Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Driver's Lounge (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/drivers-lounge/)
-   -   Not your average Murcielago (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/drivers-lounge/1994-not-your-average-murcielago.html)

mchferrari 04-06-2004 07:20 PM

Not your average Murcielago

Pete04222 04-06-2004 07:41 PM

OMG!! That is why you should carry a fire extinguisher in every car you own! I carry one in the Jeep and am putting one in the Ferrari. The fire in those pictures probably started out as a small electrical or fuel fire that could have easily been put out with a small fire extinguisher without spilling your coffee. Without an extinguisher, it gets out of control and all you can do is drink your coffee and watch it burn.

You want to talk about feeling helpless, everyone on this forum should look at these pictures and go down to the hardware store and buy a fire extinguisher to keep in every car they own. Ferrari or not....don't let it burn if you don't have to.

Rosso 04-06-2004 08:35 PM

Man. That's tough.

Sounds like good advice, Pete.

4kids3fish 04-06-2004 08:37 PM

Sage advice Pete. The car was probaly on fire for a good while before the firemen arrived, and the driver had plenty of time to stand around. Luckily no-one had trouble getting out.

We don't tend to think that much about increasing non-performance or non-appearance aspects of our cars. I have seen a couple of cars burning "in traffic" over the years, & they were probably all controllable for the first five minutes.

For example, the Sultan of Brunei''s 456 Estate in another thread could be very well be carrying around 4 or 5 kids and be in a small shunt that starts a fire. He could easily afford to have a racing fire extinguishing system plumbed-in to the engine compartment that could make the fire just a small nuisance, but he probably hasn't thought to have it done.

Pete04222 04-06-2004 08:54 PM

Something else I wanted to comment on on these photos - some might say that "there is no way I could put out a fire like that with an extinguisher" Well, no, but contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe, cars do not erupt into balls of fire. This fire started small and grew.
I have training in basic and advanced marine firefighting and by looking at those pictures, I'd say this car had been on fire for about a half hour to 45 minutes before the pictures were taken.

Look at picture 1 - This is when the firefighters arrived and the car is fully involved. There is no saving it. Put it out, clear the road.

Picture 2 is more interesting. Look at the paint. That fire is hot, and it has been hot for a while. The fuel tank is obviously ruptured. You have all heard of the bulkhead between the engine and passenger compartments refered to as the "firewall". Well, look at how it did its job! The driver's door is open. the rear of the car is an inferno and the paint on the passenger's compartment is undamaged. The driver had plenty of time to get out without being harmed. Cheers to Lambo for that!

My main point is this - Engines that catch on fire generally stop running and force you to pull over to the side of the road. If you pop the hood and see flames, you can grab the extinguisher, put the fire out, call a tow truck and get the car repaired. If you don't have an extinguisher, the car in these pictures could be yours.

360 Spyder 04-06-2004 09:39 PM

Speaking as a person who has been a firefighter and in a vehicle fire...GET AN EXTINGUISHER FOR YOUR CARS!!!!!!!
I was driving an older Toyota van one time and I was just cruising down the road late one night (about 2 in the morning). In this particular van, the engine was under the driver and passenger. I suddenly felf my backside getting hot. I looked out the window and down to the wheel which I was sitting above and noticed an orange glow. I imediately pulled over and got out. I lifted the drivers seat to be meet with a ball of fire. I ran to the back of the van to get the extinguisher only to find someone had taken it out earlier. By the time the fire department got there, there was nothing left of the van. The entire interior had been gutted by the flames and all the windows had melted out. If the extinguisher had of been in the van, I could have put it out as it was only from where the belt had slipped off, got hung and heated by the friction of the pully still spinning on it.
So, to wrap this up...GET AN EXTINGUISHER FOR YOUR CARS!!!!

Dj Dirk 04-07-2004 07:55 AM

ooh no, my poor Murcie

i got fire extinguishers in my cars, but hey it's obligated by law here
and so it should have been in that Murcie, since it was on german plates

Andrew 04-07-2004 11:17 AM

doesn't it depend on when you actually catch the fire? What I mean is how effective can the fire extigusiher be if the start of the fire is big?

A few years ago my brother had a small fire start under his hood. You can imagine that is scared the hell out of him. Luckly he got it before it got the car.

Bazil 04-07-2004 12:42 PM

That's so SAD!! Poor car!!!

I was told this time that I had to have one fitted in my new company car - which wasn't the case 3 years ago.

I confess that I'd never had one before - but it's something I'm definitely going to put in the Ferrari too.

Testarossa BR 04-07-2004 12:52 PM

Oww :o Well Here in Brasil is Law to have a fire extinguisher in your car. I don't know if a fire extinguisher could help on that Enzo big crash, is very limited the use of it.

marcos 04-08-2004 04:14 AM

OMG

Stradale 04-08-2004 05:39 PM

What lousy luck. :x

adlinyusman 04-08-2004 09:01 PM

anyone know what could've caused the fire in the first place? Did the fuel tank rupture? Or was there some kind of electrical problem that sparked the fire in the first place?

LK1 05-02-2004 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adlinyusman
anyone know what could've caused the fire in the first place? Did the fuel tank rupture? Or was there some kind of electrical problem that sparked the fire in the first place?

It was equipped with the rare but special "Spontaneous Combustion Engine" :green:

Spasso 05-03-2004 01:02 PM

My first question when seeing these pictures,"Why did that BRAND NEW CAR catch on fire?!!!!" Can a design item on a new car be so bad that it catches on fire while driving? It's a relatively NEW CAR!

Is there a design flaw? This just doesn't happen for no reason! If I was a Murcielago owner and saw these pictures I would be hammering the service techs to find out what happened before it happened to mine!.

Now, if it was a 25 year old 308 in that picture I wouldn't be surprised. It's amazing how many out there haven't had ALL of the fuel and VENT hoses changed yet!

I carry a 2.5 lb Halon up front with me so I can fight my way into the trunk for the 5 lb ABC. I hope I never have to use the ABC because of it's caustic nature but if I did then the fire would have been large enough to warrant an engine out cleanup/repair anyway.

What a sad loss!

Dr. Bob 05-03-2004 01:45 PM

I heard a story of a guy that put out the fire on his car, but then the insurance said they don't cover the damage anymore then. How true can this story be?

4kids3fish 05-03-2004 04:08 PM

What's an ABC spasso?

Dr Bob - that is just plain nuts!! If the guy HADN'T done anything the insurer could have been looking at paying for a write-off! If true, the company is just looking for any excuse not to pay a genuine claim. :evil: