emerge from the back consulting room. He is humped over using a cane. Probably mid 80's or early 90's in age. Very feeble and walking very slowly ... but a dear older gentleman. She is a few years younger than he. Maybe late 70's or early 80's. She too has some mobility problems. But, they are just a dear and wonderful older couple and they help each other with some of their mobility challenges that they are facing in their later years.

As they get to the receptionist, they greet me and we begin a casual conversation. They were visiting the audiology clinic (as I was) and in the conversation she exclaims how excited they both are about going to a concealed weapons carry class on Saturday. I tried to hide my surprise and wished them a good time.

As much as I respect the elders in our community, one cannot but wonder if carrying a concealed weapon is something that need or will be a benefit to them.

Steve
bisel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 06-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Owner
 
Maxemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Miami
Ferrari Life Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisel View Post
I know this has nothing to do with cars, but I thought I would share a humorous story.

I am at the receptionist counter of a medical clinic and a dear old couple emerge from the back consulting room. He is humped over using a cane. Probably mid 80's or early 90's in age. Very feeble and walking very slowly ... but a dear older gentleman. She is a few years younger than he. Maybe late 70's or early 80's. She too has some mobility problems. But, they are just a dear and wonderful older couple and they help each other with some of their mobility challenges that they are facing in their later years.

As they get to the receptionist, they greet me and we begin a casual conversation. They were visiting the audiology clinic (as I was) and in the conversation she exclaims how excited they both are about going to a concealed weapons carry class on Saturday. I tried to hide my surprise and wished them a good time.

As much as I respect the elders in our community, one cannot but wonder if carrying a concealed weapon is something that need or will be a benefit to them.

Steve
Steve
You need to look at it from their point of view. They probably feel vulnerable and look at this as empowerment.
Maxemus is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Owner
 
JazzyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxemus View Post
Steve
You need to look at it from their point of view. They probably feel vulnerable and look at this as empowerment.
Somehow I wonder how much empowerment you can still get at that age with very slow reactions, poor muscle control, and limited mobility (no possibility to spin around for instance). i hope the recoil doesn't snap a bone or two.

It's fine if they can still do it but at some time it becomes dangerous for themselves and their environment. My dad is slowly coming to the point where he should stop driving. At what point do you take the keys away, though? Always too soon from his perspective, always too late from yours.


Onno



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
JazzyO is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 06-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Owner
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisel View Post
I know this has nothing to do with cars, but I thought I would share a humorous story.

I am at the receptionist counter of a medical clinic and a dear old couple emerge from the back consulting room. He is humped over using a cane. Probably mid 80's or early 90's in age. Very feeble and walking very slowly ... but a dear older gentleman. She is a few years younger than he. Maybe late 70's or early 80's. She too has some mobility problems. But, they are just a dear and wonderful older couple and they help each other with some of their mobility challenges that they are facing in their later years.

As they get to the receptionist, they greet me and we begin a casual conversation. They were visiting the audiology clinic (as I was) and in the conversation she exclaims how excited they both are about going to a concealed weapons carry class on Saturday. I tried to hide my surprise and wished them a good time.

As much as I respect the elders in our community, one cannot but wonder if carrying a concealed weapon is something that need or will be a benefit to them.

Steve


I am a certified firearm instructor and competed shooting at a high level for a number of years. I also strongly support people having the ability to protect themselves from societies predators. All that having been said, many people, good law abiding people have no business with a gun. A number of people I know have come to me over the years that I have counseled not to get a gun for protection. If you are not physically, mentally and emotionally capable of using it to take a life in protection of another and are willing and able to remain competant in its employment in high stress situations it can very rapidly become a liability.
Those personal qualities cross age and gender lines. Anyone so inclined needs to do some real soul searching.
Brian is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 06-21-2013, 11:41 PM
Owner
 
a1exander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Johannesburg RSA
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I am a certified firearm instructor and competed shooting at a high level for a number of years. I also strongly support people having the ability to protect themselves from societies predators. All that having been said, many people, good law abiding people have no business with a gun. A number of people I know have come to me over the years that I have counseled not to get a gun for protection. If you are not physically, mentally and emotionally capable of using it to take a life in protection of another and are willing and able to remain competant in its employment in high stress situations it can very rapidly become a liability.
Those personal qualities cross age and gender lines. Anyone so inclined needs to do some real soul searching.
Very true.
a1exander is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 06-22-2013, 02:42 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,322
They can't be any worse than some of the recruits I've seen on the firing range. Sometimes I think I'm safer facing the enemy...

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 06-22-2013, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
bisel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scottsdale
Ferrari Life Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I am a certified firearm instructor and competed shooting at a high level for a number of years. I also strongly support people having the ability to protect themselves from societies predators. All that having been said, many people, good law abiding people have no business with a gun. A number of people I know have come to me over the years that I have counseled not to get a gun for protection. If you are not physically, mentally and emotionally capable of using it to take a life in protection of another and are willing and able to remain competant in its employment in high stress situations it can very rapidly become a liability.
Those personal qualities cross age and gender lines. Anyone so inclined needs to do some real soul searching.
+1. My original thought was exactly your point. I am wondering if this elderly couple have the physical, mental and emotional capability ...

Steve
bisel is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 AM
 
uberschprung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: WA state
Ferrari Life Posts: 931
Good for them. I am a gun enthusiast myself and when I turn 21 I'll be getting my CWP.
uberschprung is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale