Holland? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 04-29-2004, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Holland?

I'm curious as to why we have a large percentage of Dutch people here. Maine is bigger than the Netherlands yet there are only 2 of us who post here. The U.S.A. has 300 million people compared to the 16 million who live in the Netherlands. It seems like the Dutch are a big presence in the Ferrari community.

Please no one take offense. I am just curious as to how fate has landed a large percentage of people from the Netherlands to this site. It seems that per capita the Netherlands is the world champion as for Ferrari enthusiasts.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 04-29-2004, 05:22 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
Dutchman are represented very well in the Ferrari-world. We have/had some great collectors here and we have a lot of fans. I've heard it before and I have no explanation for it
post #3 of 45 Old 04-29-2004, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Bob,
I was just in a conversation with my wife. She was asking me if it is Holland or the Netherlands. I told her the Netherlands but then I don't know why we call them Dutch? If you have the time, please explain.

Capt. Pete

post #4 of 45 Old 04-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
Bob, I believe that the Belgians are actually the world authority on things Dutch. :wink: :green:

(I'm hiding under the desk after posting that!)
post #5 of 45 Old 04-30-2004, 01:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 613
Re: Holland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222
I'm curious as to why we have a large percentage of Dutch people here. Maine is bigger than the Netherlands yet there are only 2 of us who post here. The U.S.A. has 300 million people compared to the 16 million who live in the Netherlands. It seems like the Dutch are a big presence in the Ferrari community.

Please no one take offense. I am just curious as to how fate has landed a large percentage of people from the Netherlands to this site. It seems that per capita the Netherlands is the world champion as for Ferrari enthusiasts.
This is simple...

...we aint got nothing else to do... 8)

...and google has got a lot off pics comming from here...

...and thanks to Bob's mail I got some time ago...

...we also have to thank ferrari.pagina.nl...
post #6 of 45 Old 04-30-2004, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Bob,
I was just in a conversation with my wife. She was asking me if it is Holland or the Netherlands. I told her the Netherlands but then I don't know why we call them Dutch? If you have the time, please explain.
I always call it the Netherlands. Holland just sounds weird the Dutch word for our country is Nederland, which is close the the Netherlands. And we are Dutch, don't know why they called it that way. I don't even know where Holland comes from
post #7 of 45 Old 04-30-2004, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bob
Quote:
Bob,
I always call it the Netherlands. Holland just sounds weird the Dutch word for our country is Nederland, which is close the the Netherlands. And we are Dutch, don't know why they called it that way. I don't even know where Holland comes from
At least when you are from Maine everyone knows why you are called a Mainiac!

Capt. Pete
post #8 of 45 Old 04-30-2004, 07:00 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 776
Try being a Carolinian :-?

Do you think God stays in Heaven because she is afraid of what she sees down here?

Owner and Operator of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. A few mods here and there... but just you wait and see what I have in store for her...
post #9 of 45 Old 05-01-2004, 01:07 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
And there are alsoo belgian guy's on the forum as you can see.
Regards,
Kinnie
post #10 of 45 Old 05-01-2004, 04:40 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 824
I think it can be partly explained by the fact Dutchmen always have been a folk of trade in history, so 'we' actually are more internationally orientated. This means we do often adopt new technology relatively soon (like the internet) and that we always are able to speak at least a second language (most of the time English or German). This makes it more easy to conversate on a world forum like this compared to Frenchmen for instance, who do not speak english in the numbers people overhere do!

'We' are more interested in the rest of the world (for trade etc.) than most other countries are in the Netherlands. 'We' only get blaimed for our drug policy, etc., otherwise 'we' are not interesting ;-)

Also note that the Ferrari Club Nederland do exist for 20 years now and that non owners can become member too. Last but not least, even the royal family have been driving Ferrari for some 50 years, so it gives the marque a little more charm.

Secondly, it is the Netherlands! The Netherlands consists of 12 provinces (or counties, because states are too big of a word). Two of them are called Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland). These two counties are actually called Holland in history, so the other 10 were not included! This officially means Holland is part of the Netherlands, but they are often used interchangeably. I live in both (Zuid-Holland), Bob doesn't (Groningen, so the Netherlands)!

As for Dirk, he used to live in the Netherlands, before Belgium was separted from the Netherlands ages ago. That is why Belgium is bilangual (Fench/Dutch), since a part of France and a part of the Netherlands was used to create Belgium. Might explain the 'friendly war' that is going on between Belgium and the Netherlands.

Niels

Doomed for life with the Ferrari virus
post #11 of 45 Old 05-01-2004, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Neils,
That is a great explaination. Thank you. The fact that the Dutch speak english and the French do not accounts for a lot.

But where does the term "Dutch" come from?

Capt. Pete
post #12 of 45 Old 05-01-2004, 08:29 AM

Don't know where the term 'Dutch' comes from, since it is not used here and doesn't sound similar to a word in this language. BTW just to continue the history lesson a bit:

Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland where the two 'counties' that where important trade centres in the middle ages. The other 'counties' where relatively unimportant and where seen more as 'foreign' people than as countryman. Hence, Holland has been the name used abroad often in naming the Netherlands, since all trade relations where with the two 'Holland' counties.

It even became close that you all would speak Dutch, but unfortunately this di'dn't happen since 'we' traded New York (or New Amsterdam then) for Surinam territory. But, still many streets in NY have a Dutch name, not to mention areas like Brooklyn (from Breukelen, a city in the middle of Utrecht, the Netherlands) and Harlem (from Haarlem, capital city of Noord-Holland).

Althought Amsterdam is known better than the entire country, it is not the capital city of Noord-Holland (Haarlem is), but only for the entire country. Most foreigners find it confusing that almost every ambessy and all parlements and governmental departments are not located in Amsterdam, but in The Hague, Zuid-Holland, the Netherlands.

So still, Holland is the 'centre' of the Netherlands. Nothing changed since the middle ages, I assume ;-)

Niels

post #13 of 45 Old 05-01-2004, 08:52 AM

BTW, sorry for the many spelling mistakes, I typed it a bit in a hurry. I for one find it annoying when I read my own mistakes

Niels

post #14 of 45 Old 05-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
Holland

Hey guy's, About the word DUTCH .
Dutch is a Germanic Language (Deutch )spoken throughout Holland and under the name of Flemish in Belgium.
The Netherlands is also referred to as : The Low countries or Holland by the fact that it is half water and half land, and sometimes called Land of Rembrant.
But the official name is : The Netherlands. Even so, a great many people prefer Holland a name often used with affection and very commercial in tradings.308Rob
post #15 of 45 Old 05-01-2004, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Thanks for the history lesson guys! I really enjoy hearing people speak about their history with such a passion. I know that the Dutch of history were great explorers, traders and world leaders in Art. Today the Dutch are leaders in social reform and tolerance of others. The Netherlands is a beacon to the rest of the world when it comes to peace. But why do you not know why you are called Dutch?

I think Rob's explaination of Deutch is a valid one. I speak some German and have been able to comprehend a little of the Dutch language just by looking at it. English is also a Germanic language. Maybe that is why the Americans like the Dutch more than the French.

Capt. Pete
post #16 of 45 Old 05-01-2004, 08:00 PM

Just came back from the pub and have too many bears in me, but I just wondered about a few songs I heard in the pub. I was wondering if you happen to know these famous songs (at least in the Netherlands):

Golden Earring with 'When a lady smiles'
Golden Earring with 'Radar love'
Hermes House Band with 'I will survive'
George Baker with 'Little green back' (This one was used in the Pulp Fiction movie if I am right)

They are known by almost everyone here and I was wondering if they made it internationally since they are in English.

As for the Dutch word, I am not totally convinced about that yet, but it can be true! Deutsch would be acceptable for Germany (since this is called Deutschland there), but it does not explain (I think) why they use it in the English language because they use the term German for Deutsch!

Niels

post #17 of 45 Old 05-01-2004, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250lm
Just came back from the pub and have too many bears in me, but I just wondered about a few songs I heard in the pub. I was wondering if you happen to know these famous songs (at least in the Netherlands):

Golden Earring with 'When a lady smiles'
Golden Earring with 'Radar love'
Hermes House Band with 'I will survive'
George Baker with 'Little green back' (This one was used in the Pulp Fiction movie if I am right)

They are known by almost everyone here and I was wondering if they made it internationally since they are in English.

As for the Dutch word, I am not totally convinced about that yet, but it can be true! Deutsch would be acceptable for Germany (since this is called Deutschland there), but it does not explain (I think) why they use it in the English language because they use the term German for Deutsch!

Niels
OK Niels, you have drunk a bit more than I. I don't want to hear about all the bears you have had but I do want to know what it means to be "Dutch". I can tell you what it means to be a Mainer or a Mainiac if you are interested, but I have no idea where the "Dutch" is from. It is seeming to me that the Dutch do not know where the Dutch are from.

(Oh, All you Dutchmen, I'm not sure if it is called the Netherlands, it might be called Holland. You may want to check before you try and have a package delivererd.)

Capt. Pete
post #18 of 45 Old 05-02-2004, 07:33 AM

Try http://www.m-w.com for an explanation of the term Dutch. I think it is related to the Deutsch term as note by Rob, although it is not mentioned specifically.

Peter, I do not entirely understand your question, but being Dutch is not that bad. Only problem is that Dutch people have two major disadvatages in the eyes of foreigners: they have a big mouth and loud voice and they are sitting on their money.

And contrary to what most foreigners believe: Not every Dutch man or woman uses drugs, walks on wooden shoes and lives in a mill ;-)

Niels

post #19 of 45 Old 05-03-2004, 04:08 AM

My dad also reads this board (hi dad :green and he send me the explanation in Dutch. I will try to translate it correctly.

The name Holland comes from Holtland, translates to Dutch as houtstreek, in Englisch as wood-area. It was probably situated near Leiden. Now it is the name for the west of the Netherlands, the provinces North- and South-Holland.

Abroad the name is often used for all of the Netherlands.

To reduce the dominance of the region it was split up in 1840, when King Willem 1 retired.

So basically the name comes form all the forests that once were in that area.
post #20 of 45 Old 05-03-2004, 05:13 AM

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode