Would you take a 918 slot? - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Would you take a 918 slot?

I was offered a 918 - no idea if this is uncommon ... thoughts?

800k - Dec Delivery.
champagne612 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Owner
 
355dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MAR
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,132
Take it. I'd wager values will stay strong on these.
355dreamer is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Owner
 
Maxemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Miami
Ferrari Life Posts: 239
Doug
Odds are they won't sellout. I was offered a slot early on and from what I have heard around town it's pretty common. However, I absolutely love this car just can't wrap my min around the price tag. It's going to be amazing though
Ernie
Maxemus is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Owner
 
Scottish16M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
The McLaren P1 will be the real standout of the latest Hypercar battle, just awesome and to bag the bonus only 375 are being built. Who the heck wants a $800k Porker Dougie?

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!


Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
Scottish16M is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxemus View Post
Doug
Odds are they won't sellout. I was offered a slot early on and from what I have heard around town it's pretty common. However, I absolutely love this car just can't wrap my min around the price tag. It's going to be amazing though
Ernie
Ernie I agree and they are struggling for sales on the 918.

I see the same scenario as the CGT - owners took a beating right off the bat.

The flip side it's one hell of a car as you stated ... pass.
champagne612 is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish16M View Post
The McLaren P1 will be the real standout of the latest Hypercar battle, just awesome and to bag the bonus only 375 are being built. Who the heck wants a $800k Porker Dougie?
Because they were the only one who made a super car offer too me

Peter that Porker is going to be above 800hp and be very close to 7 minutes flat at the ring.
champagne612 is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I was offered a 918 - no idea if this is uncommon ... thoughts?

800k - Dec Delivery.
Doug, there is no doubt that the 918 will be a technical masterpiece...as always with Porsche. My doubt are more regarding the price behavior of their cars related to their production philosophy...as generally seen with the Carrera GT. Could be a reactivation of that sad story for owners (price wise).
A "Ring" 7 minutes lap time may be soon reached with a normal production Ferrari soon (if that is a important sticker point to you and for a third of the price). I would think i.e. at the new 458 Scuderia or a lightweight "M" version of the F12. Just my 2 cents.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
212Export is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 03-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 212
it depends on where your head is and the demand ( hype ) for the car is... I have taken a preproduction postions a number of times on things like cars, airplanes and boats... each time the results were good... If you like the car and would enjoy it " git 'er done,", if you are doing it just to flip it, pass.
fromage is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Doug, there is no doubt that the 918 will be a technical masterpiece...as always with Porsche. My doubt are more regarding the price behavior of their cars related to their production philosophy...as generally seen with the Carrera GT. Could be a reactivation of that sad story for owners (price wise).
A "Ring" 7 minutes lap time may be soon reached with a normal production Ferrari soon (if that is a important sticker point to you and for a third of the price). I would think i.e. at the new 458 Scuderia or a lightweight "M" version of the F12. Just my 2 cents.
It would be nice to have something special - but owning the 918 would be too much brain damage.

When I asked about production - the owner of the P dealer responded it's based on how many pre orders there are ... which makes very little cents.

Fromage - I like taking risks when betting on myself to perform - my hat is off to you for the ability to make money ROI on a hobby.
champagne612 is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 AM
 
Ramy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Riyadh.
Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I was offered a 918 - no idea if this is uncommon ... thoughts?

800k - Dec Delivery.
Offered to anyone who's asking on this side of the world.
Ramy is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 AM
 
karakal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I was offered a 918 - no idea if this is uncommon ... thoughts?

800k - Dec Delivery.
Don't see why you shouldn't think about it, however, I would pass with the amount of cars you currently have

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
karakal is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Owner
 
MC355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 979
Doug,

you have professed how you feel Porsche's are the "neighborhood bike." how would a 918 change your mind? just curious...

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
MC355 is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 03-05-2013, 03:17 PM
 
NickBongio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 550
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362525395.236793.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  82.9 KB

After seeing this picture i think its a very nice car!!

First private delivery!! (Dubai ofcourse....)
NickBongio is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Owner
 
Sandy Eggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Encinitas, CA
Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
When I asked about production - the owner of the P dealer responded it's based on how many pre orders there are ... which makes very little cents.
Actually, it makes 80,000,000 "cents" per pre-order.
Sandy Eggo is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Owner
 
MC355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBongio View Post
Attachment 54855

After seeing this picture i think its a very nice car!!

First private delivery!! (Dubai ofcourse....)
As usual, beautiful pic Nick!

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
MC355 is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
Actually, it makes 80,000,000 "cents" per pre-order.
LOL

That's a taste of reality.
champagne612 is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC355 View Post
Doug,

you have professed how you feel Porsche's are the "neighborhood bike." how would a 918 change your mind? just curious...
I think that's the problem - as special as the 918 is it's associated with the most reliable sports car ever made.

Sort of like a SLR Mclaren that sold new for 500k three years later is worth 250k.

No matter what Porsche will be tethered to their meat and potatoes of their line up.

The call came out of the blue - my college room mate owns a P dealership and reached out which is very out of character.

Regardless - seeing the stretch Porsche is making for sales screams depreciation ... flip side is the new GT3 is incredible! 9000 rpm's and almost 500 hp.
champagne612 is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Owner
 
Maxemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Miami
Ferrari Life Posts: 239
^ Doug
You're thinking prudently. The first time I saw this car I fell in love with it myself. The more they build the higher the likely hood of the car depreciating to a more reasonable level
Maxemus is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxemus View Post
^ Doug
You're thinking prudently. The first time I saw this car I fell in love with it myself. The more they build the higher the likely hood of the car depreciating to a more reasonable level
It's easy for me to justify a lot of things but not this time.

Do you or anyone else have a concern over the first generation KERS in road cars?

It's one thing to have a factory tech team nearby when a car is producing 800 - 900 hp. but let's face it we aren't all Jim G with race techs at our beckon call and I don't a lot of owners who can handle this kind of hp.
champagne612 is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Owner
 
MC355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 979
pretty nice to have an ex-roomate who owns a Porsche Dealer. wish my roommate in college owned a Ferrari/Maserati dealership!

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
MC355 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale