Garage Dehumidifier - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Garage Dehumidifier

Gents
I'm actively considering putting an 'endless pool' into the garage - basically a 7' X 12' pool which includes current system allowing you to swim in the same position at a speed of your choice for as long as you like... a threadmill for swimmers so to speak!

Anyway - if I go ahead with this it will necessitate my long deliberated car lift, and initial calculations look like pool, 360, 308 and Ducati will all fit.

Now, my main concern is... humidity and cars. The pool supplying company have recommended a "Calorex Vaporex 55 with 5kw air heater battery" dehumidifier. The Vaporex 55 Range of swimming pool dehumidifiers

I know this is not a specific Ferrari question, but I'm guessing there are folks here that have dehumidifiers in their garages and other with pools in their homes so there might be some knowledge base to tap into.

Any thoughts you might have on the above and especially on the issue of humidity/dehumidifiers for the garage would be most welcome.

(Obviously issue of the eventual addition of a 550/575 to the garage will have to be discussed in a seperate thread.... )

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Owner
 
KKRace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Near Olney, MD
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Sounds like an addition is in order. I would strongly consider walling off the area for the pool and venting it separate from the garage. I've been in homes with indoor pools and hot tubs, in the winter time when it's heated they give off a ton of moisture. I'm not an expert on the subject.

Is the garage heated? That will make a big difference on the car. In the mid temp months when it still gets cold at night and warm durning the day the car acts like a cold glass of ice tea sitting outside on a hot summer day and will sweat like crazy.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
KKRace is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Owner
 
KKRace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Near Olney, MD
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Although your climate will dictate a lot of this? I don't know how humid or cold it gets where you are?

------------------------------

Life is Good!
KKRace is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Owner
 
550JM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Gents
I'm actively considering putting an 'endless pool' into the garage - basically a 7' X 12' pool which includes current system allowing you to swim in the same position at a speed of your choice for as long as you like... a threadmill for swimmers so to speak!

Anyway - if I go ahead with this it will necessitate my long deliberated car lift, and initial calculations look like pool, 360, 308 and Ducati will all fit.

Now, my main concern is... humidity and cars. The pool supplying company have recommended a "Calorex Vaporex 55 with 5kw air heater battery" dehumidifier. The Vaporex 55 Range of swimming pool dehumidifiers

I know this is not a specific Ferrari question, but I'm guessing there are folks here that have dehumidifiers in their garages and other with pools in their homes so there might be some knowledge base to tap into.

Any thoughts you might have on the above and especially on the issue of humidity/dehumidifiers for the garage would be most welcome.

(Obviously issue of the eventual addition of a 550/575 to the garage will have to be discussed in a seperate thread.... )
Leave all engines running!

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
550JM is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
Although your climate will dictate a lot of this? I don't know how humid or cold it gets where you are?
We're Dublin Ireland. So temps between coldest about -5c (22F) and warmest 25c (80F) in terms of external winter/summer weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
Is the garage heated? That will make a big difference on the car. In the mid temp months when it still gets cold at night and warm durning the day the car acts like a cold glass of ice tea sitting outside on a hot summer day and will sweat like crazy.
Garage is heated, and fully insulated from the external environment. It's built to same spec as rest of hours. 2 centrally heated radiators, tiled floor, double boarded and insulated walls. My main concern is that the water will be maintained at approx 26 degrees C. Ambiant room temp is probably around 20C. Therefore physics would dictate that the water will be inclined to evaporate as it is warmer than the air temp. (at least at times when the cover is off the pool).

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Barry- Unless you do something, the inside of your Ferraris will smell like chlorine eventually. A separate location or a cover with an exhaust fan vented to the outside would seem to be the best solution. Plus a dehumidifier. Or build a pool house?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Owner
 
Granucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: far and away
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
THOUGHTS

Interior pools/spas are the most difficult to maintain PH levels, and typically you may experience a strong chemecial odor, which, of course will permiate to your leather.

IF you get a reverse osmosis system, you would be better served or one that has a slight salt level to remove any other chemicals.

as for the humidifier, not a bad idea but you'll need to monitor too dry situations too

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !


Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Granucci is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 212
with differentials between water temp and air temp along with differentials in humidity there will be corrosive chemicals in the air... that will be attacking excposed metal... one only needs to look at pools that have been a round for a while... there are signs of corrosion everywhere... pools have their own ecosystems which are extememly difficult ( costly ) to maintain in balance in a mixed enviornment... the running consus for indoor pools is that they be separate / isolated from other areas... on TV often there are designer houses that feature an incorporated pool as part of a house, look fantastic, but reminds me of all the issues friends have had having a pool merely attached to the main house...

a dehumidifier would strip the moisture from the air, but would not prevent the chemical carrying air from entering the area and coming in contact with everything.

Last edited by fromage; 04-05-2013 at 09:52 PM.
fromage is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 04-06-2013, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Guys
Thank you for your observations. Although it will be a relatively small body of water (7' x 12' x 4'), one thing I had not considered was the chemicals which may as a result be dispersed into the air. Or the fact that it could be possible to remove too much moisture from the room as well.

Some more things to consider. Further thoughts most welcome.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 04-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 86
Hi Barry,
a few years ago when the kids were smaller we got an endless pool as theyboth swam a lot. Partly due to the UK weather but mostly due to the fact thatit takes quite a bit of practice to swim at the same speed as the pump it didn'tget used much so was an expensive mistake. The kids couldn't get the knack ofswimming at exactly the same speed and gave up on swimming in it. It justbecame a big hot tub.

I also found that I was a little 'long' for the pool. If I swam a little tooslowly and drifted back in the endless pool even a little then I would hit myfeet on the lower shelf that's in the water.

If you haven't already I strongly suggest you try one, not as a group 'fun'activity but trying to use it to swim against seriously.

Jem
Jemt is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 04-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Owner
 
550JM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Barry, do you have space enough to install glass walls around the pool with a sliding door? When you would leave around 1,50 meters around the pool you should have space enough. That way you'd only need a ventilation system in the pool area and you shouldn't have a problem in the rest of the garage.Just a thought

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
550JM is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 04-07-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemt View Post
Hi Barry,
a few years ago when the kids were smaller we got an endless pool as theyboth swam a lot. Partly due to the UK weather but mostly due to the fact thatit takes quite a bit of practice to swim at the same speed as the pump it didn'tget used much so was an expensive mistake. The kids couldn't get the knack ofswimming at exactly the same speed and gave up on swimming in it. It justbecame a big hot tub.

I also found that I was a little 'long' for the pool. If I swam a little tooslowly and drifted back in the endless pool even a little then I would hit myfeet on the lower shelf that's in the water.

If you haven't already I strongly suggest you try one, not as a group 'fun'activity but trying to use it to swim against seriously.

Jem
Thanks Jem. - you gotta PM

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 04-07-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550JM View Post
Barry, do you have space enough to install glass walls around the pool with a sliding door? When you would leave around 1,50 meters around the pool you should have space enough. That way you'd only need a ventilation system in the pool area and you shouldn't have a problem in the rest of the garage.Just a thought
Good suggestion, and actually, yes I would have enough space as it would only be required at one end of the pool, to seal it off from the rest of the garage space. Good thought....

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Test Swim

Barry,

Thought I'd say hello and let you know there is an Endless Pools dealer in Ireland as well as a demonstration opportunity or two we may be able to set you up with for a test swim. If you're interested, certainly let us know. In addition, Endless Pool design experts would be more than happy to offer planning assistance for your preferred installation and discuss your thoughts and ideas. Let me know if either of these options sounds good to you!

-Rob
twotreeroad is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 04-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
wetpet is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale